Whatcha Doing This Holiday?

thebes

How about you? Holiday weekend, time to put work aside for a bit and get outta town.

Tubing.    At least once a year I visit some friends living just south of Charlottsville, VA and hit the James River for a leisurely float.  There's a great section of river, no more than waist high with a really nice current that wafts you on your way.  No more truck tire tubes for us. My friends sprang for fancy inner tubes complete cup holders. 

At some point in the float I always sing the chorus from John Prine's "Paradise":

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

So what are you guys up to this weekend?

I'm watching the hurricane news and radar because, it's Harry... nevertheless, a forecast is interesting.... but somehow, I have a suspicion it's going to roll across  Florida, and into the gulf, aside from all the predications... nevertheless, it's harry, and I'm a thousand miles away... but why do area's of High pressure drive a low pressure monster when a little cold water shut it down... but I'm working this weekend, and in-between, watching topical tidbit's, and wishing good luck to Florida, and the East Coast... and that's what I'm up to... besides good music.... good speakers, and other stuff'

Farm chores. Rented a dumpster last week and massively cleaned out the garage and some other areas of the property which are easy targets for accumulating crap. Then I'm bringing home a dozen or so lateral filing cabinets from work on Monday for garage storage/organization. It won't be anywhere as fancy as Carl's latest garage overhaul, but I'm hoping to have a well organized and useful garage/shop space again.

• Like 1

Since I'm finally able to be somewhat active again (3 shoulder procedures in one operation) I have a whole list of things to do around the house....painting, weed eating, weed killer...etc. But now it's raining, I might go watch the Indiana/Ball State football game downtown. And I was so looking forward to those chores 😛

• Haha 2

Since this is my first year being retired, Holidays are somewhat anti-climatic for me. It's like, wow, a three day weekend from not doing anything. But it is kinda fun listening to the traffic reports. I-75 is always at a standstill on holiday weekends up here.

• Thanks 1

Not a  darn thing...

I dusted and vacuumed and cleaned the most important toilet..

Funny I wasn't sure about the spelling of toiliet

Wikipedia Toilet.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet

and

Merriam Webster....Toilette...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/toilette

How about Crapper? 🍻

Bought a six pack of Wernesgruner from Aldi for 6.71 , music is on and windows are open.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I have been putting them off also, it's like a healthy lifestyle and all, oh nevermind I'm not kidding anyone.

My diet the past two years has been absolutely horrible. I was nervous to take my physical this year; but, i passed with flying colors. My cholesterol did jump significantly from 175 to 207; but, my good cholesterol was in the “optimum” range.

Healthy lifestyle?  All i know is that I’m four beers in and I feel fine!

• Like 2

back when i had an office in the Port of Los Angeles ... my friend outranked me and dibs the desk by the window.  We were less than 100 yards from the channel. Every time an LNG ship would pass, i would joke to him “if that thing blows up, you’re going to be sorry that you took the desk by the window.”  He’d say, “If that ship blows up, half this city is going to be gone."

• Sad 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

My diet the past two years has been absolutely horrible. I was nervous to take my physical this year; but, i passed with flying colors. My cholesterol did jump significantly from 175 to 207; but, my good cholesterol was in the “optimum” range.

Healthy lifestyle?  All i know is that I’m four beers in and I feel fine!

The horrible diet as you say is being somewhat covered by "not city" living. 🍺

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

The horrible diet as you say is being somewhat covered by "not city" living. 🍺

but, I’m sure that i’m missing a lot. Really there are only two cities that i had the heart to tolerate ... Los Angeles and San Francisco -- both of which are cesspools now. Closest major city to me is Portland and that place is just so not me. But I’m not living in the city limits ... at the edge of where it turns “country,” so that is cool.  I’ve learned in my travels that i’m certainly not “mountain” guy; but, i could be “country guy” as long as i’m a half hour drive from a city. Rick Wakeman is coming to Portland this fall ... for a piano concert (he’s not with YES anymore).  Haven’t seen him in years. I did promise him a round of golf last we spoke; but, I gave my golf clubs to a thrift shop when i left Los Angeles. 

• Like 1