Build KLF-30 Bass Bins....

SWL

I have (8) extra K-31 12" woofers since I went to the Ciare woofers.

I'm considering building some passive bass bins with these. I have an extra Paradigm X-30 subwoofer controller (phase, frequency, gain) and an extra Crown K2 as well as a Behringer EP4000.

Thinking of building two bins with two K-31's in each.

Would the total cabinet volume have to be the same as a KLF-30 cabinet.....or is some of that volume required for the mids and tweets?

Also, I'd like to buy a kit that I could just slap together if possible.

Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated. This little project most likely won't start until after Christmas. Just doing a little homework.

I think I remember years ago the KG line had a passive box that was similar to what I'm suggesting.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you're looking to duplicate the KLF-30 bass I'd build it exactly the same dimensions port size etc the horns used in that model are shallow mount don't think they take up much air space and the difference would likely be made up by additional internal bracing you'd probably install anyway. 

• Like 1

If you're looking to duplicate the KLF-30 bass I'd build it exactly the same dimensions port size etc the horns used in that model are shallow mount don't think they take up much air space and the difference would likely be made up by additional internal bracing you'd probably install anyway. 

Hmmm....now I'm thinking maybe just building a cab that houses only one 12" driver. Multiple cabs. Hmmm....8 woofers equals 8 subs. Subs all over the place. I think I'm getting excited.

This is for my basement/workout room. Right now it has a pair of 30's and two 18" EV subs. It's my motivation to workout system. I'm envisioning lining the walls with KLF-30 bass. It's gonna punch so hard it's gonna....well....it's gonna punch, baby.[emoji106]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

cool project.   I have a pair of KLF10 woofers  for same. 

KLF 10 vs KLF 30 specs say KLF 10 has 32 -3db point. vs 36Hz for KLF 30..

Do you plan to use same box/port?   

This is good bass response but not exactly a sub woofer.

wondering if you would want a high pass to cut power below resonance and uncontrolled woofer ?

The proper tool for the job is best.

People are probably looking for these woofers as well, sell them a get some proper drivers for the task at hand.

Heads up.  N/A.
Not looking for deeper bass....just additional bass that I already have (not that I need it....). I did this once with an additional pair of 30's just powering the woofers in them and it worked pretty good.

Jason you'll appreciate this. Like I mentioned in this system I'm (was) using two 18" EV DR subs. They make a lot of boom boom but let's face it.....they suck compared to horn loaded.

Forum member Claude1 turned me on to the Behringer A500 for sub duty with the BF subs. Sounds phenomenal with my THTLP's but the real surprise was that little TTLS (table tuba long style) that I bought from you a few years ago.

That little horn loaded sub with an 8" driver in it outperforms the two 18" subs in every way. It has just as much impact and most of all I was reminded how these horn loaded subs blend so seamlessly into the mains. It doesn't sound like a sub is in the system. It just sounds like I upgraded my speakers. Sweet.

9 hours ago, SWL said:

Not looking for deeper bass....just additional bass that I already have (not that I need it....). I did this once with an additional pair of 30's just powering the woofers in them and it worked pretty good.

Jason you'll appreciate this. Like I mentioned in this system I'm (was) using two 18" EV DR subs. They make a lot of boom boom but let's face it.....they suck compared to horn loaded.

Forum member Claude1 turned me on to the Behringer A500 for sub duty with the BF subs. Sounds phenomenal with my THTLP's but the real surprise was that little TTLS (table tuba long style) that I bought from you a few years ago.

That little horn loaded sub with an 8" driver in it outperforms the two 18" subs in every way. It has just as much impact and most of all I was reminded how these horn loaded subs blend so seamlessly into the mains. It doesn't sound like a sub is in the system. It just sounds like I upgraded my speakers. Sweet.

It would be best to now maybe look into one of the KPT series if anything, sell those woofers and you have a great start. The THT's will sing right along with any KPT series as well.

Many underestimate the Table Tuba because they think an 8 or 10" driver is not capable of performing well, that is until they hear one.

If you do decide you want to sell any K-31s,  hit me up. I live about an hour away.
I'll keep you in mind but honestly......just buy the Ciare woofers. They cost close to the same as new K-31E's and they're just flat out.....gooder.[emoji39]