Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Ding ding. We have a winner. It is an infected k603 horn.

 

Hey Boss,

Where does the mid horn cross??

tc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if the 15” driver has a cast frame or formed metal?

Also, is this a new driver design or repurposed from the CWIII? From the outside, It appears to be a standard $100.00 Eminence Kappalite (or similar).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume, but I don't know for sure, that it is a K-33 like the previous models.

 

Although these are sometimes made for Klipsch  by Eminence, the K-33 can't be purchased from Eminence, it is proprietary. Whether a Kappalite is similar enough, or whether it may or may not be better, is an open question. 

 

If you are doing a DIY, you might want to look at some of the Cornscala builds. The best versions seem to be the ones actually specified by Bob Crites (there are multiple configurations). His versions seem to have the most "design" in them and not merely various parts tossed together. I am obviously showing my bias here.

 

If you are trying to mimic the above Cornwall system, two of the major difficulties you will have is getting the cabinet geometry right  (including ports) correct. (use BECs recommendations). The other major problem will be getting a mid-range horn that is Modified tractrix (with the mumps) in design. They are designed by Klipsch (Roy Delgado) and not sold to DIYers. I know of no good substitutes. Again, my bias is showing.

 

Other than those two major snags. It is just a matter of getting a dozen or so other variables correct (esp the crossover). 

 

Good Luck,

-Tom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I assume, but I don't know for sure, that it is a K-33 like the previous models.

I believe you are correct that it is a K-33, I believe Roy answered that above in this thread,  but I will track it down and repost it.

 

Travis

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 8:41 PM, IB Slammin said:

 

 

Hey Boss,

Where does the mid horn cross??

tc

 

 

700Hz                                                 specs here :  https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Cornwall-2019-Spec-Sheet-v01.pdf

 

https://www.klipsch.com/products/cornwall-iv-floorstanding-speaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I didn't love fully horn loaded systems, I could really be tempted with these...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

 

Thanks. With the larger horn I had hoped that it would cross deeper......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, IB Slammin said:

 

Thanks. With the larger horn I had hoped that it would cross deeper......

At various times, Roy has talked about the importance of matching the polar pattern of each driver in the crossover region to make the transition as seamless as possible. I suspect that was a key element in the choice here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 7:01 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Ding ding. We have a winner. It is an infected k603 horn.

Maybe he can explain some of this stuff in October.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, glens said:

Poly diaphragms on the mids...

A lot of people don't like Ti crossed that low or used in the mids in general.  I know several folks vote for phenolic along with me.  Seems more realistic. Wonder if the poly is close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on whether they will use all birch ply in order to enhance water resistance?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

Any word on whether they will use all birch ply in order to enhance water resistance?

I see you OD 🤣

 

20 hours ago, Marvel said:

If I didn't love fully horn loaded systems, I could really be tempted with these...

Bookshelf speakers next to your MWM's?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

A lot of people don't like Ti crossed that low or used in the mids in general.  I know several folks vote for phenolic along with me.  Seems more realistic. Wonder if the poly is close.

 

I'm temporarily using my LS crossovers with my MWMs and K-69/BM-D750 drivers, and with the crossover rolling in the tweeter, the Ti  as only mids, it sounds pretty smooth. I know the K-69 is a little ragged up higher. I've always been pretty satisfied with the phenolic diaphragms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bill W. said:

At various times, Roy has talked about the importance of matching the polar pattern of each driver in the crossover region to make the transition as seamless as possible. I suspect that was a key element in the choice here.

 

Thanks Bill. I had not considered that.

My ear hears something a bit odd when a coned woofer produces the mids in a reflex design. I want to hear the horn produce most of the midrange.

I cross my DBB's at 450hz using an extreme slope circuit on the LF board. Subjective I guess.  ???

tc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At more than 2” taller than the IIIs it will be a bit harder to fit these in with many decors.   They were already gigantic.  Still, I look forward to hearing them at my dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ODS123 said:

At more than 2” taller than the IIIs it will be a bit harder to fit these in with many decors.   They were already gigantic.  Still, I look forward to hearing them at my dealer.

They are actually the same height. In the old spec sheet, the riser was not taken into account. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

They are actually the same height. In the old spec sheet, the riser was not taken into account. 

Yes Chief Bonehead is right, my CWIIIs are 2" higher than what is indicated on the CWIII sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mustang_flht said:

Yes Chief Bonehead is right, my CWIIIs are 2" higher than what is indicated on the CWIII sheet.

They must have started usin' summa them metric rulers in the factree.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...