K-77 Small MAHL Question

Dave A

I broke a tap off in one of the lenses the other day and it is scrap for all practical purposes. But I got to thinking about trying something I have thought of for some time and that is to add a pattern to the cut. These little dips and humps are called scallops in machining lingo and can be more exaggerated quite easily. So what do you all think of this idea?

DSC_0037.JPG

• Like 1

My thought was since they are radiating out in the same exact pattern and the surface itself is smooth it would not change anything. Then again who knows if exaggerated more what they would be like. Just a curiosity at this time unless there is interest.

I would bet that doin' what you done just makes it pretty and don't affect (see, Dean?) the sound none.  Now if you'd went right angles to that you might have something sonic.  But, consider golf balls and shark skin.  Do you want the ends of the wave "stuck to" the sidewalls or to more freely pass along them?  I don't know, just asking if you do.

Although I seem to recall a video in which Roy D. says the modelling clay kept the wave in contact with the walls better aiding control of the horn nearer cutoff.  But the horns in my Forte IIIs aren't exactly mirror-smooth, either.

Here's another conundrum:  if you made a concentric slice of the horn and carefully measured the circumference of the sound pathway, any undulation would increase the distance over a smooth surface.  So would the horn flare rate change, in effect (see, Dean?)?

On a more practical note, you could rearrange and slightly modify the program to get the screw holes established and (just) sufficiently threaded first thing if it's a higher-risk operation.  Could save time and wear & tear on the other tooling if you know early on whether the block of material is going to be an abortion.  Plus, the threads might cut even better in wood with more material surrounding them at the time.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:12 PM, glens said:

On a more practical note, you could rearrange and slightly modify the program to get the screw holes established and (just) sufficiently threaded first thing if it's a higher-risk operation.  Could save time and wear & tear on the other tooling if you know early on whether the block of material is going to be an abortion.  Plus, the threads might cut even better in wood with more material surrounding them at the time.

Forgot to answer this. The first cuts are on the bottom half where the tapped holes are and these cuts are maybe 1/6 the cut time for the whole piece so if I break a tap the majority of the work is yet to be done. I am going to try form taps soon as a machinist friend of mine says they use these and rarely break taps. Plus cleaner threads and no chips in hole and inherently stronger to since the threads will be work hardened. Sounds like the way to go. 

Not sure if my ears would be able to notice any audible differences between the "smooth" or the "scalloped" versions of these lenses, but I do have to say the scallops make a positive impact in terms of aesthetics.  As usual, very nice work.

That said, I'm staying with the walnut lenses for display and listening purposes.....

~

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

• Like 2

Dave, glad to see that you're still at it. I still have your tweeters in both pairs of my KLF-30's.

Anyone that still has the stock drivers/lenses doesn't know what they're missing. The music is so much more lively....more detailed and dynamic. Perfect for the Klipsch sound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Dave, glad to see that you're still at it. I still have your tweeters in both pairs of my KLF-30's.

Anyone that still has the stock drivers/lenses doesn't know what they're missing. The music is so much more lively....more detailed and dynamic. Perfect for the Klipsch sound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am not going anywhere but it looks like I really need to get a web site going. Everyone who gets these likes them but I don't ask people to give me glowing endorsements so whatever they say they do. I appreciate kind words when ever they show up though and thanks for your's.

• Like 1