Annoyed by smartphones etc.

parlophone1

30 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It could be your settings that are letting all those pop ups and spam through, or the phone maker themselves. We are an Apple family, I have never had a pop up or anything like that on my phone. My computer might if I'm on a site that allows them, like Facebook. Apple goes a long way to keep things secure.

I don't get pop ups on my android either. 

I'm going to implement a policy at my house but can't take credit for thinking it up.  I'm getting a phone basket for my kitchen table.  Whenever the family gets together for a meal, everyone's phone goes in the basket.  Everyone can certainly survive 15 or 20 minutes without looking at their phone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All of your folks supposed annoyances will be completely forgotten the first time your spouse, children, friends, or elderly parents need to use their phone in an emergency. I have had two medical emergencies myself in the last five years where my phone basically saved my life. End of story. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

All of your folks supposed annoyances will be completely forgotten the first time your spouse, children, friends, or elderly parents need to use their phone in an emergency. I have had two medical emergencies myself in the last five years where my phone basically saved my life. End of story. 

That's actually what phones are supposed to be used for.  No issues there.

• Like 3

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm getting a phone basket for my kitchen table.

Better put it in a different room where you can't hear it sing, buzz or any of the other annoying noises.

NO phone for me, well one that anyone can call me on anyway. It is the wife's old cracked screen Iphone 4, just for wifi music and cd's loaded on it, it is just a music player, same as the Ipad.

Not being a phone user everyone walking around staring at their phones looks like zombies to me. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pete H said:

Some people need to read things multiple times to comprehend, so I'm just trying to help.  LOL

You see that all the time here on the forum also, it's not just reading, If I need to tell the wife something I wait untill she either puts the phone down or stops and looks at me. If not I can guarantee you she never heard a word I said.

• Like 1

I just had a gal leave the office.  She got a coupe texts while here.

The "ringer" she had associated with the text was a female voice simply saying "Hey".  

The first time "she" said HEY, it was cute.  

My flip phone will probably dial 911 with MORE ease than my 'smart' phone because my smart phone locks up and I have to go through a security process rather than just flipping it open to dial.

Now, if I need a McGyver trick to save someone else's life, the smart phone does have better options because I can watch the video of how he does it.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Now, if I need a McGyver trick to save someone else's life, the smart phone does have better options because I can watch the video of how he does it.

Good God that would be scary, I can see it now, you.,,,,,,,"hold up I need to watch this video first". 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm going to implement a policy at my house but can't take credit for thinking it up.  I'm getting a phone basket for my kitchen table.  Whenever the family gets together for a meal, everyone's phone goes in the basket.  Everyone can certainly survive 15 or 20 minutes without looking at their phone.

=== or maybe the Host should be “Hostier”? We’re easily entertained at the Pilgramage with the “slushie”  trick but around the family table

you may need new material — their phone may be all they have —

• Moderators
Just now, richieb said:

=== or maybe the Host should be “Hostier”? We’re easily entertained at the Pilgramage with the “slushie”  trick but around the family table

you may need new material — their phone may be all they have —

It's easier when your getting a drink, and probably not the first.

I love new made up words, Hostier, need to remember that one.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Then we'll stare at each other in silence then.  It's better than looking at the top of their heads.

Not much silence, someone always has some kind of BS to say, and it's not really the head, it all about the amount of shininess. Next time use some polish or wax,  they must have something to make it glow more ?

Have to say that looks better then trying to cover everything with a few hairs.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Good idea, and it works. When the family does eat together, my wife makes everyone turn their phones off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

That's what it's all about...

The one thing you can't do on a smartphone is have a real conversation.  The sound is awful, then there's the random buzzes, breakups and cutoffs. If I want to have a meaningful conversation with someone I almost always call them on my landline.

Quite frankly I don't even know why they call them phones, that's a gigantic lie right there.

• Like 1

I like the family rules about turning off cell phones at the "gatherings", meals or otherwise.  I acknowledge the use for emergencies which were not possible before cell coverage.  But, I've seen the police videos of people driving and texting and it isn't pretty.  ON STAR used to be able to provide contact in the event of an emergency.  I wish we could have our phones go air plane mode in a car, except for ON STAR like coverage.  Must be a way!