Cornwall Mid problem

Mudmikgree

Hello All,

New to the forum. I recently bought a pair of Vintage Klipsch Cornwalls and when i got them home i realized that the right speaker had some tones in the mids that were different volume than the left speaker. What is the best approach to fixing this? Should i order a new mid from Bob Crites or is there something i can check before that? The speakers are from 1981 so I'm thinking the mid is a k55. 

• Moderators

Welcome

Something you can do that's easy and free is to check all connections, just because there tight doesn't not mean it is making a connection. A invisible film can be present on the connections, undo them and lightly sand with sandpaper or an emory board and try again. I had that happen to a driver before when I got a used pair of forte's. The connections were very tight but somehow it was not making a connection, it looked perfectly clean but  no connection, sanded a little and have not had the problem again. 

Never know it might fix your problem, get the easy stuff out of the way first.

I've always used a gummy eraser on accessible surfaces.  I just now had the notion that a dab of metal polish between thumb and finger tips would clean well and non-destructively.  Could even apply a little and insert / remove the connectors a few times to assuredly clean what'll do the most good.  After wiping the excess off with a rag I don't know whether it would be better to spritz it clean or leave the material in the voids as a coating that'll last some time.

I recall seeing discussion of vibrating squawker rear covers.  Might this be that?

Welcome, actually check the connections first. Then if it's not that, you can check your medium compressions and their reference and if physically they are good, you can order a pair of new membranes for your medium compression at Crites or another supplier. The best is to replace both at the same time so that the stereo is homogeneous.

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_midrange.html

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-replacement-diaphragms.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/product-category/diaphragms/klipsch-diaphragms/

2 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Welcome, actually check the connections first. Then if it's not that, you can check your medium compressions and their reference and if physically they are good, you can order a pair of new membranes for your medium compression at Crites or another supplier. The best is to replace both at the same time so that the stereo is homogeneous.

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_midrange.html

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-speaker-replacement-diaphragms.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/product-category/diaphragms/klipsch-diaphragms/

Or Klipsch directly.  

If you have a volt meter with continuity, check the resistance on the mid driver and verify it isn't 0 or very low.  You should disconnect it first.

I think the OP needs to be more specific about the actual problem. If he is saying the output is different between the two speakers ..... is this for the woofers, mid range or tweeter? Are all the drivers working?. Is the difference large or is it slight?

Otherwise, we will only be guessing.

• Like 1

Just loosen and retighten all the connections on the crossover. Check that the mid driver is screwed tight to horn. Might even get some new gaskets for them from Bob or you can use O-rings like did. 

Then if you still have a sound problem switch the right- left cables to make sure its not the source material thats causing it. 

Next would be changing out the caps on the crossover before you do anything to the driver. Those mid drivers are tough I still use the ones from my 1972 K-horns.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, glens said:

I've always used a gummy eraser on accessible surfaces.  I just now had the notion that a dab of metal polish between thumb and finger tips would clean well and non-destructively. 

Good idea.

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Or Klipsch directly.  

If you have a volt meter with continuity, check the resistance on the mid driver and verify it isn't 0 or very low.  You should disconnect it first.

After cleaning if you have a meter this is a sure fire way.

4 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I think the OP needs to be more specific about the actual problem. If he is saying the output is different between the two speakers ..... is this for the woofers, mid range or tweeter? Are all the drivers working?. Is the difference large or is it slight?

Otherwise, we will only be guessing.

True, and yes were only guessing at this point.

4 hours ago, ricktate said:

Just loosen and retighten all the connections on the crossover. Check that the mid driver is screwed tight to horn. Might even get some new gaskets for them from Bob or you can use O-rings like did. 

Good point, it really wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the old gaskets on really older horns, they can get dried up and brittle, plus it's cheap .

I don't remember hearing of one driver going out because of crossover but once everything is working it would be a good idea to change out the caps, this does make a difference in sound.

Depending on how bad they are depends on how much difference it will make, on some OLD AA crossovers it was a big difference for me.

4 hours ago, ricktate said:

Then if you still have a sound problem switch the right- left cables to make sure its not the source material thats causing it. 

Always a good idea, I like to get the free easy things out of the way first.

Good luck finding something, you will if you keep looking.

Maybe try those other things then...I would personally swap the K-55 drivers from left side to right side and see if it follows the driver or stays with the cabinet.  This more determines what the problem is versus using the General Motors Warranty procedure of throwing parts at it till it's fixed. 

But, that depends on if it's a mid problem or not, of course.  Download a  RTA app on your phone or a tablet and run Pink noise on them and set the amp or receiver to mono, if possible, and RTA one side at a time and look for differences in frequency.  

Maybe it's the room and reflection? As mentioned, we're throwing darts at a wall and seen nothing back since original post. 

Guys, In all fairness how can you make these recommendations. So far the only symptom we have heard is:

" right speaker had some tones in the mids that were different volume than the left speaker. "

How can you make a diagnosis based on this? As stated above, we first need to know what the problem actually is. 

It was only a few weeks ago that we were all recommending getting a new tweeter for someone , when we found out later it was the midrange driver that went bad. Let's find out what the symptoms are first. 

-Tom

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Guys, In all fairness how can you make these recommendations. So far the only symptom we have heard is:

" right speaker had some tones in the mids that were different volume than the left speaker. "

How can you make a diagnosis based on this? As stated above, we first need to know what the problem actually is. 

It was only a few weeks ago that we were all recommending getting a new tweeter for someone , when we found out later it was the midrange driver that went bad. Let's find out what the symptoms are first. 

-Tom

Oh, I agree.  It's all speculation based on an "I heard a noise under the hood of my car...what do you think it was" type scenario.  Maybe they will actually come back and post again with more info.  Or maybe he figured it out and won't post again.

Sorry guys, like i said I'm new to this forum and wasn't getting emails that i had responses. All of this information is great and i thank you. I will keep you posted about what i find in terms of dirty connections and by swapping left for right mids. I'm obviously not as in tune with these as all of you may be and that was the only way i knew to explain my issue. when listening to the corns in my triangle formation the one speaker has a noticeably quieter mid range while the other is fantastic. Crisp and loud. for example acoustical songs lack the fullness of the other speaker. 

To the OP, certainly try the suggestions about cleaning the contacts and seeing if the problem changes sides when the source / amp are changed side to side. You may want to hold off on removing drivers until later.  

If you have the ability to put some test tones through the speakers (online stuff is fine and burn to a CD). Check the mid-range and tweeter separately. Is there output? Stand directly between the speakers and listen to a mono signal (identical signal to both speakers) and note whether the image is directly between the speakers (phantom image) or is it to one side (we are not looking for subtle differences here). Do this for midrange tones (eg 1000 Hz) and again for high frequency tones (eg 5000 Hz).

Depending on the outcome, we may need to check with a voltmeter, do you have access to a voltmeter (it can be a basic model)?

good luck,

-Tom