Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
tipatina

Cornwall IV

Recommended Posts

@Chief bonehead you have to tell him how to pronounce Tractrix(R) and then teach him to use Tractrixially in a sentence..

 

They sound "very impressive."

 

Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I recall, the woofer on the CWIII was moved up on the motor board (as opposed to the CWI and CWII) to reduce a standing wave which smoothed the low frequency response.

 

It appears that the woofer has been moved back down on the CWIV to make room for the larger mid horn.  This makes me wonder if the woofer location is not so critical, or if the CWIV handles that some other way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had to guess, based on a little toying with tophats and bass bins...

 

Woofer location is critical, with respect to the location of the OTHER drivers.

 

For the longest time I could not figure out why I preferred my stock ‘91 LaScalas over my modded LSI Splits. The space between the bass and the rest of the sound spectrum was too great at my listening distance. The rubber feet and extra cabinet height of the tophat made that much of a difference.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Seadog said:

As I recall, the woofer on the CWIII was moved up on the motor board (as opposed to the CWI and CWII) to reduce a standing wave which smoothed the low frequency response.

 

It appears that the woofer has been moved back down on the CWIV to make room for the larger mid horn.  This makes me wonder if the woofer location is not so critical, or if the CWIV handles that some other way.

I noticed that too.... I have no doubt that Roy found another way to address that issue so that it’s a non-issue!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bill W. said:

I noticed that too.... I have no doubt that Roy found another way to address that issue so that it’s a non-issue!

I suspect you would be correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely it smoothed out the transition between the two drivers, having them as close as possible, plus the mid horn was cut out on the bottom already (at a different radius from that of the woofer frame).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gravitas, nice choice of words

 

"More Robust"

 

Midrange, more flesh and blood.

 

No strain. Sense of distirtion.

 

Control, Finesse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just from the looks of the new hardware alone, the Cornwall has finally been given what was due.  Well done Chief

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This latest review covers most of the bases well...eventually.  I think it might have been a little easier to understand discussions of toe-in if it were first described as being directional at higher frequencies (i.e., the horn parts of the loudspeaker), and that other loudspeakers splash all their output around the room.  This is different about this loudspeaker.  It also has solid acoustic output out to 45-50 degrees off-axis laterally at higher frequencies (unlike most other horn-loaded loudspeakers). 

 

Also the discussions of the bass response in room corners was I believe rather badly done.  Instead, the explanation that all loudspeakers pick up low bass response when placed near a room corner is appropriate here.  EQing the bass flat again after placing in the corners will gain you almost an octave of extended bass response (and a little absorption on the side walls will clean up the "sloppiness" that the presenter described).  I think most people can easily understand this.  That's why the Cornwall was designed as it was in 1959.

 

Chris

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody opened one of these up yet?  I'd really like to see the K702 driver... I'm guessing it's just a K70G/K701G with a new diaphragm but maybe not?

 

Also, though I'm not sure why anyone would want to, there is a very good chance you could easily 2way a CW4 using a KPT310M crossover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, Bill W. said:
On 9/20/2019 at 11:43 PM, Seadog said:

As I recall, the woofer on the CWIII was moved up on the motor board (as opposed to the CWI and CWII) to reduce a standing wave which smoothed the low frequency response.

 

It appears that the woofer has been moved back down on the CWIV to make room for the larger mid horn.  This makes me wonder if the woofer location is not so critical, or if the CWIV handles that some other way.

I noticed that too.... I have no doubt that Roy found another way to address that issue so that it’s a non-issue!

Not positive but it may have something to do with the new port pieces and I think the old style port shelf on the inside is now gone. I could be why the bass driver it different as it was not the problem it was at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtel said:

Not positive but it may have something to do with the new port pieces and I think the old style port shelf on the inside is now gone. I could be why the bass driver it different as it was not the problem it was at one point.

Could be. I am looking forward to hearing the CWIV.  I would really like to hear an A/B with the CWI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Officially 700 but acoustically it’s around 660hz. 

Excellent!  I have long felt that the CW III erred greatly in using the Heresy upper driver config, 800 cross and all, which made it sound more like a heresy.  I thought it badly needed a 600 HZ mid horn to measure up to the original  Corns with its noticeably larger midhorn propagation field.  The III sounded pinched and unimpressive to me.  I wish it hadn't taken so long to rectify!

 

I certainly hope to hear it someday!  Not for me so much, since I'm pretty well set with my K-horns.

 

Larry

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LarryC said:

Excellent!  I have long felt that the CW III erred greatly in using the Heresy upper driver config, 800 cross and all, which made it sound more like a heresy.  I thought it badly needed a 600 HZ mid horn to measure up to the original  Corns with its noticeably larger midhorn propagation field.  The III sounded pinched and unimpressive to me.  I wish it hadn't taken so long to rectify!

 

I certainly hope to hear it someday!  Not for me so much, since I'm pretty well set with my K-horn.

 

Larry

Actually the tweeter has not changed from the CW3 to the CW4 , but the mid horn was changed to a 600 Hz horn--------

 

-as for the XO , who knows what modifications were made-

 

-as to the woofer , it is  placed much lower than the CW3   which brings it back to CW1-CW2 placement -

 

-they added 3 ports at the bottom and some sort of metal or plastic  plate right under the ports - I sure would like to understand why that plate was added or what is its function -as you can see the screws -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 6:16 PM, Deang said:

Roy not messing around. That looks bad ***.

yeah , a Cornscala killer  ----now you can buy the funky  factory version -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, Coriolis said:

 

Got my CW III 2 months ago... basically on the same boat as you.. 

Don't fret it too much... CW III is a great speakers...

 

ask for a refund or an exchange for a CW 4

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...