Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
pioneerhip

Cornscala Type A Upgrade path recommendations

Recommended Posts

I really like the color of my Focals. I have some stain that almost matches the color. I have decided to go with black on the front of them though. Here is apic of the Focals and a pic with the grills (no cloth) sat on the front lip of the Cornscalas. 

Focal.jpg

cornscala.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pioneerhip said:

I really like the color of my Focals. I have some stain that almost matches the color. I have decided to go with black on the front of them though. Here is apic of the Focals and a pic with the grills (no cloth) sat on the front lip of the Cornscalas. 

Focal.jpg

cornscala.jpg

well you are not going to be able to make your birch Cornwall's match the visual look of your Focal loudspeakers no matter how you stain them. Most times stains simply look wrong and it is my opinion that if you do not like the colour and or look of the veneer that you have then find a veneer that you do like. Staining veneer can work but it is very easy to get wrong, walnut stain on birch or red oak is a perfect example of stain gone very wrong and unfortunately you see these everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

Anyone have a prefered place to buy the 120, or is there a better option before I purchase the 120 that someone might suggest?

 

The DE-120 might not bolt up to your existing horn, so you will want the CT-120 combo from Crites.

 

If you are serious about getting an active crossover, you should do that (active) first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, moray james said:

well you are not going to be able to make your birch Cornwall's match the visual look of your Focal loudspeakers no matter how you stain them. Most times stains simply look wrong and it is my opinion that if you do not like the colour and or look of the veneer that you have then find a veneer that you do like. Staining veneer can work but it is very easy to get wrong, walnut stain on birch or red oak is a perfect example of stain gone very wrong and unfortunately you see these everywhere.

 

So Veneer make more sense if I am going for a certain look then, or accept the fact that staining them is really going to only do what the wood will allow. Any recommendations on purchasing veneer? Have a place you like to purchase veneer from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

 

The DE-120 might not bolt up to your existing horn, so you will want the CT-120 combo from Crites.

 

If you are serious about getting an active crossover, you should do that (active) first.

Well I may have jumped the gun on buying the crossovers already. I wasn't really thinking active crossovers when I purchased the Cornscalas, but knew I like the ALK crossover. Deposit sent to Al at ALk so no turning back there. Can the CT125 be adjusted in the active crossover to fix its problems? Is that why you say do it first? 

 

I have been reading up on the Xilica  and it seems like a route I'll look into after the ALK crossovers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pioneerhip said:

 

So Veneer make more sense if I am going for a certain look then, or accept the fact that staining them is really going to only do what the wood will allow. Any recommendations on purchasing veneer? Have a place you like to purchase veneer from?

if you are going to veneer and you have never done any veneer work before you might want to consider having a pro do the job for you. If you want to try your hand at it perhaps it would be a good idea to hit the library and check out some books on the topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 8:24 AM, pioneerhip said:

ALK crossovers are ordered.

 

On 9/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, pioneerhip said:

Talking active crossovers---

 

The passive crossovers you ordered just might give you the sound you want, so you should wait for that before changing the tweeters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another possible option considering your limited experience along with your desire to achieve a specific look is that of a plastic laminate. All you have to do is to choose a laminate cut the pieces oversized and apply with a water based latex contact I recommend LePages Press Tite Green.  You will need a router with a professional carbide trim bit with bearings. You will also need to practice on trial applications and trimming do not experiment/learn on your speakers! The tremendous up side is that once you have successfully applied your laminate you are done. You will have the exact look you desired and you will not have to learn how to finish. You will need to research the availability of these laminates in you local. I hope this offers you some fresh food for thought. Best of luck what ever you choose to do and please do post your results others will be very much interested in your outcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, moray james said:

Another possible option considering your limited experience along with your desire to achieve a specific look is that of a plastic laminate. All you have to do is to choose a laminate cut the pieces oversized and apply with a water based latex contact I recommend LePages Press Tite Green.  You will need a router with a professional carbide trim bit with bearings. You will also need to practice on trial applications and trimming do not experiment/learn on your speakers! The tremendous up side is that once you have successfully applied your laminate you are done. You will have the exact look you desired and you will not have to learn how to finish. You will need to research the availability of these laminates in you local. I hope this offers you some fresh food for thought. Best of luck what ever you choose to do and please do post your results others will be very much interested in your outcome.

 

This is something I was unaware of. I'll look into it. as much as I want to be a DIY'er of sorts ultimately I only want to have to do the finish once. So with that said I am going to look into both options. Take it to a cabinet maker and have them add the veneer as well as the plastic laminate. The satisfaction of doing it myself would be so rewarding, but taking it to someone for the veneer would feel like a smart investment guaranteeing a successful outcome. I'll post pics for sure when I have made a decision. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...