Hurricane windows/doors in Florida?

Emile

In Florida ... We are trying to upgrade our windows/doors to hurricane impact strength.  Did several myself, but getting too old to do more :( (At least that's what my wife tells me :( )  8 more windows ... quotes so far have ranged from $22K to 10K and really have no clue why. Also have 18 french doors ... being told "just replace them," at $2-3K per pair, but know replacement inserts are available at $500-700 per door.  Just think I'm getting screwed :D  

Cheers, Emile  

Emile
You have a very nice home and from my experience when someone comes up to a nice home likes yours they will add more to the real price of the job. If you have an estimate with all the sizes of the windows and doors. Try going to one of the local companies that make them. Here in Florida we have tons of company’s that make them
After you get the price of them they can hook you up with a installer and maybe you can get a better price. On my house that’s 3000sf and I have tons of windows and they are all Hurricane rated and the cost was under 6k, all in with labor and Materials
Good luck and don’t give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

18 French doors? That's a lot of window area, but I'll bet it sure looks good.

Yeah :D  Bought a "sawzall" and went crazy :)  Actually, enclosed a lanai with about 5 double doors and made doors from windows in several bedrooms.  But ... was about 15 years ago when we all did "covers," before "impact glass" became popular :(  Jeez; should have spend the extra dollars back then :( 

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

Emile
You have a very nice home and from my experience when someone comes up to a nice home likes yours they will add more to the real price of the job. If you have an estimate with all the sizes of the windows and doors. Try going to one of the local companies that make them. Here in Florida we have tons of company’s that make them
After you get the price of them they can hook you up with a installer and maybe you can get a better price. On my house that’s 3000sf and I have tons of windows and they are all Hurricane rated and the cost was under 6k, all in with labor and Materials
Good luck and don’t give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom!  Exactly what I'd do if I were going to buy hurricane proof windows.  Could just buy some beachfront property along the Ohio side of the Ohio river.  In another 10 years everything East of the Ohio will be underwater according to my old Geology prof.

• Haha 1