Have you noticed ?

joessportster

20 hours ago, JJkizak said:

At first the world was flat and everyone was believing.

And then the Sun rotated around the Earth and everyone was believing.

And then the Universe was very tiny and everyone was believing.

And then Quantum Mechanics invented the transistor, laser, computer, cell phone, and this website and everyone was believing.

And then science said the Earth was warming with methane gas, carbon monoxide, and the destruction of forests and because of the unprecedented rate of rise of CO2 in the atmosphere by information derived from ocean bottom samples and ice core samples. But money is what is being believed in this case. How life has changed.

JJK

WAIT, the Earth isn't flat? This changes everything...

• Haha 1

While the previous comments made about Facebook (and the majority of it's users) are very true, there is one aspect of it that I find very useful and effective. My daughter is a local musician in Charleston and we use FB to advertise her shows and the venues that she will be playing. The venues love that we do that for them and it is very good advertising for her. She has become quite popular and as an 11th/12th grader in 2018 did around 175 shows. She was on pace to exceed that this year but she started college and the weeknight gigs will have to all but cease. 

Bottom line is that a large part of what has gotten her name out there has much to do with her Facebook advertising. The kid made around $40k last year in High School.....

"Like" her page at Cat Strickland Music please....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dtel said:

You dad probably said the same thing, you grow up with what your use to, that's your normal.

Your kids probably think color Tv, microwave ovens, plastic, computers and many other things are standard, they have no clue these things came about in your lifetime.

I doubt my dad thought about that much at all. Suffice to say someone would need to be in your life on a regular basis to feel that way. Things are different now,  but thats my doing more than his.

Agreed today kids think things are normal that I never saw in my youth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Maybe we should go back and talk about Mr. Science here, who tried to google USA temperatures and conclude something about Global Warming?  Does anyone else see the obvious disconnect?

Didnt try to conclude anything made an observation.  I dont profess to be anything other than a human with the right to express thoughts without being an A$$ twords anyone. You on the other hand think its fair game to denigrate anyone whom you even THINK disagrees with your agenda. 

In my simple Lay type of thinking where I use common sense more than a book or some ones opinion ( All Science starts as a thought / opinion ) It makes sense to "ME" if the world is getting exponentially hotter that TEMPS would bare that out. It does not take a genius to see they do not, (when taken on a state by state basis).  It also does not require a degree to see some info is conveniently hidden while other is poured out by the bucket. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, garyrc said:

Regardless of why it is changing, shouldn't we take steps to minimize any negative effects?  Like preventing the burning of the Amazon, minimizing our reliance on fossil fuels, etc.? 

Agreed 100% I see no reason not to continually try and improve. Though I dont think it should be at the expense of all others. IE....... If you build a better more economical car it will sell its self no need to legislate all other cars to death.  If I could take my same (or with in reason) money to a dealer and choose between a car that gets 20 MPG or a car that gets 40 MPg I will choose 40 every time. I hazard a guess that MOST rational people would do just that.  The market would eventually force the lower spec car out.   Same applies to basically anything. Elec for example make Solar affordable (The Tech is there) and I would sign up quickly, Dont legislate telling me I HAVE to get it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

While not entirely wrong, the way some of you are griping makes you come across as narrow minded old guys.

If it looks like  monkey and walks like a monkey, you got me right.

6 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

You do, after all, spend a fair amount of time socially interacting with people on an internet forum

Yes, when I come to sit down and drink coffee to take a break I check here and news and weather. And only when at home, like when not home for a week I may put one post with a pic from an Ipad if I feel energetic.  

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Facebook is all about "look at me", "selfies"

Guilty of one and I didn't do it, I was checking weather sitting at the table at Rodneys. Kelli came and sat on my lap and grabbed the Ipad and said look at this, pressed a button on the Ipad and it reversed the camera facing towards us and took a picture of us two before I knew what had even happened. She caught me, I didn't even know it did that, but being Kelli she of course knew how to take a selfie. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Khornukopia said:

An enormous amount of heat is generated by the compressors used for air conditioning and also during the production of electricity used to run the air conditioners.

And it's worth it. :o:lol:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Didnt try to conclude anything made an observation.  I dont profess to be anything other than a human with the right to express thoughts without being an A$$ twords anyone. You on the other hand think its fair game to denigrate anyone whom you even THINK disagrees with your agenda. 

In my simple Lay type of thinking where I use common sense more than a book or some ones opinion ( All Science starts as a thought / opinion ) It makes sense to "ME" if the world is getting exponentially hotter that TEMPS would bare that out. It does not take a genius to see they do not, (when taken on a state by state basis).  It also does not require a degree to see some info is conveniently hidden while other is poured out by the bucket. 

I don't have an agenda.  

• Moderators

Carbon Credits for sale 25% off, send payment immediately to make up for your earth killing habits, act now while you still can ! Save the......... insert here "whatever fits your most popular agenda", hurry, act now and get 10% off your next guilt induced purchase. White males add 25%, you know your guilty of more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Human beings just refuse to acknowledge that their existence on this planet is finite...just like it has been for every form of life which no longer exists on this planet.  We just jump up and down and scream that we are destroying the planet, but it has been destroyed numerous times, and varying life-forms have replaced those previously at the top of the food chain EVERY TIME!  We are actually pretty damned stupid if we won't acknowledge that our species is eventually doomed to be one of those who will go extinct on this planet...be it thru our own doing or an act of nature.   The best thing we can do to "save the planet" is to reduce our numbers so that the human footprint on our ecosystems is lessened, which will allow those ecosystems to recover and sustain themselves before we and those ecosystems are all taken out by the next major natural catastrophe.  For the remainder of the finite time that the humans remain on this planet, the goal should be to give the planet a chance to recover from us...by reducing our demands upon it...which entails a reduction in our numbers!  Period! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, dtel said:

Carbon Credits for sale 25% off, send payment immediately to make up for your earth killing habits, act now while you still can ! Save the......... insert here "whatever fits your most popular agenda", hurry, act now and get 10% off your next guilt induced purchase. White males add 25%, you know your guilty of more.

Soooooo Funny!  NOT

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Priceless :D 

That's the only one I've seen that wasn't done as a joke. I worked as a tv news photographer for ten years and had the greatest respect for everyone I ever worked with... well, most of them anyway. We made clips like that to show at our station Christmas party.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

There's part of the problem right there.  The world is not getting exponentially hotter, but the rate of change is accelerating.  

So we have global warming without warming IE.....Getting Hotter......................Why prey tell is it called GLOBAL WARMING ? They dont call it Global change acceleration at least not that I have heard. Perhaps this is the new catch phrase which includes Global warming without saying Global warming thus curtailing all argument against Global warming.

I going to have to play naive Mr. Science & look that theory up. 

1 minute ago, joessportster said:

So we have global warming without warming IE.....Getting Hotter......................Why prey tell is it called GLOBAL WARMING ? They dont call it Global change acceleration at least not that I have heard. Perhaps this is the new catch phrase which includes Global warming without saying Global warming thus curtailing all argument against Global warming.

I going to have to play naive Mr. Science & look that theory up. 

There is no doubt that global average temperatures are increasing, and at a faster rate.  The planet on average is getting hotter.  Yes, please do some research.  Sure, some want to take the facts and run with it a certain way, I would not deny that there are agendas out there regarding this.  What should not be in doubt however, are the basic facts.