Cornscala Type A Upgrade path recommendations

pioneerhip

1 minute ago, pioneerhip said:

I really like the color of my Focals. I have some stain that almost matches the color. I have decided to go with black on the front of them though. Here is apic of the Focals and a pic with the grills (no cloth) sat on the front lip of the Cornscalas. 

Focal.jpg

cornscala.jpg

well you are not going to be able to make your birch Cornwall's match the visual look of your Focal loudspeakers no matter how you stain them. Most times stains simply look wrong and it is my opinion that if you do not like the colour and or look of the veneer that you have then find a veneer that you do like. Staining veneer can work but it is very easy to get wrong, walnut stain on birch or red oak is a perfect example of stain gone very wrong and unfortunately you see these everywhere.

48 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

Anyone have a prefered place to buy the 120, or is there a better option before I purchase the 120 that someone might suggest?

The DE-120 might not bolt up to your existing horn, so you will want the CT-120 combo from Crites.

If you are serious about getting an active crossover, you should do that (active) first.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, moray james said:

well you are not going to be able to make your birch Cornwall's match the visual look of your Focal loudspeakers no matter how you stain them. Most times stains simply look wrong and it is my opinion that if you do not like the colour and or look of the veneer that you have then find a veneer that you do like. Staining veneer can work but it is very easy to get wrong, walnut stain on birch or red oak is a perfect example of stain gone very wrong and unfortunately you see these everywhere.

So Veneer make more sense if I am going for a certain look then, or accept the fact that staining them is really going to only do what the wood will allow. Any recommendations on purchasing veneer? Have a place you like to purchase veneer from?

10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The DE-120 might not bolt up to your existing horn, so you will want the CT-120 combo from Crites.

If you are serious about getting an active crossover, you should do that (active) first.

Well I may have jumped the gun on buying the crossovers already. I wasn't really thinking active crossovers when I purchased the Cornscalas, but knew I like the ALK crossover. Deposit sent to Al at ALk so no turning back there. Can the CT125 be adjusted in the active crossover to fix its problems? Is that why you say do it first? 

I have been reading up on the Xilica  and it seems like a route I'll look into after the ALK crossovers. 

2 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

So Veneer make more sense if I am going for a certain look then, or accept the fact that staining them is really going to only do what the wood will allow. Any recommendations on purchasing veneer? Have a place you like to purchase veneer from?

if you are going to veneer and you have never done any veneer work before you might want to consider having a pro do the job for you. If you want to try your hand at it perhaps it would be a good idea to hit the library and check out some books on the topic.

• Like 1

Another possible option considering your limited experience along with your desire to achieve a specific look is that of a plastic laminate. All you have to do is to choose a laminate cut the pieces oversized and apply with a water based latex contact I recommend LePages Press Tite Green.  You will need a router with a professional carbide trim bit with bearings. You will also need to practice on trial applications and trimming do not experiment/learn on your speakers! The tremendous up side is that once you have successfully applied your laminate you are done. You will have the exact look you desired and you will not have to learn how to finish. You will need to research the availability of these laminates in you local. I hope this offers you some fresh food for thought. Best of luck what ever you choose to do and please do post your results others will be very much interested in your outcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moray james said:

Another possible option considering your limited experience along with your desire to achieve a specific look is that of a plastic laminate. All you have to do is to choose a laminate cut the pieces oversized and apply with a water based latex contact I recommend LePages Press Tite Green.  You will need a router with a professional carbide trim bit with bearings. You will also need to practice on trial applications and trimming do not experiment/learn on your speakers! The tremendous up side is that once you have successfully applied your laminate you are done. You will have the exact look you desired and you will not have to learn how to finish. You will need to research the availability of these laminates in you local. I hope this offers you some fresh food for thought. Best of luck what ever you choose to do and please do post your results others will be very much interested in your outcome.

This is something I was unaware of. I'll look into it. as much as I want to be a DIY'er of sorts ultimately I only want to have to do the finish once. So with that said I am going to look into both options. Take it to a cabinet maker and have them add the veneer as well as the plastic laminate. The satisfaction of doing it myself would be so rewarding, but taking it to someone for the veneer would feel like a smart investment guaranteeing a successful outcome. I'll post pics for sure when I have made a decision. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far!

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:37 AM, moray james said:

no problem with this as a plan. What is it you are attempting to achieve? Personally I like birch without any artificial colour. Multiple diluted coats of boiled linseed oil then once you have achieved the colour you like top coat with a water based urethane. The birch will continue over the years to darken and will develop a fine looking patina. If you choose this method you do not need to use a sealer coat.

Klipsch Cornwall in raw birch.jpg

I like the look of these. What happens to the color the more coats of linseed oil you apply? Gets darker, more orange, etc?

Hi,

Even if I do not have the same Cornwall / Corscala as you, here are some ideas of what you could do to tighten the bass on your Cornscala = Cleats + butyl dampers + foams.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/186590-bc-de120-in-my-cornwall-iii/

The B & C DE120 or DE10 are a real improvement, asked Crites, ALK or Dave A to get one of these tweeters

😎

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, pioneerhip said:

I like the look of these. What happens to the color the more coats of linseed oil you apply? Gets darker, more orange, etc?

yes if you want to add some more colour you can coat with orange shellac violin makers use fine garnet powder mixed into shellac to add a brilliant red hue. As mentioned above coating with thinned coats of boiled linseed oil will seal the wood for you once set you can top coat with whatever you like. Each coat of thinned BLO will darken the wood color. But if you want patina to develop do not use a top coat that blocks UV. No UV no sun tan for your wood!

• Like 1