Jump to content

Will a separate ss amp bring up the volume for the bass driver front speakers?


StratCountry
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

 

You have standing waves that are cancelling the bass. You need to change something about the relationship between the speakers and the shape of the room.

 

This is my listening area, about 14 feet from the A/V center.

I'll work on the suggestions today & tomorrow that were given in all the previous posts.

 

 

20190913_133457[1] 2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

 

You have standing waves that are cancelling the bass. You need to change something about the relationship between the speakers and the shape of the room.

+1 to what Shiva and Khornukopia said. It sounds like you're sitting in a bass null area. Speaker as well as listening seat position can go a long way to fix the problem. As stated before, with bass heavy music playing (I usually find a part of piece of music that has this quality and put my CD player on a-b repeat of the passage)  move around the room until find the spot with more bass. This may seem silly, but do you have an office chair with wheels that won't scratch your nice floors where you can scoot around the room while seated to do this?  This will keep your ears closer to listening height. Sometimes the nulls and peaks are present  at different heights also. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

+1 to what Shiva and Khornukopia said. It sounds like you're sitting in a bass null area. Speaker as well as listening seat position can go a long way to fix the problem. As stated before, with bass heavy music playing (I usually find a part of piece of music that has this quality and put my CD player on a-b repeat of the passage)  move around the room until find the spot with more bass. This may seem silly, but do you have an office chair with wheels that won't scratch your nice floors where you can scoot around the room while seated to do this?  This will keep your ears closer to listening height. Sometimes the nulls and peaks are present  at different heights also. 

 

The bass is always the strongest just before entering kitchen and next to door on right of the picture.

I'll work on many of the suggestions over the weekend, but first will be taking a look inside my speaker cabinets for the first time, to check polarity connections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, StratCountry said:

I'll work on many of the suggestions over the weekend, but first will be taking a look inside my speaker cabinets for the first time, to check polarity connections.

 

I wondered about your polarity earlier, but the way you further describe the condition, it is most likely a room mode bass null at your listening position. I suggest you start by placing the speakers up on tables or chairs and listening with Audyssey turned OFF.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, StratCountry said:

 

The bass is always the strongest just before entering kitchen and next to door on right of the picture.

I'll work on many of the suggestions over the weekend, but first will be taking a look inside my speaker cabinets for the first time, to check polarity connections.

 

If you are running a sub in the system try positioning the sub there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's still not cooperating, with the speaker on its side, remove the six screws from the terminal cup and carefully pull the cup out and let it hang.  There should be  a little slack in the wires. Reach in with your fingers until you feel a part of the woofer basket and give it a little push out on the basket, not the cone,  ready to catch it as it pops out.  I just did this a little while ago when I installed Crites crossovers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jason str said:

Unhook it and lay a large towel on the floor and prop it up at a 45 degree angle and try again as the gasket may have gummed up over the years.

 

I tilted it to almost 45 degree forward until I felt the speaker cabinet slipping on the floor. I'll have to til wait this weekend and have someone help me tip it forward farther. I hate to have things go wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, veloceleste said:

If it's still not cooperating, with the speaker on its side, remove the six screws from the terminal cup and carefully pull the cup out and let it hang.  There should be  a little slack in the wires. Reach in with your fingers until you feel a part of the woofer basket and give it a little push out on the basket, not the cone,  ready to catch it as it pops out.  I just did this a little while ago when I installed Crites crossovers. 

Not sure what you mean about 6 screws holding terminal cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StratCountry said:

sounds great as is except for the bass null while sitting in my easy chair.

It sounds like you've got the null thing nailed.  That's what it sounds like to me, too.

 

If you haven't moved the speakers yet that may be your best bet to deal with that null.

 

Something else you might do because it costs you nothing to try:  Try using Double-bass.  See if that smooths out the null.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, StratCountry said:

Not sure what you mean about 6 screws holding terminal cap.

 

I removed the speaker terminal box and was able to push out the speaker which took quite a bit of force to pop it out.

Connections are correct.

Seems like their should be more foam inside the cabinet, only on one side which is 1 inch thick? Everywhere else is bare?

Could this contribute to the bass issue?

 

Speaker 2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, StratCountry said:

 

I removed the speaker terminal box and was able to push out the speaker which took quite a bit of force to pop it out.

Connections are correct.

Seems like their should be more foam inside the cabinet, only on one side which is 1 inch thick? Everywhere else is bare?

Could this contribute to the bass issue?

 

 

 

No, there was minimal foam to begin with.

 

If i recall that foam pad was U shaped on the bottom of the cabinet, it was probably moved to install the crossover there.

 

Nothing to worry about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, StratCountry said:

 

This is my listening area, about 14 feet from the A/V center.

I'll work on the suggestions today & tomorrow that were given in all the previous posts.

 

 

20190913_133457[1] 2.jpg

Just for fun mind you, as an experiment,  put the sub in place of the lamp table.   Put the lamp and anything else that will fit back  on top and play some tunes. Or put the sub in place of the teddy bear bench 🐻, then test. That could be a good perch as well. 😀  Or put it right by your chair and see if you can turn that chair into a massager.👍  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny thing, after I put everything back together and torqued all the screws a bit extra, the bass is now more pronounced! Even while sitting in my recliner.  This without the sub on, probably no longer need it.

Before, the volume had to be up between 40 and 50 to get my pant legs to ruffle, 50 was the max my ears could take unless out on the deck. Now, volume at 25 , I can feel the rumble throughout my body which is more of a comfortable listening level.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, StratCountry said:

... as well as the phase shift adjustment. 

Polarities are correct....

 

The adjustment often marked "phase" on a  subwoofer -- a two position switch -- is typically just polarity. 

 

The multipath problems that can occur with a sub and a main, with the main set to "Large" and the sub working (usually requiring something like "LFE + Main," another misnomer) can take the form of valleys or peaks and valleys.  In some rooms, with some positions, no problem.  I've tried both, and although it is no big deal with my set-up, I eventually decided on "Small" for a bit of extra clarity that may be illusory.  

 

If you get a second sub, it should be identical to your present one because if you want to use Audyssey (and I think you probably should) when Audyssey scopes out your F3 for each sub, it will limit correction to above the F3 of the inferior sub (unless they have changed that feature).   Mike's Guide should help here -- see the Table of Contents -- I think you want VIII--C.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Just for fun mind you, as an experiment,  put the sub in place of the lamp table.   Put the lamp and anything else that will fit back  on top and play some tunes. Or put the sub in place of the teddy bear bench 🐻, then test. That could be a good perch as well. 😀  Or put it right by your chair and see if you can turn that chair into a massager.👍  

 

The front speaker bass issue seems to be solved.

If I still have the null in my chair using the sub, I'll move the sub around, but not til tomorrow. I have enough bass now. I'll probably move the sub next tmy recliner, always wanted 2nd table by my chair. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...