Sold! Empire 598 Turntable

luddite

Just starting to list some equipment for sale as I am downsizing.  

First up is an Empire Troubadour 598 turntable.  

Belt drive, all original, and in great shape.  

I have owned it for about 20 years, and purchased it from the original  owner, who got it in Germany in 1975 when he was in the service.  

It gets little play now.  More just eye candy.  It is one of the most striking TT's you will see.  

Belt needs to be replaced.  I have a replacement, but haven't gotten around to putting it on yet.  

Everything works, including the lamp, and the funky magnetic arm lifter.  

Wood is in great shape, plexiglass shown no scratching nor fogging.  the beefy tonearm and cartridge are good.  I even have an Empire cartridge.  

I will ship, but am hesitant to do so until I can figure out how to protect the unit.  Buyer will have to pay for shipping.  

Will make it an easy $598 for the turntable for forum members.  Prices online are crazy.  I'd rather see someone who appreciates it buy the turntable.  

I'm in the Memphis, TN area.  Will send more detailed pictures to interested parties.  

IMG_1043.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

• Like 2

I have shipped several TT without damage. It takes patience and some thought but its not hard to do. Remember the manufacturer shipped it obviously without damage.

Briefly:  Tie the tonearm in place, Lift the platter and place foam under it between the plinth and platter enough to get its weight off the bearing, place more foam on top of the platter enough to fill the void between the platter and the cover, close cover and shrink wrap it closed tight,  now nothing should move.  Now you need 2" of foam on all 6 sides of the table and a heavy duty box.

GLWTS  

• Like 1

Just a little historical note on the Empire Troubadour 598 turntable:  When I first started working at Klipsch in 1976, the turntable used in the listening/demo room over in the office building was the 598, even though, the 698 had already started being marketed where I had been overseas a month or so earlier.  I'll never forget PWK walking into that room with a number of us "new employees" there to listen, as he turned on the system, letting everything "warm-up" for the demo...and jokester guy that he was, rolled the volume control up with nobody noticing.  He leaned over, lifted the Empire 598 dust cover and swiped his finger across the stylus to remove the "dust bunny" from it, as the EXTREMELY LOUD sound of that coming outta the K-horns shocked everyone in the room!  Then, PWK slyly said with a large grin "The first thing to do is clean your needle and get any dust knocked off of the woofer cones!"😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...