Cornscala Type A Upgrade path recommendations

pioneerhip

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Looks like oak but it isn't -- it's Ash. You don't lose a thing except the high cost. The money I save I give to a guy who cuts and finishes them for me.

I should  have recognised the ash considering how many electric guitars I've looked at over the years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deang said:

They call it "poor man's oak". It's very nice though. Looks great, drills out well, hold screws, doesn't split - hard to beat this stuff.

And, Ash makes for a great ️ bat as well.

Looking good Dean!

• Like 1

Well crossovers installed. I have somewhere between 10-15 hours on them. 1st I am a believer in breakin. They had a thick almost fuzzy sound initially. Then a thin sound after a few hours and now they have settled in to what I believe will be the final change/sound. Here is a quick comparison to the Crites and a picture side by side.

Keep in mind my room is small 11X12.5 and your room may change things, and Deang crossovers vs. Crites are not the same cost. 

The Crites - A bit forward sounding. At low volumes I like the Crites. Detailed but not warm. Good soundstage at low volume. When the volume is turned up some they are too in your face sounding for me. This may be due to the small room. I wish the bass was more present.

Deang crossovers- They are more balanced to me. At low volumes they are less detailed than I would like but just a small amount of volume and they really open up. Its nice to be able to really open the Cornscalas up and be able to enjoy them. I run my Cornscalas with a small B&W 10" sub. Previously the sub gain was at about 75% and now it is around 25%. While the bass is more pronounced, but the biggest gain here is the mids and highs. They are so smooth. The issue I have always had with horns is the harshness they can produce. I had it in the La Scalas before I sold them, and a little in the Cornscalas before the Deang crossovers. That is almost all but gone now. It's crazy to finally hear a horn and feel it has a smooth detailed sound. The music is more engaging now and I am starting to spend more time enjoying the music vs. picking out what needs to be changed. Happy with the purchase for sure.

It's good to have options on crossovers like this. I have ALK crossovers that should be here this week. 

I am running all tube gear in to them : Tube DAC 12AH7 - Tube Preamp 6SL7- Tube Amp KT88,12AU7,12AT7

20191109_151320.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'll bet that your Deang crossovers will sound even better with more breakin time, say 100 hours.  Waiting to hear your comparison to the ALK crossover.  Also, are you running your sub off the sub-out on your preamp?
It's crazy hearing them break in. ALK networks should be here Thursday. I'll get to mess with them this weekend.

Im running my sub off of one of the 3 outputs on my preamp. It's not a dedicated subout. Its full signal out to the sub.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Break in for a metallized capacitor makes sense, but not for a film and foil, but I guess anything is possible. I was once told by the folks at Reliable Capacitor that "anything a capacitor is going to do, it's done doing within 20 hours."

• Like 1

I submit my humble advise: Whatever you do, DON'T do A/B/C comparisons. It doesn't work. You will hear next to no difference. Or you will convince yourself of differences that may or may not be there. It makes listening not fun and it is a recipe for listening fatigue. Your brain is designed to hear similarities, not differences. A/B testing only works for obvious differences. You have to give the brain time to hear the individual, unique subtleties of each crossover.

Do this: Listen to one set of crossovers for a while, many days or even weeks. Make notes of the things that stand out to you, good and bad. Highlight the specific qualities that you keep hearing (Brassy high frequency shimmers, convolution of s, p and t, etc). Make specific mentions of passages in songs so you can go back to them with the next test. Then do the same for the other crossovers. Then compare notes. You'll probably notice only a couple things that you found unique to each crossover. This is a true comparison.

And keep in mind, a moved piece of furniture can make more sound difference than a different crossover, so be mindful of your surroundings.

Submitted with humility.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

I submit my humble advise: Whatever you do, DON'T do A/B/C comparisons. It doesn't work. You will hear next to no difference. Or you will convince yourself of differences that may or may not be there. It makes listening not fun and it is a recipe for listening fatigue. Your brain is designed to hear similarities, not differences. A/B testing only works for obvious differences. You have to give the brain time to hear the individual, unique subtleties of each crossover.

Do this: Listen to one set of crossovers for a while, many days or even weeks. Make notes of the things that stand out to you, good and bad. Highlight the specific qualities that you keep hearing (Brassy high frequency simmers, convolution of s, p and t, etc). Make specific mentions of passages in songs so you can go back to them with the next test. Then do the same for the other crossovers. Then compare notes. You'll probably notice only a couple things that you found unique to each crossover. This is a true comparison.

And keep in mind, a moved piece of furniture can make more sound difference than a different crossover, so be mindful of your surroundings.

Submitted with humility.

I am running tube gear so evaluations are done over a period of time vs swapping crossovers every 5 minutes. I take notes on songs that do things right and do things wrong and then repeat for the other crossover on a different night. Then compare notes. 

These 3 crossovers are different enough in parts and design that the sound signatures of each network is pretty obvious, but I expected that. The only way they should sound the same is if all 3 of them are the same exact networks with the same exact parts, but with different fancy names on each one. Like CornScal-Wall, or Dean's funky fresh networks, or Crites Cosmic Crossover (also known as the CCC Network) :) @Deang @BEC you guys are welcome for the names to your newest networks.

I am a believer in rooms and its contents absolutely make a difference.