Type KP-2.5A crossover

Dave A

Yes I am recapping but I wanted to make sure the extra cap added in was not supposed to be there, which I have decided is the case. Plus this one has a set of Zener diodes in it which does not show up on any schematic I have seen and they are from Klipsch done that way.  Measuring is not the problem here it was just seeing a crossover type I had not seen before and wanting the schematic for it.

I have seen a picture of the 2.5A but have never found a schematic or had my hands on the actual crossover.  I appears to use the same cap set as the 2.5B crossover except the 2.5uF caps were done using a 1.5uF and 1uF in parallel.  Also the zeners were on it but I don't know what part number zener was used.  Doesn't seem to be the same zener used on the Type AA crossover.

Bob Crites

2010-10-30_17-14-31_320.jpg

Thanks Bob that's the one in question and you answered my main question. One crossover had the 4uf cap from the autoformer to the + input terminal and the other one did not. I had never seen a cap just floating in air like that and figured someone had done something after the fact but apparently it is factory.

3 hours ago, BEC said:

I have seen a picture of the 2.5A but have never found a schematic or had my hands on the actual crossover.  I appears to use the same cap set as the 2.5B crossover except the 2.5uF caps were done using a 1.5uF and 1uF in parallel.  Also the zeners were on it but I don't know what part number zener was used.  Doesn't seem to be the same zener used on the Type AA crossover.

Bob Crites

2010-10-30_17-14-31_320.jpg

That Zener is IN2973B for your records.

Thanks for that zener part number.  The 1N2973B is a 9.1 volt zener.  The zener used in the AA crossover is a 5.1 volt.  That means considerably more power is allowed to the tweeter in the KP 2.5A than was allowed by the AA crossover.

Bob Crites

Yes I think it is the larger than K-77 tweeter so it should handle more. Don't know which exact tweeter it is and it seems records for the KP-250 are pretty spotty so some are not documented that I can find. My first time seeing this crossover for KP-250's and I thought I had seen them all by now.

If I have time to do other things besides Boneheads class I have thought about swinging by to meet you if you are up to a visit.

16 hours ago, Dave A said:

Yes I think it is the larger than K-77 tweeter so it should handle more. Don't know which exact tweeter it is and it seems records for the KP-250 are pretty spotty so some are not documented that I can find. My first time seeing this crossover for KP-250's and I thought I had seen them all by now.

If I have time to do other things besides Boneheads class I have thought about swinging by to meet you if you are up to a visit.

Yes, let me know when.