Jump to content

Will a separate ss amp bring up the volume for the bass driver front speakers?


StratCountry
 Share

Recommended Posts

My Chorus ii speakers are connected to my Marantz SR-7011 receiver. The bass level on these speakers have always been too low for me unless I would turn the receiver volume up quite high to a level that my ears are getting stressed out from the mids & treble drivers, before I can feel the bass pulsing through my chest. Otherwise, the speakers sound great at all levels!

My question, if I ran my fronts from the receiver’s preamps to a separate Marantz amplifier, possibly the Marantz MM-7025, would this be a great benefit of increasing the bass volume? The bass frequency of the Chorus ii goes down to 38hz which is fine for me, I only need a way to bring up the volume of the bass drivers.

I previously had the speakers connected to my old Marantz SR-18, which I had the same problem with bass volume.

My living room size is 15’ x 18’ x 7’10” high with an opening to my kitchen, 4’ wide to ceiling height, sheet rocked with solid oak flooring.

I prefer to listen to music levels low to medium.

If a separate amp would produce a big difference in bass volume, then my budget would have to be $800- $1200. I would like to stay with the Marantz brand since I have owned that brand for over 40 years.

If there was a way to bi-amp my Chorus ii’s, I would go that route since my SR-7011 has quite a few flexible options including adjusting the crossovers within the receiver. Thanks.99687568_20190912_1503122.thumb.jpg.d27f0b2180b57221012f6d6355f210dd.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Is your receiver's front speaker setting  set to full range? 

I also have Chorus II and a characteristic of the speaker is extremely clean bass that is not at all boomy, has no mid bass hump that I notice, and as you know a prominent midrange. Your receiver has more an enough power @ 125 wpc so a more powerful amp may or may not improve bass output. Do you have or have you considered a subwoofer?  That may give you more of what you are looking for in bass output. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, moray james said:

some amps are just better at bass than others are. If you want more output then a new woofer and a vent will make your Heresy make more bass but they will not play much lower than they already do. threads in the archives on reflex loading your Heresy.

 

They are Chorus IIs not Heresy

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off I would move the speakers away from the rear and side walls. They need at lest 18” from the rear wall. Just from my experience you need to do what’s called to crawl method where are you crawl and moving around until you find a much better low-frequency sound if you’re getting too much made in high frequencies from the horns you can use some very soft fluffy poly fill Or cotton and gently inserted into the horn ,do not shove it into it in that will help soften and smooth the high frequencies and also the mid range


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Source material can make a difference in the bass department.   The lossless quality streaming, CD etc is what I am generally referring to.  I don't have anything that plays albums so I have no idea about that.   Adding an amp for low level listening may not do what your wanting.  I run a SR5011 and a Bluesound Node 2I.  My Cornwall 3s really started to shine after i added the lossless music.   I am in agreement with previous posters about placement and Subwoofers.   

Buy a sub that you can return..... Try it and see if that gets you what you are looking for.  

Almost forgot...... your receiver has an EQ...  Try playing around with that..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, S2Wheels said:

Source material can make a difference in the bass department.   The lossless quality streaming, CD etc is what I am generally referring to.  I don't have anything that plays albums so I have no idea about that.   Adding an amp for low level listening may not do what your wanting.  I run a SR5011 and a Bluesound Node 2I.  My Cornwall 3s really started to shine after i added the lossless music.   I am in agreement with previous posters about placement and Subwoofers.   

Buy a sub that you can return..... Try it and see if that gets you what you are looking for.  

Almost forgot...... your receiver has an EQ...  Try playing around with that..  

For my source material, I play cd's, mostly all country music. I know many cd recordings are bad and country songs recordings usually  don't have very low frequencies in them.

I stay away from streaming music most of the time and rarely listen to mp3's..

I have repositioned the speakers several different ways including various toe-in angles all at the current end of the room with no avail. I strongly prefer to keep my current a/v placement .

My current SVS SB-2000 helped some the last 2 years but where My listening area is, there is a strong dead bass area there, everywhere else including the kitchen, the bass is good, this is with the subwoofer bass, the front speakers bass was pretty low throughout the room, I did try the Subwoofers placement but generally in the same end of the room.

For the internal graphic equalizer and a couple other bass settings within the receiver, are all set to maximum and all speakers set to full range.

Maybe this brand and model receiver isn't a very good match for the Chorus II'S..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, StratCountry said:

For my source material, I play cd's, mostly all country music. I know many cd recordings are bad and country songs recordings usually  don't have very low frequencies in them.

I stay away from streaming music most of the time and rarely listen to mp3's..

I have repositioned the speakers several different ways including various toe-in angles all at the current end of the room with no avail. I strongly prefer to keep my current a/v placement .

My current SVS SB-2000 helped some the last 2 years but where My listening area is, there is a strong dead bass area there, everywhere else including the kitchen, the bass is good, this is with the subwoofer bass, the front speakers bass was pretty low throughout the room, I did try the Subwoofers placement but generally in the same end of the room.

For the internal graphic equalizer and a couple other bass settings within the receiver, are all set to maximum and all speakers set to full range.

Maybe this brand and model receiver isn't a very good match for the Chorus II'S..

Sounds like it could be a room issue. Bass traps made a huge difference in my room that also sucks the life out of certain frequencies. I have two GIK corner traps behind my Chorus and although it seems counterintuitive to have a rear passive radiator firing into a bass trap, it makes a difference. Before the GIK I used ASC tube traps and they were also very effective. The ASC are very expensive but I bought them used and sold them when I found a pair of GIK locally very cheap. A lot of people build their own. It may be worth considering. I'll take a picture and add it too the post.

image.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, veloceleste said:

Hi, Is your receiver's front speaker setting  set to full range? 

I also have Chorus II and a characteristic of the speaker is extremely clean bass that is not at all boomy, has no mid bass hump that I notice, and as you know a prominent midrange. Your receiver has more an enough power @ 125 wpc so a more powerful amp may or may not improve bass output. Do you have or have you considered a subwoofer?  That may give you more of what you are looking for in bass output. 

All the drivers in the Chorus II's sound great,  just unable to make the bass driver play louder.

New Bob Crites crossovers were installed by the previous owner a few years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

Sounds like it could be a room issue. Bass traps made a huge difference in my room that also sucks the life out of certain frequencies. I have two GIK corner traps behind my Chorus and although it seems counterintuitive to have a rear passive radiator firing into a bass trap, it makes a difference. Before the GIK I used ASC tube traps and they were also very effective. The ASC are very expensive but I bought them used and sold them when I found a pair of GIK locally very cheap. A lot of people build their own. It may be worth considering. I'll take a picture and add it too the post.

image.jpeg

I guess I'm not too familiar with bass traps or bass mats,  I'll have to do some reading there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, moray james said:

oops! my bad. Thanks for catching my error Bruce. Some folks find that a few hundred watts per channel will bring a Chorus ll to life the OP could rent a big pro amp for a day and see for himself if that does the trick.

Not sure I want to go that route. It's very loud at a 3rd up or slightly more on my volume, referring to the mid & highs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, moray james said:

oops! my bad. Thanks for catching my error Bruce. Some folks find that a few hundred watts per channel will bring a Chorus ll to life the OP could rent a big pro amp for a day and see for himself if that does the trick.

Seeing as the ChII is not bass shy, may as well get a test done, just to bypass the Marantz...as a reference...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...