K-33-M Woofer

Deang

Does anyone known anything about this thing.

An ex Klipsch engineer in the owners group on facebook said it had an alnico magnet, and klipsch couldn't get them made anymore because alnico was being sourced through the russians - which stopped sending it to the united states.

I've seen pictures of the thing, and the magnet looks the same as the old K-33-E square magnet version.

Gee, that is a bit strange. 

My recall is probably what everyone knows:  It is that cobalt became unavailable due to civil war in Congo. Of course needed to make Aluminum-Nickel-Cobalt.  Then manufacturers went over to ferrite which is (I think) similar to the coating on magnetic tape.  To make magnets a slurry of the stuff  (or mud) is poured into molds.  Then drivers using this got an -M suffix for mud. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_(magnet)

Therefore, what you're referring to seems backwards.  An -M would not be an alnico, it would be a ferrite mud replacement for an alnico.

WMcD

• Like 1

The K-33-M was a Jensen driver with a 54 ounce ceramic magnet and a paper edge.  It replaced their earlier version that used a ring Alnico magnet.  In 1974 when I started at Rola, a large part of my job was converting Alnico structures to ceramic.  This was due to Cobalt becoming a strategic resource, with Uncle Sam getting first dibbs.  

20190725_105903.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, JRH said:

The K-33-M was a Jensen driver with a 54 ounce ceramic magnet and a paper edge.  It replaced their earlier version that used a ring Alnico magnet.  In 1974 when I started at Rola, a large part of my job was converting Alnico structures to ceramic.  This was due to Cobalt becoming a strategic resource, with Uncle Sam getting first dibbs.  

20190725_105903.jpg

I have a K33E woofer like the one in the pic in good working order.  What is the resale valve on these?