Crack in 402 repair

Jim Gregory

Jim Gregory can you post a photo or two? And are your horns first or second generation versions? I've repaired and repainted both types with great success. There are quite a few pre-existing body shop techniques that work great to repair or refinish these 402 horns. About my 1st gens melting, maybe melting isn't the best choice of word, warping would be closer. I suppose if you set the things in the sun on a 90 degree day they'd literally melt.

1 hour ago, DMH said:

Jim Gregory can you post a photo or two? And are your horns first or second generation versions? I've repaired and repainted both types with great success

Thank you DMH. I work nights so will not be back home till around 4am est. I will take pictures and send them tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DMH said:

Jim Gregory can you post a photo or two? And are your horns first or second generation versions?

Looked up some old posts and this cracked 402 is from the guy in Orlando, FL (eBay from Jan 2018) which was identified as 1st generation. The one that will warp if left in the sun in 90 degree temperatures. 

• Moderators

Don't know how but I would patch somehow on the back (maby epoxy with something to reinforce it) and just use something to remove/smooth the crack on the front and maby paint. i wouldn't want to add any change of shape to the front side in any way. 

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

Don't know how but I would patch somehow on the back (maby epoxy with something to reinforce it) and just use something to remove/smooth the crack on the front and maby paint. i wouldn't want to add any change of shape to the front side in any way. 

Yes Sir.  Thinking it through logically, that was my “inexperienced” thought as well. 

The small cracks, I do not think have enough separation to be able to get adhesive material into, but a patch on the back may serve to keep the cracks from extending further. I have heard in other applications that if you drill a small hole at the end of the crack that it will also stop the crack from extending any further. Any advice is appreciated. I know this horn is old and worn but I think she deserves to continue to sing. 😊