MCM1900 vs KP600

I have some MCM1900 4 way and the quality of sound is great and the large sound without them really having to be loud makes them that much better. I want to know how do the MCM1900 and the KP600 do in a sound shootout? I can see that the 600 are easier to move and are a smaller footprint. I want to know which one sounds better and does one do better indoors vs outside.  If there is a thread or three  where this has been tossed around more than Cornwall vs Chorus vs KLF30 vs... please link it / them. I did a search on here and Google but found nothing about a this vs that. 

I've only heard them (the 600's) twice.  Once was indoors at the lab, the second time was outdoors at the Pilgrimage.

I liked them both times...."but".....

When indoors, they only played so loud (duh) and it was vibrating the hairs on my arm....  so I LOVED that.

When OUTDOORS, they were cranked up higher to play to the crowd....  it was there that I felt I could discern the woofers (direct/radiator) verses the rest of the (horn) system.

Was it a junky song?  Was it something to do with outdoors?  Are my ears sensitive to those differences after having horns for 40 years?

I don't know.  I just know that OUTDOORS, I was let down a bit....INDOORS, I was ecstatic about them.....

Now, as headphones?  wowza!!!

• Like 1

I prefer the setup you have although the only KP-600 I have heard was at this years Pilgrimage. I think the MCM is more musical and the KP-600 more rockin smoky club. I would choose the MCM any day for my personal listener.

I may not have heard those KP-600's at their best perhaps due to environment and I don't know how good the music files were. I assume Kevin knows what he is doing so I suspect I just prefer the MCM.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Kevin has both setups and I told him once I had never heard the 1900's, his opinion was they are not as good as the 600's in his opinion. I have still never heard them, or the Grands.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:48 PM, Dave A said:

I may not have heard those KP-600's at their best perhaps due to environment and I don't know how good the music files were. I assume Kevin knows what he is doing so I suspect I just prefer the MCM.

He uses his Ipad and some , I can't remember what service or at what rate they are played from, I do know it is not Pandora or Spotify but another he subscribes to.

At one point in the evening I gave him my Ipad when the wifi was acting up, it had 10 gigs of downloaded music on it, in lossless. I don't remember listening for any difference so I can't say, but it did play until late that night.. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have some MCM1900 4 way and the quality of sound is great and the large sound without them really having to be loud makes them that much better. I want to know how do the MCM1900 and the KP600 do in a sound shootout? I can see that the 600 are easier to move and are a smaller footprint. I want to know which one sounds better and does one do better indoors vs outside.  If there is a thread or three  where this has been tossed around more than Cornwall vs Chorus vs KLF30 vs... please link it / them. I did a search on here and Google but found nothing about a this vs that. 

HEY you did not ask where the S-MWM rates in the shootout heh-heh-heh. I can tell you that too.

• Like 1

I have owned a bunch of MCM-1900 4-way stuff and a bunch of KP-600 stuff. Coytee pointed out something I agree with, the MWM is cleaner sounding than the KP-600 Bass Bin, although the KP-600s seem to have more although not as clean Bass. It is for this reason, the "more" Bass that Kevin and I prefer the 600s over the MCM system. Mate a KP-1802 with either system and it will KILL either system in stock form. In that case, I would stay all horns with an MWM setup, but remember that portability is also at play.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,  it seems pretty obvious that this thread has people who have not used the KP 600 in a pro sound sort of way. I have been using these for the better part of 30 years. I also have a set of MCMs that I purchased in 1979 which are for sale. Nevertheless I have done  side by side shootouts with the MCMs and KP 600s. Both are fantastic. My first observation was the MCMs seemed punchier in the low end,  but I can tell you the KP600 is so, and I do mean SO much smoother in every respect. Don’t forget the KP600shave  over 30 years of horn development compared to the MCMs. Oh yea about the low end the KP 600s low end is actually much better than the MCMs as it is smoother in delivery than the peaky MCMs. Plus when you put side by side you are hearing a lot more of the audio spectrum than in the MCMs. I am by no means knocking the MCMs because they will FLOOR you. Klipsch has the best horn technology by far. Even today the KP 600 is the best sounding arena Sound System ever. To bad they did not develop it any further. To think the KP 600s with 30 years of horn development on Klipsch’s part over the MCMs is not a huge step would be a mistake. I can tell you from experience that my 24 box KP 600 (8 stacks)  can do 15,000 people Rock and Roll outside and the kick drum at 250 feet will still slam you in the chest!!! Another thing the mid and highs horn design can keep the vocals on top of the mix like no other speaker system that I have used. 

If anyone would like to talk my cell number is 978-696-6247. 

I will say that the 680 subs do get lower than the KP600 subs. Has a lot to do with the wood  as compared to the fiberglass and Mylar over the balsa core on the KP 600s. Although  the KP 600 subs were tuned above  and below their resonant points.  But put out 8 duel KP 600 subs in a rock and roll environment and well let’s just say HOLD ON!!!

Anyway hope you all are safe. And have a great Holiday season. Joey 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Joey B KP600 said:

Hi guys,  it seems pretty obvious that this thread has people who have not used the KP 600 in a pro sound sort of way. I have been using these for the better part of 30 years. I also have a set of MCMs that I purchased in 1979 which are for sale. Nevertheless I have done  side by side shootouts with the MCMs and KP 600s. Both are fantastic. My first observation was the MCMs seemed punchier in the low end,  but I can tell you the KP600 is so, and I do mean SO much smoother in every respect. Don’t forget the KP600shave  over 30 years of horn development compared to the MCMs. Oh yea about the low end the KP 600s low end is actually much better than the MCMs as it is smoother in delivery than the peaky MCMs. Plus when you put side by side you are hearing a lot more of the audio spectrum than in the MCMs. I am by no means knocking the MCMs because they will FLOOR you. Klipsch has the best horn technology by far. Even today the KP 600 is the best sounding arena Sound System ever. To bad they did not develop it any further. To think the KP 600s with 30 years of horn development on Klipsch’s part over the MCMs is not a huge step would be a mistake. I can tell you from experience that my 24 box KP 600 (8 stacks)  can do 15,000 people Rock and Roll outside and the kick drum at 250 feet will still slam you in the chest!!! Another thing the mid and highs horn design can keep the vocals on top of the mix like no other speaker system that I have used. 

If anyone would like to talk my cell number is 978-696-6247. 

I will say that the 680 subs do get lower than the KP600 subs. Has a lot to do with the wood  as compared to the fiberglass and Mylar over the balsa core on the KP 600s. Although  the KP 600 subs were tuned above  and below their resonant points.  But put out 8 duel KP 600 subs in a rock and roll environment and well let’s just say HOLD ON!!!

Anyway hope you all are safe. And have a great Holiday season. Joey 

Love you brother !!  :D

Rog

I've heard them both.  I've said more than once.... the 600s are chunky in the middle.  They have excellent bass and mid bass which I love in music.  Im not talking about subs.

Have you ever seen the old video interviewing Jim Hunter back in late 80s?  " 600s best system Klipsch ever made"

Ram Sound was all MCM until 600s came around.  Was an upgrade.

Jc

• Like 3