SVS SB 16-Ultra Subwoofer- Assistance Needed

RLink

Well I can only wait so long for Klipsch to come out with a reel wood veneer subwoofer that has better specs and build quality then the current line up.  I don't like trying other brands but the SVS 16 Ultra has my attention.  I would purchase two of them in Black Oak Veneer which I hope would match up well with my Cornwall lll's and RC 64 llll's.  I currently have the R-115SW but wanted two of them and now being discontinued, I am looking at other options.  No interest in the SPL 150.

Any assistance with the choice of subwoofer and veneer is much appreciated...............I'm gonna miss the copper speaker showing through the grill.

I am also in need of a second subwoofer. Do you mind if I ask why the SPL 150 is off the table for you? I know it's an under performer compared to the SVS's, and I would love to get a SVS 16-Ultra or even a PB 3000 or 4000, but sadly, I just can't afford them - at least not where I live. So I was planning on settling for adding the SPL 150 to my existing R-12SW. 

9 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

I am also in need of a second subwoofer. Do you mind if I ask why the SPL 150 is off the table for you? I know it's an under performer compared to the SVS's, and I would love to get a SVS 16-Ultra or even a PB 3000 or 4000, but sadly, I just can't afford them - at least not where I live. So I was planning on settling for adding the SPL 150 to my existing R-12SW. 

Originally I was trying to purchase a second R-115SW but gave up on that idea as I only purchase from certain companies who ship on a pallet and they have no inventory.  The SPL 150 is basically the same subwoofer but the scratch resistent finish looks awful to me (almost has a grey tint to it, YUK) and the new grill may be more sturdy but hides the Copper Woofer more which looks very nice through the R-115SW Grill.  Granted, some personal opinion noted here, others may like it.

I will probably end up selling my R-115SW and purchase two SVS Subwoofers but it's not easy for me as I am loyal to Klipsch but just don't like what they currently have.  Watch the 2017 CES video on You Tube when it was stated a new and improved Subwoofer with Reel Wood Veneer was coming out to match up with the RF 7lll and RC64lll.................well, that never happened! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RLink said:

I will probably end up selling my R-115SW and purchase two SVS Subwoofers but it's not easy for me as I am loyal to Klipsch but just don't like what they currently have. 

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm certainly loyal to Klipsch speakers as well but have no issue with purchasing subs elsewhere.   They have an abysmal record with their electronics.

I am with you guys.

Bill

Maybe it is time for you to take a class on how to apply your own wood veneer. For example there are free classes around here at a store called Woodcraft. Then purchase the sub you want with the specs that suit your needs that is within your budget. Then go nuts on the veneer. Finally, sent us the pics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RLink said:

Originally I was trying to purchase a second R-115SW but gave up on that idea as I only purchase from certain companies who ship on a pallet and they have no inventory.  The SPL 150 is basically the same subwoofer but the scratch resistent finish looks awful to me (almost has a grey tint to it, YUK) and the new grill may be more sturdy but hides the Copper Woofer more which looks very nice through the R-115SW Grill.  Granted, some personal opinion noted here, others may like it.

I will probably end up selling my R-115SW and purchase two SVS Subwoofers but it's not easy for me as I am loyal to Klipsch but just don't like what they currently have.  Watch the 2017 CES video on You Tube when it was stated a new and improved Subwoofer with Reel Wood Veneer was coming out to match up with the RF 7lll and RC64lll.................well, that never happened! 

That makes total sense... thanks for clearing that up. It is sad though that they didn't deliver on their promise of a higher end sub. Maybe it will still come one day... 🙂 These current 15 inchers do seem a bit light weight for the RF7 package.

10 hours ago, RLink said:

Agreed with the awful finish the new SPL series subs have. Precisely the reason I picked up another R-112SW. Not to forget the razor sharp edges of the SPLs.

I had my RSW-15 (cherry) repaired a few years ago (bought it new along with RF7s,RC7 and RS7s back in the early 2000's). Last November the RSW-15 stopped working again. I assumed the worst and purchased a SVS PB-16 Ultra in black oak veneer. 

Do I think the SVS is better than the RSW-15 - yes? Night and day better? No. The black oak looks good IMO - then my TV stand that housed the receiver etc is black too. Works great with my speakers - driven by a Yamaha RX-A3060

It also appears that my RSW-15 is not dead, I did open it and saw I had a loose spade connector. Now, I either run the 2 subs...or sell the RSW....

4 minutes ago, Amstaff said:

Do I think the SVS is better than the RSW-15 - yes? Night and day better? No.

Really? SVS PB-16 VS Klipsch RSW-15? 

If you think that they are even close, your room must have major issues. Also sub placement and seating position may also be in serious need of correction.

5 hours ago, Amstaff said:

Do I think the SVS is better than the RSW-15 - yes? Night and day better? No.

This is quite surprising to hear... so that would mean the RSW-15 must be leagues ahead of the R-115SW and the SPL-150's... because these two subs are nowhere near the class of an SVS 16-Ultra. Two R-115SW's weren't even able to significantly outperform a single PB-3000:

SVS PB3000 vs Dual Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer Showdown

And the 3000 is definitely no match for the 16 Ultra, as demonstrated in other videos... 🙂

PS: I do know that dual subs have advantages over a single sub, but that wasn't really the point of the video... an interesting test/comparison by @Youthman non-the-less. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

You should get a matching center to your mains first then worry about subwoofers.  That 64III won't even come close to matching the timbre of the Cornwall III's.

I compensate somewhat by increasing the volume through my receiver on the center channel and it works for me.  I originally purchased the 64lll when I had the RF 7lll's but later sold them.   What do you think would match up well??

34 minutes ago, RLink said:

What do you think would match up well??

Best matching center for CWIII is always going to be a third Cornwall III in matching veneer placed vertically exactly center. For horizontal side placement the old vertical cornwall I. If it those choices do not match your furniture, buy new furniture.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RLink said:

I compensate somewhat by increasing the volume through my receiver on the center channel and it works for me.  I originally purchased the 64lll when I had the RF 7lll's but later sold them.   What do you think would match up well??

Obvious choice is another CW III but a Heresy III will match timbre' wise far better than the 64III will.  No volume or software correction will alter the timbre.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, 314carpenter said:

Really? SVS PB-16 VS Klipsch RSW-15? 

If you think that they are even close, your room must have major issues. Also sub placement and seating position may also be in serious need of correction.

Hey - the RSW-15 is no slouch. I have not heard the current breed of Klipsch 15's but lots of folks say the RSW-15 was amongst the best subs Klipsch has ever put out.

My room is not ideally suited to a sub - lots of open walls, and only one real seating spot. It is not a dedicated HT room. The RSW-15 and now the PB-16 compensate for that somewhat. 

Could it be placed better? Maybe, not sure, not too many feasible locations - and both are big subs.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:34 AM, inMotionGraphics said:

This is quite surprising to hear... so that would mean the RSW-15 must be leagues ahead of the R-115SW and the SPL-150's... because these two subs are nowhere near the class of an SVS 16-Ultra. Two R-115SW's weren't even able to significantly outperform a single PB-3000:

And the 3000 is definitely no match for the 16 Ultra, as demonstrated in other videos... 🙂

PS: I do know that dual subs have advantages over a single sub, but that wasn't really the point of the video... an interesting test/comparison by @Youthman non-the-less. 

I don't follow each subs specs and capability closely - but I would say that the RSW-15 be more sub than a R-115SW  - heck, it cost me ~$1900 15 years ago ... almost 3x a R-115SW (based on today's Amazon price). The RSW-15 is finished in Cherry - matches the RF7s and RC7 - awesome.

@Youthman compared the SB16 to the RSW-15: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/176151-klipsch-rsw-15-vs-svs-sb-16/

2 hours ago, Amstaff said:

I don't follow each subs specs and capability closely - but I would say that the RSW-15 be more sub than a R-115SW  - heck, it cost me ~$1900 15 years ago ... almost 3x a R-115SW (based on today's Amazon price). The RSW-15 is finished in Cherry - matches the RF7s and RC7 - awesome.

Yeah, the RSW-15's look like a whole different beast... unfortunately they pre-date my time as a Klipsch fan and owner, so I wasn't aware of their specs or superiority. If there's one thing I've learned from participating in this thread, it's that Klipsch had killer subs, but now no longer have anything comparable anymore. What's going on Klispch?

I almost missed it, but @Youthman's comparison to the Ultra 16 you shared above is the SB version, which is the sealed version. And while looking back at the original post, the OP does mention the SB version in his title, his post only refers to the Ultra in general, so this whole time I've erroneously thought we're comparing to the PB Ultra's (ported versions), which probably negates anything I've said previously, as I don't know much about the SB versions. Although I think from the various comparison videos available, we can probably safely deduce that any of the subs Klipsch currently have, aren't going to be able to match the SB Ultra's either.