Harman Kardon Citation II Tube Amy with Heritage

texas42

I’m not the same Justin. 
That said, been building SET amps and modifying Klipisch speakers for 20 years.  Given that I’m 40, means I’ve been at it for a tinny but of time ;-). On all the forums I’ve always used my full name or company name. I don’t like aviators which sometimes hide identity.

If you guys want some more shots of the Cit V let me know. It’s interesting. I’m getting 32watts rms with the 7581a and tube rectification but it’s very very wide bandwidth. I think the bandwidth makes amp sound much more powerful.  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, justinsweber said:

I’m not the same Justin. 
That said, been building SET amps and modifying Klipisch speakers for 20 years.  Given that I’m 49, means I’ve been at it for a tinny but of time ;-). On all the forums I’ve always used my full name or company name. I don’t like aviators which sometimes hide identity.

If you guys want some more shots of the Cit V let me know. It’s interesting. I’m getting 32watts rms with the 7581a and tube rectification but it’s very very wide bandwidth. I think the bandwidth makes amp sound much more powerful.  

Thanks for the clarification, Justin, and for those who really DON'T know much about the ORIGINAL designer of both of these amps (Cit II and Cit V...and many others!)...but love Carver Amps...here is some info FROM Carver, himself:

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tubes/209646/re-bob-carver-on-stu-hegeman-ultralinear-and-6550-vs-kt88

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Thanks for the clarification, Justin, and for those who really DON'T know much about the ORIGINAL designer of both of these amps (Cit II and Cit V...and many others!)...but love Carver Amps...here is some info FROM Carver, himself:

https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tubes/209646/re-bob-carver-on-stu-hegeman-ultralinear-and-6550-vs-kt88

Enjoy!

I did enjoy. Thank you. My Citation II was a tube amp I sold/traded to a good friend of over 40 years, when I was about 20. He still has it. Maybe it's time to clean it up and plug it in!

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, justinsweber said:

HKs use simple transformers but have complicated circuits. 

This is the very first time i have heard that.  I have 2 rebuilt (myself + JM), so am pretty familiar with the circuit. (I did not follow the recipe, and this ain’t my fist rodeo, but there are many more knowledgeable).  But confess, i’ve never torn apart one of the freed opts.  Please share the details of your analysis as there are many spending big bucks on just the opts and if we can match their performance for less $$ that would be good news.  But please include facts (not suggesting your views are not supported by facts, but we do get some unsubstantiated statements here, so want o make sure I don’t react to another). Thanks.

• Moderators
On 8/10/2021 at 11:48 AM, bigbargain said:

This is the very first time i have heard that.  I have 2 rebuilt (myself + JM), so am pretty familiar with the circuit. (I did not follow the recipe, and this ain’t my fist rodeo, but there are many more knowledgeable).  But confess, i’ve never torn apart one of the freed opts.  Please share the details of your analysis as there are many spending big bucks on just the opts and if we can match their performance for less $$ that would be good news.  But please include facts (not suggesting your views are not supported by facts, but we do get some unsubstantiated statements here, so want o make sure I don’t react to another). Thanks.

You realize you are responding to a post that's almost two years old?