Annoyed by smartphones etc.

parlophone1

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

At least MY behavioral problem is charming. 

My favorite is Obsessive Compulsive.  It gets the housework done faster.  🤣

+++

It's like the man whose wife thought she was a chicken.  After a year he finally took her in to see the doctor. 

The doctor asked "why did you wait so long to bring her in to get help?"  to which her husband replied "we needed the eggs."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My favorite is Obsessive Compulsive.  It gets the housework done faster.

i have OCD; but, it’s not one of the “useful” ones like you mentioned. If anyone wants to trade -- i’ll gladly give up mine -- I’ll take a toothache, broken bone, or give you two of my senses. 

10 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't want to start a political discussion,

Don't want to be judgemental to anyone. Here in Europe, extreme right parties (read: fascists)  have huge budgets to 'nudge' the public to their side. Social media are their main tool to realize this.

As for tablets and smartphones for playback of music...

I'm using a 3 year old Amazon Fire HD8 and I find it pretty good media player. https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-Tablet-Display-Black/dp/B0794RHPZD

I cannot find any details about the DAC in it. Most specs lists just mention stereo speakers, mini-jack 3.5mm and Dolby Atmos compatibility. But no details on dac/processors.

The strange thing is that with the Spotify app, the volume is turned down slightly compared to playback through Silk (browser) and dedicated apps such as Arte Concert and Berliner Digital Concert Hall. With those apps, the sound quality is really excellent on my system. I don't use bluetooth but a minijack cable.

I can imagine that a high end smartphone such as the iPhone X/11 or Samsung 10 would blow my Amazon Fire away.

Alexa, of course, together with Siri and Ok Google, are great tools for the NSA and MI5 to listen into our household conversations too! 

I'm so glad I live on mainland Europe, where these 'services' are banned by law.

Not so in the UK and we all know what that has done to the country!

5 hours ago, ILI said:

Don't want to be judgemental to anyone. Here in Europe, extreme right parties (read: fascists)  have huge budgets to 'nudge' the public to their side. Social media are their main tool to realize this.

I would be interested in your definition of extreme right wing and does extreme left wing exist in Europe?

What flavor of Kool-aid do you prefer with your unelected leaders in Brussels? Not that I want to be judgemental. Does extreme left wing have any budget besides the EU government and leaders and all the network news and colleges that teach this and schools that do the same? Or is extreme left wing now the defacto governing class with the sad results as recorded throughout history soon to arrive with the budgets of whole nations behind it. "Animal Farm" on steroids and you get to be there even if you don't understand that. Social media is the only tool left that the extreme left has not taken over and subverted over there as far as I can see and Brussels is busy trying to end that too.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:00 PM, CECAA850 said:

I don't get pop ups on my android either. 

I'm going to implement a policy at my house but can't take credit for thinking it up.  I'm getting a phone basket for my kitchen table.  Whenever the family gets together for a meal, everyone's phone goes in the basket.  Everyone can certainly survive 15 or 20 minutes without looking at their phone.

Mine is I turn mine on only when I am driving somewhere and I do NOT buy those things for anyone as gifts. Especially grand kids.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, wvu80 said:

I consider myself the biggest Luddite here, but I'm going to blow you flip phone users out of the water with your own criteria.  The bottom line is, my Iphone 5 has better sound quality than all my old flip phones put together.  It's very natural sounding and clear as a bell.

AND I don't have to attach it to my ear.  The speaker phone feature is eminently practical and again, the SQ is phenomenal for a little phone speaker!

Ummmm.....  I use my (flip) phone as a phone.  Generally don't care to use the speaker portion of it (though it sounds fine for that intended purpose)  Don't text with it, I MIGHT send a picture with it but probably less than one/two per year...

Maybe I'm a bit of an odd case here since (working in the investment world) I've had one or even two phones at my desk over my entire career....  my job IS the phone (not counting face time with people).

So I'm on the phone at work....  last thing I really want to do is be shackled to yet another phone when I'm away from work.

so perhaps I've got a bit of a jaundiced view of phones in general and why I try to keep it simple.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I would be interested in your definition of extreme right wing and does extreme left wing exist in Europe?

What flavor of Kool-aid do you prefer with your unelected leaders in Brussels? Not that I want to be judgemental. Does extreme left wing have any budget besides the EU government and leaders and all the network news and colleges that teach this and schools that do the same? Or is extreme left wing now the defacto governing class with the sad results as recorded throughout history soon to arrive with the budgets of whole nations behind it. "Animal Farm" on steroids and you get to be there even if you don't understand that. Social media is the only tool left that the extreme left has not taken over and subverted over there as far as I can see and Brussels is busy trying to end that too.

I'd say that extreme left (communists) in Europe is negligable: nowhere higher than 3%.

Extreme right, with roots in wwII fascism, is rising everywhere, 15% .

I'm an educator and it is my moral duty to be neutral. I most of the time am. But I cannot stand dishonesty and blatant stupidity. 

The teacher population of Europe is a mix of right and left, mirroring the population. There is no hidden agenda...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ILI said:

This is the reason I love the international flavor to our forum.  You have knowledge and experience I don't. 

I am mistrustful of our American media so I am skeptical of what agenda they try to push.  That's why I like hearing first hand what our leaders say, I can figure out for myself what it means and I always respect the perspective from real people, like yourself.

Thanks for sharing.  :emotion-21:

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, ILI said:

You're right, the only way to be completely sure you're not tracked and traced and manipulated, is to go completely off the grid... and to go and live in a cave somewhere and kill your dinner with your bare hands... ;-))

Alternatively, you could first read this: https://spreadprivacy.com/tag/duckduckgo-q-a/ 

It is my strong conviction that...

1) Trump became president of the US

and 

2) The Brits voted in favour of Brexit

thanks to citizens' opinions being 'nudged' towards certain ideas by means of unlawful, undemocratic use of Facebook and the likes.

Watch this...The Great Hack

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9358204/

Also Why privacy matters...

https://www.privacytools.io/#

Hmmmm... SIGINT (signals intelligence)

https://theintercept.com/2018/08/15/nsa-vpn-hack-al-jazeera-sidtoday/

Wow!!!!!

https://weakdh.org/

On 9/11/2019 at 3:57 PM, ILI said:

This lady, working for Cambridge Analycia, talks for 40 minutes about how her company aided President Trump.

So, I you're right, she's lying all the time, she's making this up as she's standing there?

I made it through the entire 40 minutes.  The Q&A at the end was very interesting.  In particular the last question which dealt with the fact that CambAnal worked with Ted Cruz.  "If social media can manipulate and change minds, why didn't Ted Cruz win?"  The answer that he did "better than expected" was not convincing to me that this use of analytics can elect an otherwise un-electable candidate.

Still, it was an interesting talk.  To answer your question, "no" I don't think she's lying.  The techniques she is discussing is not new.  Back in psychology school one of the best classes I took dealt with applied psychology in business and advertising.  The twist here is they are using computer models and social media to target voters.  Not just to change minds, but to track interested voters in the client's cause and motivate them to get to the polls to vote.

Like the German audience and you @ILI I question some of the ethics and legality of how they are using that data.  I don't have any answers but other smart people, yourself included are thinking deeply about this use of social media in politics.  It really did make me think as well.

The moronic thing just died on me, out of nowhere. Battery 70% full. I was reading some pdf. 

I was also 160 miles away from home, so I had to call back home to my folks who were finding pin to activate the smart thing. Now I was finally smart enough to kill all the activating codes so the next time I have no such problems.

I need to add  , before we purchased our SPs   , I'd walk up behind people who were playing with their phones to see what they were doing , and I'll tell ya , Nothin.90 percent   were just scrolling  up and down  , amazed at all the content on  their phones  , their phones serving no purpose  , wasting time  , waiting for what ever they were waiting for .

Yes , a few were texting or reading news 

• 1 month later...

DuckDuckGo  app finally crashed on my smartphone. 

It lasted only a few months.

It is annoying that one app crashes after short use. And I was accustomed to it.

That is exactly one of the reasons why smartphones are not doing it for me. I want something dependable, at least for a year or two. 

Crash in a couple of months is just a no-no in my terms. It is a proof of incompetence from the side of developer.

Still hate smartphones, and as long as I go further, there is nothing to prove me wrong in that.

Just a note to that, my Nikon F2 is still working, after 40 years as of it's first day of use.