More than two subs

Bighead

I am considering adding a third and fourth subwoofer to my home theater set up. My Klipsch R-112SW subs and the R-115SW subs that I want to add do not provide outputs so, Klipsch support told me that it is not recommended that I run more than two at a time. I am highly disappointed and surprised that Klipsch has sort of prevented their customers from easily adding more subwoofers. (If they had outputs, customers could purchase additional product $$$). I would prefer to add Klipsch subs as I do enjoy the sound (and look) but this has me considering buying subwoofers from another manufacturer. Has anyone added a third (and or a fourth) Klipsch subwoofer to their  HT? If so, how did you go about it? And how did it work out?

7 minutes ago, Bighead said:

I am considering adding a third and fourth subwoofer to my home theater set up. My Klipsch R-112SW subs and the R-115SW subs that I want to add do not provide outputs so, Klipsch support told me that it is not recommended that I run more than two at a time. I am highly disappointed and surprised that Klipsch has sort of prevented their customers from easily adding more subwoofers. (If they had outputs, customers could purchase additional product $$$). I would prefer to add Klipsch subs as I do enjoy the sound (and look) but this has me considering buying subwoofers from another manufacturer. Has anyone added a third (and or a fourth) Klipsch subwoofer to their  HT? If so, how did you go about it? And how did it work out?

Splitters from your AVR sub pre-outs is where you will accommodate the additional subs, not the subs themselves.

I realize that I can use a splitter but what about speaker set up? When I run Room EQ won’t the two subs conflict with the set up? Do I just set the gain and frequency dials the same on each one and hope for the best? I’ve also read on some forums saying that depending on when the subs were built that the gain knobs can be set differently. Any idea about that?

There's a ton of variables at play here and going with 4 subs isn't going to be just plug and play. You're going to have to roll up your sleeves a bit and dig into lots of forum threads and discussions and extract the bits which are relevant to your setup, brand of EQ, room dynamic, sub placement, etc.

In my setup, I have only two subs. They're physically next to each other, however, and at the front of the soundstage - directly behind my main speakers. My AVR supports dual subs, but because of their physical placement I have them fed from a single pre-out, gain matched, and treated as a single speaker with regards to EQ and room correction.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bighead said:

When I run Room EQ won’t the two subs conflict with the set up? Do I just set the gain and frequency dials the same on each one and hope for the best?

No, I think setting and hoping for the best is not going to get you your desired results. I don't run multiple subs yet myself, but I think most people use the miniDSP box: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box for managing more than 2 subs. This will allow you to correct each sub independently. 

PS: Is Klipsch's defense, whether they gave you a sub out or you use splitters, it results in the same thing... unless I'm missing something...

Edited by inMotionGraphics

• Moderators

Here are the specs for Dolby Atmos Pro, you can extrapolate out what they are trying to achieve,  what certified studios and mixing people who mix for Dolby Professional certified systems are putting into the mix and assuming the placement will be substantially close to.

5.4   Surround Subwoofer Placement The  following  guidelines  pertain  to  the  placement  of  surround  subwoofers  in  auditoriums: • The distance  from  a surround subwoofer  to  an auditorium corner should be  ≥  1  meter. • For rear wall  or ceiling  placement,  the surround  subwoofers should be  placed  wider  than  the top surround arrays. • For front wall  placement, the surround subwoofers should  be  wider than  the left and right screen  loudspeakers. • If multiple pairs of surround subwoofers are used, distribute  the  pairs along the length  of  the  auditorium.  For example, if  two  pairs are used, place  one  pair in  the back  of  the auditorium,  and one pair in  the  front half  of the auditorium. • Avoid placing  the  subwoofers  near  any  listening  position.  Placement  high  on  the  side  walls  or  on  the  ceiling  is  best.  The distance  from each surround  subwoofer  to  the nearest  listening  position should be  ≥  than one-quarter  the distance from the  subwoofer  to  the  RLP  (defined  on  page 1).  For a steeply  inclined  theatre (with  rear seats  near the  ceiling),  we recommend  placing  the  subwoofers  farther from the rear wall.

[End of quote] 

The RLP is the "reference listening point" it is 2/3's of the distance back from the screen towards rear of room, centered left and right.

Rear subs can be, and usually are of a different type and size in a cinema application, and their gain is set lower at the RLP than the front subs.  The front subs are set 10db over the front main speakers, (

The point is, depending on what you are mostly watching, your AVR or processor, what you mostly have on Bluray, etc., you may not need identical subs, and even if they are identical, they may not be intended to operate at the same gain levels.  

Travis

I think you’re right InMotionGraphics. If they are chained it wouldn’t matter if it’s through the sub out or a splitter. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Dwilawyer, thank you for responding. The information you have provided is helpful and appreciated.

• Like 1