2nd Dayton MKBoom Build Thread

DizRotus

EDIT:  10/12/19

I purchased a second one.  The thread now chronicles the second build.

EDIT:  9/25/19

I purchased one.  The thread now chronicles the build.

Anyone have any experience with this thing found on page 9 of the Parts Express catalog SS Vol. 11?

For $129 I might get one to build as a gift for the Millenial kids.  Better yet, I give them the kit and let them build it.

Boom.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, justinsweber said:

I bought one to build. 

Have the cab assembled. I think it’s a great project. I do wish I could of grills. I found an ok grill for the tweeter but not one for the woofer.  I’ll let you guys know how the project turns out. 😉

What tweeter grill did you find?

Looks like a fun project. Let us know how they sound.

Me personally, would rather cut my own wood and have someone else assemble the tiny little amp parts for me. Old eyes and fat fingers just don't work well with the small parts. I noticed they fast forward through that part in their video.

Still should be a nice build out.

Everything arrived.  It looks very good.  It will be a fun project.  The first decision is the type of glue.  The instruction video shows yellow wood glue, such as Titebond.  I have used wood glue or Loctite PL on other speaker projects, both with good results.  Each has benefits and drawbacks, but I’m leaning toward PL.

If interested, two links to videos from PE’s site are included below.  In fact, they’re included whether or not you’re interested.

https://www.parts-express.com/DisplayProductVideo.aspx?VideoID=3065&zpid=46790

https://www.parts-express.com/DisplayProductVideo.aspx?VideoID=3064&zpid=46790

• Like 1

The maximum available space for grills is as follows:

• woofer = 3.5” diameter; and
  • tweeter = 2.5” diameter.

I’d like to find black metal grills in those diameters.

Upon further reflection, I think I’ll use Titebond, as shown in the PE videos.

911EFCD9-7B38-4B8A-8C14-FD3DE389ECE8.jpeg

I used the components minus the drivers for my son's ammo can build.  He loves it, we decided on marine grade speakers, as it will be used where water may be splashed.  The ammo can seals up nicely, so no worries of water getting the main components.  just make sure you get the correct charger cord to charge the batteries. 

So far, the CNC cuts are fine.   Screwing directly into MDF gives me the willies, so I’ll glue and clamp small sections of hardwood dowels to the back of each screw location.  Once glued together, the only access is by removing the screws attaching the plate to the back or the drivers.  Without the supplemental real wood, removing and replacing screws in MDF securely would be damn near impossible.

I also plan to round over all hard exterior edges with a router.  IMO, it looks better and prevents the inevitable dents in the hard 90 degree edges.  I’ll post photos as I go along.  

Unless this thing sounds like crap, which I don’t expect,  I’ll be buying more for my sons, nephews and niece.

28676018-4D13-46D3-BCED-8243CC7FE396.jpeg

E309467F-0B1C-444E-AA59-1CB108EE896D.jpeg

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I’ll glue and clamp small sections of hardwood dowels to the back of each screw location.

If you're looking for fast and easy, apply the glue, clamp in place then use a brad nailer to secure the panels to each other.  You can then remove the clamps and move on to the next panel without waiting for it to dry.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, MookieStl said:

Well??!

Did it go MkBOOM yet?

Perhaps this weekend.  Gluing and clamping the dowel sections to the MDF has slowed things down.  You can only fit so many clamps at a time.

As an incurable DIYer I had to modify this thing.  In addition to the hardwood discs glued to the screw locations, I’m adding some plywood strips behind the control panel for reinforcement and to accept the screws that attach the panel.  Photos will follow.

4CA0A4DD-EAF5-4BED-A488-BC527325EA8B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you're looking for fast and easy, apply the glue, clamp in place then use a brad nailer to secure the panels to each other.  You can then remove the clamps and move on to the next panel without waiting for it to dry.

I’ve used that technique successfully in the past on 1/2” or larger stock, but not on this 1/4” or less MDF.