SOLD Placette Passive Pre, Remote Volume Control

rplace

Adds absolutely nothing to the signal path. Remote volume control. Single input/output. I've used it in line with my active preamp to add remote volume control. I've also used it to eliminate my active preamp. 125-step attenuator built entirely with Vishay S-102 foil resistors. If you want to hear exactly what your source sounds like sans preamp give this a go.

Manufacturers site: Placette Audio

Review: stereophile review

$500 PPal FF + Shipping. Please PM me for pictures (looks exactly like Mfg's site), more info or different payment/shipping options.

57 minutes ago, Godataloss said:

Nice deal.  If I may, why are you selling it?  I've been contemplating such a solution.

To pursue something much like it but with balanced connections in/out. I've got an active 2-way set up and trying to get rid of all my RCA connections. There is a custom built Placette on A-gon right now with balanced connections.

The price of a new one has gone up from 1,000 to 1,300 since I got this one. I think my $500 is more than fare, but if it does not sell I won't be heartbroken. The sound stage with a passive is something to at least be experienced for those who have ever wondered. I've personally not experienced any loss in dynamics like many on-line pundits "generalize" about passive preamps....this is the only one I've ever hand any 1st hand experience, so I can't say how others behave. I bought this because of it fantastic reputation, and have loved it since the moment I installed it. From time to time I go back to my tube based preamp, but just as a reality check or when I swap something else in/out.

• Like 1

I get it.  I pulled my tube based pre to upgrade the tubes and made the mistake of using my DAC as a pre temporarily.  I assume you, as I, are running efficient speakers as are most folks on these forums and don't need the gain of an active pre.  The only thing I lost was a considerable amount of noise-  even with my turn table.  To be running 100db+ speakers and hear that needle drop come out of an inky black background is intoxicating.  Needless to say, the pre hasn't made it back into that system.   I'm currently beginning the refurbishment of some vintage amps, otherwise I'd be all over this deal at $500.  The amount of work that must go into 125 step attenuator is mind-boggling.  GLWYS. 

• Thanks 1