Klipsch RF 7 III vs Forte III

Vivek Batra

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

That's right in Pure direct/ direct mode, no signal is sent to sub woofer. I guess that mode is meant for 2 channel only

True but even besides that the sound was NOT better, flatter and kind of lifeless. I tried it without the sub on also.Used direct instead of pure direct.

To me there is nothing wrong with a sub in straight 2 ch, my speakers are then 3 way instead of 2 way. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

For 2 ch, MWM/402horn, the Pioneer as a preamp, EV dx38 as a active crossover and 2 50wpc Emotiva A100 amps, and a Klipsch 1502 which is similar to an 1802 sub with a Crown 1002 amp bridged for a sub.

Sony 4k BD player that streams also.

For the most part you will not find the 2 ch speakers or sub on Klipsch's website, if so it will be under the pro stuff. Also some Cornwall lll's, Forte 2 and 3 and some Heresy 1 and 2.

The Forte's are for HT, the Cornwalls are in a bedroom, one set of Heresies in the bar and one in another bedroom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

Dear @robert_kc

Many thanks that you are trying your best to help me out.

Some good news, last night a very nice gentleman bought my Denon x4500H. I was not using this to its full potential at least my new friend would be using it for the purpose its made for. So at the moment no more experiments until I buy something 🙂

Now coming to what you have suggested.

I use Spotify Premium account and I never use Bluetooth. I believe you must be aware of Spotify Connect? With Spotify connect you can directly stream the music on TV/Soundbar/AVR/Network stream etc. That works through LAN/Wifi. You need phone/ Laptop/Tablet just to kick start the streaming and your phone becomes a remote after that.

So no bluetooth  in picture but the underlying device directly connects to internet and streams from Spotify using your premium account.

I tried to play the FLAC files via connecting my external hard drive to my laptop and then connected my laptop to AVR via HDMI. Its for sure better than streaming. But till date the best track I have played and enjoyed is from YouTube that sounded the best or Hotel California MTV unplugged version. But still hungry 🙂

Or some tracks from Spotify. I even tried to compare Spotify with CDs. As I do not have a dedicated CD player so used my laptop to play the CD and played the same track on Spotify. I feel that this comparison was not fair. I could not feel any difference may be the CD was crap.

My plan now is go for all separates starting from bare minimum equipment that I need to get going, but I plan to add a CD transport most likely over  a CD player in near future. I am planning the following

1. Network Streamer

2. External DAC

3. Pre Amp

4. Power Amp

5. CD Player at some point of time

I'll be starting now to search about all the stuff. I know its difficult to  decide on so many things in a one go and moreover I do not have the luxury to pair the new equipment with my speakers.

Now on Speakers, why I am swapping. Actually I found a quality issue with the cabinet of RP-8000F. The veneer is chipping off at some places and have asked my dealer to take it back in warranty and give me either the same pair or something else. The options are Polk/Dali/Klipsch only and I know I would pick Klipsch again. I tried to sell the RP-8000F but found no buyers. So taking this as an opportunity to upgrade the speakers as well.

I guess my immediate To Do item is to decide upon speakers and then finding the right amp for those.

Will keep you posted what I decided on speakers and then some more advice from you on electronics.

Thanks  a lot.

Regards

Vivek

Hello Vivek,

FWIW, I think that you're taking a very sensible approach.    Following are a few of my quick thoughts.

I have no experience with “network streamers”.   I have Chromecast Audio ($35US) gizmos installed in several of my hi-fi systems, and I use them for the rare occasions when I want to listen to internet radio (e.g., kusc.org, which is an excellent commercial-free classical radio station).  I tried Spotify Premium and Tidal for a while, and found that I rarely used them, so I cancelled.  I can control Chromecast Audio via an Android tablet (e.g., Tunein radio app, apps for Spotify and Tidal, Hi-Fi Cast, etc.).  I can also cast from a Chrome browser on my Windows 10 PC.   As you described, the apps function as a remote control only – the audio stream does not “hairpin” through the tablet or PC. 

I wouldn’t assume that an external DAC is necessarily better - unless you want to have “DAC rolling” as a hobby (i.e., experimenting with different DACs).    (My Oppo UDP-205 universal player has two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs built in.   These are state-of-the-art DACs.  No one has been able to explain why using an external DAC would be better.   In fact, there are limitations to TOSLINK and coax interfaces (e.g., playing the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD, and playing uncompromised (i.e., not downgraded) DTS HD MA audio).   The Oppo’s internal DACs can handle more “hi-res” formats than most external DACs – and these hi-res formats are important to me based on the music I enjoy.)   My limited understanding is that most network streamers have a DAC built in, and often these appliances allow their DAC to be used by other sources.   Based on your needs, is an external DAC beneficial – or not?

And I wouldn’t assume that having a separate preamp and power amp is necessarily better.  Because Klipsch speakers don’t need a lot of power, a separate power amp isn’t necessarily beneficial, vs. an integrated amp.  (OTOH, separates give you more flexibility for future upgrades.)  As I said before, I suggest that you get an amplifier with tone controls.   

Moreover, you may not need a pre-amp at all, if you acquire a network streamer with remote volume control -  and if you don’t want tone controls.  (I can connect 1950s era McIntosh MC30 tube power amps directly to an Oppo UDP-205, and as long as I don’t need to adjust the tonal balance via tone controls, it works great.   I use the UDP-205’s remote volume control. OTOH, I find KT88s to be too bright sounding with Klipsch speakers, so I’ll always use a pre-amp with tone controls when I use a KT88 amp such as my McIntosh MC275 or Scott LK150.)

If you buy a disc player that only plays CDs, you will limit your options for the types of discs you can play to one choice:  the 30+ year-old CD.   OTOH, if you buy a “universal player” (e.g., Sony UBP-X1100ES), then you will have the flexibility to play all types of discs (i.e., CD, SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, DVD, DVD-Audio, etc.).   

Are there any Blu-ray or DVD concert videos you’re interested in?   https://concertsondvd.com/collections/blueray-concerts   Any SACDs?   Are there any DVD-Audio discs you’re interested in?   (Even though DVD and DVD-Audio are older formats, some recordings are only available in these formats.)  For the classical music I like, Blu-ray audio/video is by far my favorite way to enjoy music.  (For example, there are 4 different modern Blu-ray box sets of all Beethoven symphonies, featuring excellent video and DTS HD MA audio.  And many other classical concerts are available on Blu-ray, plus many opera and ballet Blu-ray recordings.)   What about Hollywood and Bollywood movies?  To me, there is no difference between a “hi-fi” system and a “home theater” system.

For streaming, some people think MQA is the “cat’s pajamas” – whereas others think it’s “snake oil”.  My dog’s not in that fight.  

I believe that the $64k question is this:  For the music (and movies) that you like, which formats are relevant?   I suggest that you investigate for the music genres you like what recordings are available on Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, SACD, DVD, DVD-Audio, hi-res downloads (e.g., HD Tracks) – in addition to CDs and streaming.  I suggest that you buy appliance(s) that play the music (and movies) that you like, and I suggest that try to keep your options open for the future.

There is a bewildering array of options for bundling vs. unbundling hi-fi components.  For example, Marantz claims that their “Marantz ND8006 is the complete digital music source player that delivers world-class sound from unlimited music sources, including online streaming services, HEOS multi-room technology, locally stored high-resolution audio files, CD audio playback, Apple AirPlay, Bluetooth and more.”   Does it play SACDs (i.e., the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD, not the CD layer)?   Does it play Pure Audio Blu-ray discs?   Blu-ray audio/video discs?  Ultra HD Blu-ray?   For the music I like, this unit is most definitely NOT capable of playing all relevant formats.  Same question for Bluesound products.  OTOH, for the music you like, perhaps the capabilities provided by one of these products might be adequate.   

I’ll be interested in reading about what you learn, and what you decide.

Please keep us posted.    And post some pics of the Forte III once installed.   😊

Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Hello Vivek,

FWIW, I think that you're taking a very sensible approach.    Following are a few of my quick thoughts.

I have no experience with “network streamers”.   I have Chromecast Audio ($35US) gizmos installed in several of my hi-fi systems, and I use them for the rare occasions when I want to listen to internet radio (e.g., kusc.org, which is an excellent commercial-free classical radio station).  I tried Spotify Premium and Tidal for a while, and found that I rarely used them, so I cancelled.  I can control Chromecast Audio via an Android tablet (e.g., Tunein radio app, apps for Spotify and Tidal, Hi-Fi Cast, etc.).  I can also cast from a Chrome browser on my Windows 10 PC.   As you described, the apps function as a remote control only – the audio stream does not “hairpin” through the tablet or PC. 

I wouldn’t assume that an external DAC is necessarily better - unless you want to have “DAC rolling” as a hobby (i.e., experimenting with different DACs).    (My Oppo UDP-205 universal player has two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs built in.   These are state-of-the-art DACs.  No one has been able to explain why using an external DAC would be better.   In fact, there are limitations to TOSLINK and coax interfaces (e.g., playing the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD, and playing uncompromised (i.e., not downgraded) DTS HD MA audio).   The Oppo’s internal DACs can handle more “hi-res” formats than most external DACs – and these hi-res formats are important to me based on the music I enjoy.)   My limited understanding is that most network streamers have a DAC built in, and often these appliances allow their DAC to be used by other sources.   Based on your needs, is an external DAC beneficial – or not?

And I wouldn’t assume that having a separate preamp and power amp is necessarily better.  Because Klipsch speakers don’t need a lot of power, a separate power amp isn’t necessarily beneficial, vs. an integrated amp.  (OTOH, separates give you more flexibility for future upgrades.)  As I said before, I suggest that you get an amplifier with tone controls.   

Moreover, you may not need a pre-amp at all, if you acquire a network streamer with remote volume control -  and if you don’t want tone controls.  (I can connect 1950s era McIntosh MC30 tube power amps directly to an Oppo UDP-205, and as long as I don’t need to adjust the tonal balance via tone controls, it works great.   I use the UDP-205’s remote volume control. OTOH, I find KT88s to be too bright sounding with Klipsch speakers, so I’ll always use a pre-amp with tone controls when I use a KT88 amp such as my McIntosh MC275 or Scott LK150.)

If you buy a disc player that only plays CDs, you will limit your options for the types of discs you can play to one choice:  the 30+ year-old CD.   OTOH, if you buy a “universal player” (e.g., Sony UBP-X1100ES), then you will have the flexibility to play all types of discs (i.e., CD, SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, DVD, DVD-Audio, etc.).   

Are there any Blu-ray or DVD concert videos you’re interested in?   https://concertsondvd.com/collections/blueray-concerts   Any SACDs?   Are there any DVD-Audio discs you’re interested in?   (Even though DVD and DVD-Audio are older formats, some recordings are only available in these formats.)  For the classical music I like, Blu-ray audio/video is by far my favorite way to enjoy music.  (For example, there are 4 different modern Blu-ray box sets of all Beethoven symphonies, featuring excellent video and DTS HD MA audio.  And many other classical concerts are available on Blu-ray, plus many opera and ballet Blu-ray recordings.)   What about Hollywood and Bollywood movies?  To me, there is no difference between a “hi-fi” system and a “home theater” system.

For streaming, some people think MQA is the “cat’s pajamas” – whereas others think it’s “snake oil”.  My dog’s not in that fight.  

I believe that the $64k question is this:  For the music (and movies) that you like, which formats are relevant?   I suggest that you investigate for the music genres you like what recordings are available on Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, SACD, DVD, DVD-Audio, hi-res downloads (e.g., HD Tracks) – in addition to CDs and streaming.  I suggest that you buy appliance(s) that play the music (and movies) that you like, and I suggest that try to keep your options open for the future.

There is a bewildering array of options for bundling vs. unbundling hi-fi components.  For example, Marantz claims that their “Marantz ND8006 is the complete digital music source player that delivers world-class sound from unlimited music sources, including online streaming services, HEOS multi-room technology, locally stored high-resolution audio files, CD audio playback, Apple AirPlay, Bluetooth and more.”   Does it play SACDs (i.e., the SACD layer of a hybrid SACD, not the CD layer)?   Does it play Pure Audio Blu-ray discs?   Blu-ray audio/video discs?  Ultra HD Blu-ray?   For the music I like, this unit is most definitely NOT capable of playing all relevant formats.  Same question for Bluesound products.  OTOH, for the music you like, perhaps the capabilities provided by one of these products might be adequate.   

Please keep us posted.    And post some pics of the Forte III once installed.   😊

Good luck.

Hi @robert_kc

I am getting a lot of information from you thanks for sharing your views. Well I would agree that a universal player makes more sense than just a CD/SACD player. I would search for a universal player but I would prefer a universal player without a internal dac. Reason being If I find a network player and that too without internal dac, I would be having a common sound signature from Universal player/ Network Streamer/ Laptop or whatever other digital source. Another point is digital formats may change in future and it would be easy to replace the dac as well. These are my thoughts for external dac and why would I favor an external dac over an internal one.

No doubt, FLACs/CD/LP are hands down better than streaming, but I am bit lazy to and also at times I feel like playing a track that I have not heard in few years then the streaming is quick option. Also I am a fan of FM tuner. Would be great if a network stream I could find has  a FM tuner as well (may be not).

About separates, I do not have any experience my self. I can not defend why separate pre and power are better than integrated ones. The only reason known to me is the separation of circuits and separate power supplies should be better than the shared ones and of course flexibility to change components in future is easy.

The base of all this is my initial mistake of having everything in one box (AVR) but I realized seeking convenience of having just one component is  a quality compromise.  I know its hell lot of money for me to afford separates but I would start slowly now and as wisely as possible.

Definitely I would be getting the speakers first without amps so will post those pictures :-). Fortes sitting alone 😞 

11 hours ago, dtel said:

For 2 ch, MWM/402horn, the Pioneer as a preamp, EV dx38 as a active crossover and 2 50wpc Emotiva A100 amps, and a Klipsch 1502 which is similar to an 1802 sub with a Crown 1002 amp bridged for a sub.

Sony 4k BD player that streams also.

For the most part you will not find the 2 ch speakers or sub on Klipsch's website, if so it will be under the pro stuff. Also some Cornwall lll's, Forte 2 and 3 and some Heresy 1 and 2.

The Forte's are for HT, the Cornwalls are in a bedroom, one set of Heresies in the bar and one in another bedroom.

Hi @dtel

Thanks for sharing this. 

10 hours ago, robert_kc said:

Hello Vivek,

Good luck.

For your interest these are my playlists on Spotify to give you an idea of kinda music I like

Give it a try sometime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vivek Batra said:

Definitely I would be getting the speakers first without amps so will post those pictures :-). Fortes sitting alone 😞 

I've heard most all that stuff on your playlists on the Forte IIIs and say that if you choose them you'll have a solid foundation upon which to build.

I agree with Robert re: tone controls.  Don't really need them as a matter of course but sometimes the mastering requires it.  I have none at the moment and they're very mostly not missed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, glens said:

I've heard most all that stuff on your playlists on the Forte IIIs and say that if you choose them you'll have a solid foundation upon which to build.

I agree with Robert re: tone controls.  Don't really need them as a matter of course but sometimes the mastering requires it.  I have none at the moment and they're very mostly not missed.

Hi @glens

Thanks for chiming in. If I have got you right you are proposing me to go for Forte for the kinda music I listen to? What kinds amps you paired with Forte?

Well, I'm of the opinion that they're well-suited to everything.  Though I've not subjected them to hip-hop, rap, stuff like that.

First I replaced a ~40 years old amp with a NAD C338, then a few months later got the Fortes.  I had been using some old JBL bookshelf speakers, equipment resurrected from little to no use for ~10 years.

I picked the amp up as factory refurbished with full warranty for ~$500.  I'm not going to tell you how much I gave for the new speakers other than to say I did really well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glens said:

Well, I'm of the opinion that they're well-suited to everything.  Though I've not subjected them to hip-hop, rap, stuff like that.

First I replaced a ~40 years old amp with a NAD C338, then a few months later got the Fortes.  I had been using some old JBL bookshelf speakers, equipment resurrected from little to no use for ~10 years.

I picked the amp up as factory refurbished with full warranty for ~$500.  I'm not going to tell you how much I gave for the new speakers other than to say I did really well.

Thats great. I have tough time ahead to match the right set of equipment with Forte then.

I had rather thought you were leaning that way at any rate.  I don't want to be the one who talked you into something you end up not liking.  They are a lot of money (though not very different in price than the RFs?).  But I'll happily take credit if you get the Fortes and love them!

The little NAD unit I have works very well.  I could wish it had tone controls and pre-amp out, maybe also power amp in and/or a processor loop.  For how I use it, it's really everything I need though.  I can crank it up louder than is prudent with no obvious signs of strain and after an entire double album it's not hardly warm to the touch.  And there are no vents or external heat-sinks.

I've been looking at the Cocktail Audio X35 with some interest but am wary of the amplifier.  There really aren't any reviews I can judge based on past reviews of equipment I'm familiar with.  I believe NAD's class D implementations are solid, and some others are as well.  But I've been around long enough to encounter worse and better implementations of the same thing otherwise.

NAD's M10 would be nice to have but it represents a fair bit more luxury than I could justify.

Good luck.  Keep the thread updated as you progress.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, glens said:

I had rather thought you were leaning that way at any rate.  I don't want to be the one who talked you into something you end up not liking.  They are a lot of money (though not very different in price than the RFs?).  But I'll happily take credit if you get the Fortes and love them!

The little NAD unit I have works very well.  I could wish it had tone controls and pre-amp out, maybe also power amp in and/or a processor loop.  For how I use it, it's really everything I need though.  I can crank it up louder than is prudent with no obvious signs of strain and after an entire double album it's not hardly warm to the touch.  And there are no vents or external heat-sinks.

I've been looking at the Cocktail Audio X35 with some interest but am wary of the amplifier.  There really aren't any reviews I can judge based on past reviews of equipment I'm familiar with.  I believe NAD's class D implementations are solid, and some others are as well.  But I've been around long enough to encounter worse and better implementations of the same thing otherwise.

NAD's M10 would be nice to have but it represents a fair bit more luxury than I could justify.

Good luck.  Keep the thread updated as you progress.

Hi @glens

You are right Fortes are my hidden love and if  I am going to buy Klipsch again it will be Forte 😀.

I checked the specs of Nad C 388 it's all in one kinda amp. I think not bad. But my wish is to go separates as much as my budget allows be it incremental addition.

Btw I want to pick Oak finish of Forte with Lambs wool grill bit different from traditional black grill. Any thoughts on the finishes available?

Edited by Vivek Batra

I wanted the oak set as well.  Alas, the missus preferred the walnut and since she was accommodating me I thought I'd return the favor.  I've just seen and smelled the insides of black walnut trees a bit too much...  Mostly, though, it was those light grilles I was wanting - not bad enough.

I think the cherry's too light.  The black is too dark, unless it's the "special" ebony version with that killer wired grille cloth.

I guess the order of choice for me would be:

- a tie between the oak and ebony.  At least close to 50-50.

- walnut

- anything else: it doesn't matter - they still sound the same.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, glens said:

I wanted the oak set as well.  Alas, the missus preferred the walnut and since she was accommodating me I thought I'd return the favor.  I've just seen and smelled the insides of black walnut trees a bit too much...  Mostly, though, it was those light grilles I was wanting - not bad enough.

I think the cherry's too light.  The black is too dark, unless it's the "special" ebony version with that killer wired grille cloth.

- walnut

True the special edition grill looks metallic in pics 😀 same here the reason for Oak finish is grill color. That matches with my couches too 😀

33 minutes ago, glens said:

- walnut

Loving and accommodating husband you are so is your wife who loves Klipsch too. It's not the case with me. Me and my son are the ones in love with this sort of hobbies.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:22 AM, Vivek Batra said:

Hi @robert_kc

I will try to reply to all the points you have mentioned. You said about travelling, Since Klipsch is a very expensive brand in India as compared to other similar brands. For example RP - 8000F, I spent $2000 for the pair which is I guess very steep if compared to US prices. Fortes are $6500 a pair which discourages people here to buy such an expensive set of speakers when they can have similar or better speakers with same or less price. This is the reason most of the dealers do not even stock RF 7/Forte but are available on order only.

The nearest place to audition Forte is around 2 hours flight from my place and they have set up a demo of Forte with Roksan integrated amp which I guess is not a tube one?  I know its foolish to buy a speaker without even listening to it and just go by with online reviews and recommendations. This might not work with a particular set of amps but may be heaven on earth with another set of amps.

Even if I travel to other city for the demo, I am restricted to listen to it with what ever equipment they have paired it with. So not much I can do on this.

Regarding appearance, I am a fan of vintage looking stuff. Be it speakers or electronics. I would prefer an amplifier in a wooden body over  a metallic one . No doubt I prefer Forte over RF 7 in terms of looks even I love Cornwalls. RF 7 are just bit bigger in dimensions as compared to RP-8000F. So kinda I have already enjoyed those looks from RP-8000F.

The other speakers that I have auditioned are some Polk, Dali, Mission and Monitor Audio. I didn't get any oomph factor at that time. I guess they were all hooked to entry level equipment only and when played using a decent AVR I didn't feel any difference. So I think I would still prefer the clarity produced by Klipsch, though bit lean sounding HF but I guess as long as mids are there to compensate, I should be happy.

About source, I had a misconception that I can use my phone to play music. Be it Spotify Connect/Bluetooth or MP3 using Laptop via HDMI. This myth got debunked as I started playing. Not every track on Spotify is in hi res. Even YouTube (Free version) at times is much better than Spotify Premium. And the choice of music I have (mostly old recordings of US/Indian) are not very acoustically rich or not very well recorded as compared to today's recordings. It would be unfair to expect every song to play like "Hotel California/Keith Don't Go". I was getting frustrated with this kind of comparisons. Its very true the more revealing speakers are electronics would out rightly expose the flaws in the source.

So this is the whole story. My chances are still to go with Forte (most likely a blind buy) in a hope of better quality over RP - 8000F and horn loaded mid range should be more bloomy/prominent than the RP -8000F. I am already in the process of finding a suitable Amp for Forte (again I won't be able to pair with Forte before buying)

This time I'll try my best not to be impulsive but rationale.

Thanks  for your help.

Vivek

Check out Line Magnetic gear. Made in China but reviews are very positive. Very vintage looking!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

Loving and accommodating husband you are so is your wife who loves Klipsch too.

The first part's true enough (11 years together and not the first argument about anything yet, but it takes two of the same mindset!).  Sorry to say I doubt she could tell you who made the speakers.  I'm sure she'd recognize the name "Klipsch" even if only because we went to some concerts at Deer Creek while it was wearing the name "Klipsch whatever" (music center, amphitheater, I forget).  I forget if maybe they had a stage at Summerfest up in Milwaukee the year I took to experience that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vivek Batra said:

For your interest these are my playlists on Spotify to give you an idea of kinda music I like

Give it a try sometime

Hello Vivek,

I suggest that you shop for recordings before you shop for equipment.  That way you will know which recording formats your equipment must support.  (Sorry if I’m beating this issue to death.  It’s not my intent to sound preachy.  This might sound like a simple concept, however I think some people skip the important first step:  the music.  I’m mystified when some hi-fi hobbyists spend a lot of time and money on equipment, and don’t consider modern recording formats.)

This afternoon I watched/listened to Sibelius Symphony 4 via this Blu-ray audio/video disc, and the experience was fabulous via my state-of-the-art Oppo UDP-205 universal player, vintage tube amps, Klipsch RF-7II for left, center, and right, a single RF-7 rear speaker, and two powered subwoofers.  (This afternoon I listened via two stereo amps equipped with 6L6GC:  a Scott 296 driving the main left & right speakers, and an Inspire Fire Bottle single-ended amp driving the center and single rear speaker.)   Plasma HDTV.

71Xp1l2S4oL._SX522_.jpg

Yesterday I ordered the following Blu-ray audio/video discs from Amazon.com:

71peiVrW4OL._SX522_.jpg

81H3aldwvHL._SX385_.jpg

For classical music, Blu-ray is my favorite format, and I own a number of wonderful Blu-ray recordings.  Blu-ray box sets (e.g., all symphonies by a composer) are a good value. 

Here’s a relevant post regarding classical Blu-ray recordings: 

SACD is my second choice.    I own many classical SACDs.

Based on the playlist you posted, I understand that these recordings may not be of interest to you.    I just want to make the point that recording technology has come a long way since the CD was introduced to the marketplace more than 30 years ago – i.e., high-definition video, surround-sound, and hi-res audio.

I have no experience with the music you like.   Looking at your play list, I did a few quick searches and found the following Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, and hi-res downloads (24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz).  These are just a few examples that I found in a few minutes by searching amazon.com and hdtracks.com.  I know nothing about the following recordings.  I’m not recommending these recordings – this music is not my cup of tea.  Moreover, I know nothing about the audio quality of these recordings – garbage-in/garbage-out – these recordings may or may not have high quality audio based on how the recording was originally captured, and how it was mastered.    Rather, my point is that the relevance of various recording formats other than CD depends on music genre – and when the recording was made.   (Candidly, for some genres, CD is the best audio quality that’s available.)

Billy Joel: Live at Shea Stadium

Blu-ray

51OCfBphSGL._SX385_.jpg

Billy Joel - Live From the River of Dreams

DVD

51hDfeRjD4L._SY445_.jpg

Billy Joel | The Stranger

SACD

51Zx0jZy52L._SX425_.jpg

Billy Joel | Glass Houses

SACD

61sPyD8TpZL._SY450_.jpg

Billy Joel: 52nd Street 40th Anniversary (Hybrid-SACD) Import HIRES 96kHz/24bit Deluxe Edition Remastered Special Packaging 2018 Release Date 11/2/18

Billy_Joel_52_nd_Street_40th_Anniversary

The Essential Billy Joel

24bit/96kHz FLAC download (HDTracks.com)

71YP2Ch55yL._SS500_.jpg

Lionel Ritchie | Just for You

SACD

81qqnzWlpVL._SY450_.jpg

Lionel Ritchie

(There are at least 6 albums on HDTracks in 24bit/96kHz or 24bit/192kHz)

Legend: The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers

Pure Audio Blu-ray

414qeWN5QYL._SY450_.jpg

Bob Marley & The Wailers: Exodus - Live at the Rainbow

DVD

41RgszOanwL._SY445_.jpg

Bob Marley & the Wailers

(There are several hi-res downloads available from HDTracks.)

Weekend On The Rocks [live CD & DVD] by Dave Matthews (2005-11-29)

DVD

51n7Iw0RkWL._SX450_.jpg

Michael Bolton: Live at the Royal Albert Hall

Blu-ray

515-BSYs4iL._SX342_.jpg

Michael Bolton - My Secret Passion / Donizetti, Puccini, Massenet, Verdi

DVD

51BLyZpHitL._SY445_.jpg

Again, these are just a few examples that I found in a few minutes by searching amazon.com and hdtracks.com. 

The issue is whether you want to invest in equipment that will play recordings such as these.   How important is audio quality vs. convenience?   What sources for recordings are available to you in India?   Amazon.com?    HDTracks.com?

$64k question:  For the music that you like, are there enough recordings in hi-res audio formats, and audio/video formats to justify investing in a compatible player?  Perhaps you might start a thread asking for recommendations for Blu-ray, SACD, and hi-res downloads for the music you like.

If you’re interested in audio/video recordings, you’ll need a universal disc player.   (IME, the classical audio/video recordings I like are not available via streaming.)  OTOH, if you’re not interested in video, and the music you like is available as a hi-res (or at least 16bit/44.1kHz) download (vs. SACD or Pure Audio Blu-ray disc), you may not need a disc player – you might be satisfied with a “network player” or “music streamer” that plays hi-res files from local NAS, plus Spotify Premium. 

P.S.  Forte III in Distressed Oak looks great. 

P.P.S.  I have no experience with Line Magnetic tube amps.   They look very interesting.   FWIW, I generally prefer 6L6GC and EL34 – but everyone has different tastes - and the important issue is synergy between amp and speakers.

• Like 1