Going on the Lam

BigStewMan

So, today i’ve gotten three voicemails ... one from Texas, one from the “United States” and one from Sweden.  They all had the same computerized female voice saying that my social security number was involved in illegal activity and there is an arrest warrant issued in my name.  I was too ascared to press one and speak to an officer. Good to see law enforcement taking advantage of technology ... robocall notifications must save them quite a bit of time. 

Guess i need to go into hiding. 

• Haha 5

I'm becoming a bit coin whiz!  I transferred my tax money on the lottery winnings and it's been received he said.  Should be here any day!  It's being delivered to me by Wells Fargo in an armored truck and everything so I have to stick around til they show up.  You get a toaster, everyone gets toasters!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, MyOwn said:

It is amazing...What works for me is if your not in my contacts I will not answer.

More often than not no voice mail, even if there is a voice mail I will and to block list.

same method that i handle phone calls. I’ve blocked more calls than i can count. many times, i haven’t even answered a phone call from someone that i know. i really don’t enjoy talking on the phone. 

On 9/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, BigStewMan said:

So, today i’ve gotten three voicemails ... one from Texas, one from the “United States” and one from Sweden.  They all had the same computerized female voice saying that my social security number was involved in illegal activity and there is an arrest warrant issued in my name.  I was too ascared to press one and speak to an officer. Good to see law enforcement taking advantage of technology ... robocall notifications must save them quite a bit of time. 

Guess i need to go into hiding. 

I got the same or similar on my answering machine about a week back. The social security "police" are after us...OH NOOOoooooooo......🤯

• Haha 2

• Moderators

About 8 years ago my wife got an anonymous text that was really strange and kind of just general. The really odd part was it was dated about 3 years in the future and her phone acted strange from then on. She brought in in and they had no idea how it could have happened, she had insurance on the phone and they ended up replacing it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dtel said:

About 8 years ago my wife got an anonymous text that was really strange and kind of just general. The really odd part was it was dated about 3 years in the future and her phone acted strange from then on. She brought in in and they had no idea how it could have happened, she had insurance on the phone and they ended up replacing it. 

that’s twilight zone stuff

• Like 2

• Moderators

It was 8 maby 10 years ago, it could have been some type of virus or something, I would guess back then they knew a little less about that kind of stuff ?

38 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== this type of high tech crap has me wish for my old land line coupled to Ma Bells rotary dial and handset — 📞

It gets worse.

About 2 months ago I made 2 signs for my son in law for a car lot they were opening, he repairs and flips cars. He and our daughter came by to pick them up one night and we got to talking about paint and I think it was about the top of the bar outside which is marine spar varnish. I was saying a quart of what I use is $40 but a gallon is $100 so I got a gallon. As were talking the whole time his phone was in his pocket, we sat down at the kitchen table and he got his phone out and went to look something up and tells me look at this, it had to be listening to us. He opened his phone and before he could search It was an ad for marine spar varnish which he said he never searched for or has ever used, he was quite shocked. 

I don't know, I don't use one but it was very strange for this to happen ?

35 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't know, I don't use one but it was very strange for this to happen ?

something similar happened to me.  was in my brother’s room talking to him about something, then went back to the living room and opened my laptop and there was an ad for the very thing that we were just discussing.

52 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

something similar happened to me.  was in my brother’s room talking to him about something, then went back to the living room and opened my laptop and there was an ad for the very thing that we were just discussing.

Hey Steve! The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. My work computer was turned on but in sleep mode. I mentioned to my son that we needed eggs. When I woke the computer there were numerous adds for eggs in the right margin in the Yahoo page. After that I got a VPN (https://virtualshield.com/) and haven't been bothered with this sort of nonsense again. But, it makes me wonder what would have happened if I was joking around about something controversial, like wife beating (not that I do that), would I get a visit by the police or a swat team breaking down the door? Unfortunately, this is a sad commentary on these times because it appears that 1984 has indeed become reality.   

• Like 1

It gets weirder.  A couple of years ago, I was in a Sport Check store.  After I'd selected my purchase, I wandered over to the hockey section.  I'd heard about carbon fibre hockey sticks and was a bit curious about them.  I took one or two of them off the rack and found them to be amazingly light.  After that, I paid for my stuff and left.  When I got home, there were ads for carbon fibre hockey sticks on my desktop PC.  I had not spoken to anyone in the store about them, and had not said a word out loud.

Was my phone using its GPS function to know where I paused in the store, or did the store's security cameras use facial recognition to identify me?  Who knows?  

I never bought any sticks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i’m tech stupid; but, i read that our devices talk to each other, so wouldn’t surprise me if your phone somehow collected the GPS data and when you got home it shared the info with your computer.  that explains the store; but, how it knew hockey sticks is a mystery to me. 

2 hours ago, DMH said:

But, it makes me wonder what would have happened if I was joking around about something controversial

that is scary ... all the hypothetical “what if” conversations that we’ve had with people.  Our phones will think they’re true conversations.

this is starting to sound like the plot of a television drama. 

• Sad 1

This is the third story like this I've read in the last few months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk