Universal Disc Player

JohnA

I'm looking for a new, good UDP.  Excellent DVD-Audio performance is paramount and up-converting DVD video to 1080p is next in importance.  I have an excellent Denon UDP, but it doesn't do blu-ray.  I have a Sony blu-ray that is poor with DVD and can't play DVD-Audio.  Getting the best from both is awkward and I'm just about the only person that can make it work.  One good player would be easier and I can add 4k. 

I have been unsatisfied with my searches.  What do you have that you recommend? 

• Like 1

Haha; don't know how much you want to spend :D 

The Sony UBP-X800 is rated highly for both sound and video. Street price about $150, but no audio out, only HDMI.  Had one and thought it was pretty good. Sold it because I needed audio out to hook it up to a vintage system. (Sony also has an X1100 ? with audio out but it's about $600.) Do a little searching ... recall a discussion about players and JimJimbo (???) swears by a cheap $35 Sony :) 

Got an Oppo BDP-103 to replace the Sony and think it is excellent :D 

I have noticed that Sony X1100 and $600 is fine, but I wouldn't want to pay much more.  The question is, how good is it?  I'm a little spoiled with my Denon.  Amazon reviews show some issues with the Sony.  Apparently Denon hasn't made disc players in years.  Oppo has quit making players.  And I'm not in the mood for personal R&D. 

On 9/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, JohnA said:

I have noticed that Sony X1100 and $600 is fine, but I wouldn't want to pay much more.  The question is, how good is it?  I'm a little spoiled with my Denon.  Amazon reviews show some issues with the Sony.  Apparently Denon hasn't made disc players in years.  Oppo has quit making players.  And I'm not in the mood for personal R&D. 

The sony is very nice, loads way faster than the denon and marantz units.  I sold a bunch of the 1000's, almost the same thing.  

I have no experience with the Sony UBP-X1100ES, or the older model UBP--X1000ES.  (I own Oppo universal players:  UDP205 x 2, BDP-105, BDP-95.)   Note that these Sony units have analog audio connections for only 2 channels (i.e., they provide analog audio RCA connections for stereo, but not 5.1 or 7.1).   

FYI, if the UBP-X1000ES meets you needs, they are routinely available on eBay as "manufacturer refurbished" for $280.  I have no affiliation.    Just FYI ...

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 9/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, Emile said:

The Sony UBP-X800 is rated highly for both sound and video. Street price about $150, but no audio out, only HDMI.  Had one and thought it was pretty good. Sold it because I needed audio out to hook it up to a vintage system.

I have been using that model for about 2 years and no problems, does 4K well and the sound is better than the Pioneer I had that died, can't remember that model. Plus it streams well and plays any disc, DVD A and Superaudio CD's.

Yes only HDMI out or coax if that is a problem.

sony-ubp-x800-3.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a Sony UBP-1100es from Cory for a very nice price.  It is very good, converts DVDs to 1080p very well and, so far, plays all but my new Klipschtapes Vol 2 DVD-A.  😣  I need to test a few more discs, but it looks like I can drop to one disc player and simplify (mostly for my lady friend).  

Thanks for all your recommendations! 

• Like 1