Georgian & Patrician 1940's

DonJuane

I was worried about my memory but I was able to find that I wasn't imagining things.   Back in the 70's a very good friend of mine working at IBM showed me plans for a Georgian speaker.   He had considered building one at first but later purchased the Corner Horns after finding out how much work and precision it would require.   At first I was wondering if anyone was interested in those plans but low and behold I found them on eBay along with another speaker, he told me about but didn't have the plans for and that is the Patrician with a 30" driver where the Georgian had an 18" and the Corner Horn has 15" if I recall.

I wonder what role that Paul Klipsch had with Electro Voice when he built this speaker and was he just coming of age to put together his company at that stage.   I don't have the material in front of me but I believe it was dated 1942 or 43.    Would also be interested in that.  Is there a link to any kind of history of PWK that you know of?

On 8/29/2019 at 11:15 PM, DonJuane said:

I was worried about my memory but I was able to find that I wasn't imagining things.   Back in the 70's a very good friend of mine working at IBM showed me plans for a Georgian speaker.   He had considered building one at first but later purchased the Corner Horns after finding out how much work and precision it would require.   At first I was wondering if anyone was interested in those plans but low and behold I found them on eBay along with another speaker, he told me about but didn't have the plans for and that is the Patrician with a 30" driver where the Georgian had an 18" and the Corner Horn has 15" if I recall.

I wonder what role that Paul Klipsch had with Electro Voice when he built this speaker and was he just coming of age to put together his company at that stage.   I don't have the material in front of me but I believe it was dated 1942 or 43.    Would also be interested in that.  Is there a link to any kind of history of PWK that you know of?

Maybe JimHUnter will chime in but I think EV licensed designs from PWK.

Paul licensed EV to make designs based on the K-horn and some Rebels.  Two of them would be the Georgian and Aristocrat respectively.  Without a deep dive in Archives, I believe this relationship started in the early 50's.  Howard Souther of EV was a good friend of Paul's.  EV actually PAID royalties, as opposed to other less respectable manufacturers. We have many of the those royalty payment records. 

Paul first licensed the K-horn design to Vitavox in England in the late 40's.  Even old Radio Shack catalogs feature licensed K-horn copies.  

• Like 1