MiniDSP NIB $50 shipped.

DizRotus

27 minutes ago, babadono said:

I have no personal experience with the miniDSP hardware but I have read it is easy to overdrive the inputs. So no reason it cannot be used but you will have to be mindful of that. miniDSP website says max input for the unit you linked to is 2 Vrms which is only about +8dBu.

I could find the max output of the Pono player balanced outputs, but I doubt it’s very high.

”2 Vrms which is only about +8dBu.”  

Is that Russian?

But note that you'll have to step up to a miniDSP 4x10 HD unit in order to get balanced connections, however.  The "2x4 HD" uses unbalanced RCA connectors and I find that it is a little noisy relative to all my other balanced/XLR-Euro connectors.  It's the only downside that I can see with the 2x4 HD--there aren't balanced connections available.

Chris

1 minute ago, babadono said:

So @Chris A the "HD" has greater resolution (96kHz as opposed to 48kHz) but is single ended only? Do you use at 2 or 4 volt input?

Yes, it has better resolution, but it's the much greater gain range that I was specifically referring to (i.e., the analog side of things).  I'm using my Onkyo PR-SC886 pre/pro to drive it (like everything else in my setup).  So I guess that means 2V...(?)

Chris

This will demonstrate my ignorance.  Might it be possible to use multiple dsp units to maintain balanced, that is, to have a + & - for each channel without a common ground?

It’s starting to sound very complicated, but I do want to preserve balanced.  I do not want to insert something between the preamp (Pono) and the amp that will degrade the midrange and treble.

2 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I could find the max output of the Pono player balanced outputs, but I doubt it’s very high.

I was looking briefly, seems tech info is gone or hard to find. But I did read it has line out as well as the volume controlled headphone out. The line out would definitely not be a problem but you would have to have volume control further downstream using that option. With the volume controlled headphone out you will just need to be mindful that you could overdrive the input.

I am saying this without knowing the specs of the Pono player but assuming the headphone out is capable of more than +8dBu.

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Might it be possible to use multiple dsp units to maintain balanced, that is, to have a + & - for each channel without a common ground?

Easy answer is no. But that said anything is possible, but it would be a marvel of engineering. It certainly could not be done with two separate miniDSP units.

I guess you could use a couple of these to convert unbalanced to balanced: https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/regurgitator-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1

Regurg_female_XLR_built.JPG

I don't know how to buy them in the USA.  It quotes the price on the website in USD (in addition to Australian dollars--where they're apparently made), which is encouraging.

Chris

36 minutes ago, Chris A said:

But note that you'll have to step up to a miniDSP 4x10 HD unit in order to get balanced connections, however.  The "2x4 HD" uses unbalanced RCA connectors and I find that it is a little noisy relative to all my other balanced/XLR-Euro connectors.  It's the only downside that I can see with the 2x4 HD--there aren't balanced connections available.

Chris

I'm confused.  Are you saying that this doesn't give you balanced connections?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-bal

Mike

By the way, the miniDSP 2x4 HD is available in boxless configuration, too, thus saving $10(US):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-hd

...where you could also strap the "Regurgitator" interfaces to a suitably sized box to hold everything.

11 minutes ago, mboxler said:

I'm confused.  Are you saying that this doesn't give you balanced connections?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-bal

Mike

You've made the same mistake that many others have made.  You're looking at a balanced "2x4", not a "balanced 2x4 HD"...

miniDSP should really change the naming of these two units (and their variants) to differentiate them more clearly.  I've seen this issue more than once, so I don't believe it's a "customer issue" so much as a "supplier issue".

Chris

I don't know the price on the Xilica (and I'm sure you don't want to quote here right now), if $100 or $300 means anything to you (it does to me), then it might be worthwhile to consider the 2x10 HD, which has balanced connectors.  I haven't used one, but I've seen no one complain about noise or lack of gain out of them (i.e., signal/noise ratio).  I'd try one if I had an immediate use for one.  As it is, I've got too many balls in the air right now.

Chris