Annoyed by smartphones etc.

parlophone1

@parlophone1If you've got android rooted get adaway. Got a newer one with dual partitions a couple of years ago and the process was a little much for me so for about $30 I bought a lifetime subscription for Adguard that works on stock phones. Well that and the PureNexus Rom creator retired. 

@thebes think that's your carriers fault (or did you tick someone off in dc?) I never had issues like that except way out in the stix a few times.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Emile said:

But it's mostly people that think they are "smart" by using them :D 

The truth is almost all smartphones are smarter than the user, yes probably yours. 

I say this because they can do way more than 99% of the owners know, plus they are tracking you and spying on you in ways you have no idea. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Good idea, and it works. When the family does eat together, my wife makes everyone turn their phones off. 

I have gone out to dinner with people and said that I would leave if they looked at their phone one more time.  Sometimes it's my wife that I'm saying it to.  I don't even take a phone into a restaurant.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I consider myself the biggest Luddite here, but I'm going to blow you flip phone users out of the water with your own criteria.  The bottom line is, my Iphone 5 has better sound quality than all my old flip phones put together.  It's very natural sounding and clear as a bell.

AND I don't have to attach it to my ear.  The speaker phone feature is eminently practical and again, the SQ is phenomenal for a little phone speaker!

+++

Bonus Round:  I also have to admit I find the text feature genuinely useful since I don't leave voice mail messages.  A text can sit there until I decide to read it, or respond to it.  It  provides a written record when I forget what someone has said, which these days is 10 seconds after I hear it.

I can also talk to my phone.  Simple commands such as "weather" or "call home" is quicker and easier than any alternative to accomplish the same thing.  You just talk normal like you are talking to a person and it works correctly 99% of the time. 

I wish my wife would correctly hear what I'm saying 99% of the time. 

• Like 2

It's not the smartphone/tablet that is annoying, but some apps.

Take your time to set up your apps and privacy settings, and you'll be good.

Consider getting rid of apps like Facebook, Instagram, Google etc which are tracking you in all your moves on the internet, and instead move to Telegram, DuckDuckGo which are trace -free.

If someone takes his/her smartphone while he's/she's with you, stand up and walk away in the middle of your or his/her sentence. (Try to spot their facial expression 🥵

16 hours ago, dtel said:

Not being a phone user everyone walking around staring at their phones looks like zombies to me. 

i don't own one, either.

wife has a flip phone. I barely know how to answer it. I-phone... HaHaHa I get handed one and I don't know what to do with it beside like the Corona ad and skip it across the waves.

Consider getting rid of apps like Facebook, Instagram, Google etc which are tracking you in all your moves on the internet, and instead move to Telegram, DuckDuckGo which are trace -free.

How do you know that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SWL said:

How do you know that?

You're right, the only way to be completely sure you're not tracked and traced and manipulated, is to go completely off the grid... and to go and live in a cave somewhere and kill your dinner with your bare hands... ;-))

Alternatively, you could first read this: https://spreadprivacy.com/tag/duckduckgo-q-a/ 

It is my strong conviction that...

1) Trump became president of the US

and 

2) The Brits voted in favour of Brexit

thanks to citizens' opinions being 'nudged' towards certain ideas by means of unlawful, undemocratic use of Facebook and the likes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ILI said:

It is my strong conviction that...

1) Trump became president of the US

and 

thanks to citizens' opinions being 'nudged' towards certain ideas by means of unlawful, undemocratic use of Facebook and the likes.

I don't want to start a political discussion, but may I offer an alternative analysis?  I'm not taking a shot at you personally but your conviction (feelings) is not supported by any facts here in the United States.

1)  There is NO example of anybody in the US who voted who had their opinion changed by an unlawful (speaking loosely, I know what you mean) Facebook (etc) post.  Not one.

2)  Social media, Facebook, Google, Twitter etc. is highly biased towards the liberal point of view, the left leaning point of view.  That bias would favor Trump's defeated opponent, not Trump.

It has been pretty well established that although Trump won the election according to our American electoral college he didn't have any more votes (50 million) than the previous republican candidate who lost by a substantial margin to President Obama.  The other side of that fact is the democrat candidate did not have as many democrat voters come out as they did for President Obama.  It was that apathy by the democrat voters that kept them from going to the polls to vote for the democrat candidate.  There is no proof that any votes/opinions were changed because of social media, either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't want to start a political discussion,

I wonder why Americans never want to start a political discussion... After all, that is the basis of democracy, wouldn't you agree?

Strange...

This lady, working for Cambridge Analycia, talks for 40 minutes about how her company aided President Trump.

So, I you're right, she's lying all the time, she's making this up as she's standing there?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ILI said:

I wonder why Americans never want to start a political discussion...

Strange...

Another erroneous conclusion based on limited information.  In fact, Americans love to talk about politics.  I like to talk about politics. 

I made that statement because it is against the rules of this forum to talk about politics.  I don't want to get banned!

In the past, I have not been the best example of following those rules.  :rolleyes:

+++

After all, that is the basis of democracy, wouldn't you agree?

In the US constitution the 1st Amendment deals with freedom of speech.  It is number 1 because it is so important to all of our rights.  It specifically protects political free speech from being repressed by our government.  It is one of our most cherished rights.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, ILI said:

This lady, working for Cambridge Analycia, talks for 40 minutes about how her company aided President Trump.

So, I you're right, she's lying all the time, she's making this up as she's standing there?

She blathers quite a bit, and if I'm not mistaken she is pushing her own company's services for profit.  I watched about 10 minutes but I don't have time to watch the entire thing right now.  I'll try to catch up on it later.

I am trained in behavioral psychology and have a degree in it.  I know there are at least two sides to every story and she is only discussing one side.

That's actually why I offered my counter theory to your point about how the US president was elected.  My point is was not about politics, but about the idea that social media can CHANGE the ideas of millions of voters to change the outcome of an election.  Both sides are using social media to the same end, and that we now know the Russians were trying to influence BOTH sides, their goal being to create chaos.

+++

BTW, this is NOT a case of "I'm right you're wrong."  In my case I might have seen some information you might not have seen.  I only offer it as an alternative view. 

I'm wrong a lot of times, just ask my wife.

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I am trained in behavioral psychology and have a degree in it

This forum must give you quite a chuckle then.  is there a clinical term for the types you see here?  No wait, don’t answer that -- i don’t want to you to catch any flack from those here with behavioral problems.  At least MY behavioral problem is charming. 

• Haha 2