Full bass horn at disco Bell Ringer from the 70's

DonJuane

In the 1970's there was a disco on Loop 12 near Bachman Lake in northern Dallas, Texas which had a very tall dome that was a bell tower.   The name of the club was "Bell Ringer".  I used to dance under this tower and suspended from the ceiling of this very tall bell tower, which was right above the dance floor was a full length bass horn.   This speaker was I am guessing a full length bass horn and in the corner of the lip (I think the horn was black) was in white lettering "KLIPSCH".      Do you know anything about this horn, how it came to be or where it came from?

Such a thrill I remember after meeting Paul Klipsch at a presentation at SMU (Dallas) and being convinced to obtain some Corner Horns to be able to dance below that speaker.   It was one of the thrills of that era for me.

During the latter 70's Klipsch speakers were used in many discos.  For the most part they utilized MCM systems in various configurations, along with LaScala's.  In one disco, the dance floor was actually built on top of at least 8 MWM's.  The MWM would be the only contender for your situation that I can think of.  I am not aware of Klipsch doing any custom work in this area, but I have seen the Klipsch logo attached to homebrew speakers.

• Like 1