Almost hot sauce time again

Max2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Max2 said:

When you tour the factory all you get is a short movie then watch them filling the bottles while standing behind a glass.  I would have loved to have see more of the process.

• Like 1

A lot of info I didnt know. I didnt know they grew in other countries, just thought it was all grown in Louisiana.  Also didnt know they fermented it for 3 years.  They said it was 70/30% chilis and vinegar. The bottled sauce sure is mild compared to a raw Tabasco chili. Also, every chili is picked by hand.

I grew a Tabasco plant this year and it was a PITA.  The fruit is not very big. I had a pretty big bush and I just had enough to fill a fifth Bourbon Bottle and Patron bottle to make a decorative pepper sauce to sit on a counter.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Max2 said:

I didnt know they grew in other countries, just thought it was all grown in Louisiana. 

I didn't know that either, but I guess they outgrew that a long time ago.

20 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Also didnt know they fermented it for 3 years. 

Those building with the barrels has a strange smell, never seen one opened like in the video. I guess they are picked by hand because the ripen at different times.

I was surprised at all the different flavors they make and all the different products they make with the sauce in it,  the chocolate with tabasco in it surprised me, never tried it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

I didn't know that either, but I guess they outgrew that a long time ago.

Those building with the barrels has a strange smell, never seen one opened like in the video. I guess they are picked by hand because the ripen at different times.

I was surprised at all the different flavors they make and all the different products they make with the sauce in it,  the chocolate with tabasco in it surprised me, never tried it. 

Yes, thats the tedious process. I would pick 10 or 15 every couple of days maybe and then go ahead and put them in vinegar. It took me the majority of the summer to fill one bottle. And then for the second bottle I had to pick a lot of green chilis because of an early frost. The appearance turned out better as I layered the different colors in the bottle. Of course, the Mum got that pretty one!      They tend to shrink pretty quickly when picked too, but another aspect I didn't know is that they're damn near all seeds....very little flesh to the chilis.

Oh and another thing I noticed in the vid was that after 3 years sitting all the moisture was gone and the kegs were less than half full at that point. 

• 1 year later...

so when is it hot sauce season?   I'm ready.  @oldtimer please keep me in mind when production starts back up.   I'm out.   Using Tabasco now ... decent; but not as good.

I'm ready for some of the 2021 crop ... hopefully COVID is in the rear view mirror, so I'm ready to celebrate with some "This side of death" sauce. Peace Brother.

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'll cook up something.  I recall you like the shallot lemongrass combo.

you've yet to disappoint me; but if I had to pick my favorite, it would be the Ghost to the Post and I think that was the lemongrass. good stuff!

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'll cook up something.  I recall you like the shallot lemongrass combo.

I've got 3 or 4 bags in the freezer for you but waiting on some more.  I had to move the plants so that we could have some work done on the pool so I'm not sure if they'll be as productive now in their new location.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:58 AM, The Dude said:

I was thinking of trying my hand at Habanero Mustard.  Have you ever made anything like that? 

I'd try it.  I can barely pour a bowl of cereal without some sort of disaster. 

I do love horseradish mashed potatoes though.  Horseradish mixed with ketchup is great on a burger too.