Vintage LaScala VS KI-396

Jvitti1970

Presently own a pair of 1976 LaScala’s. Debating on whether to do a full restore networks  and all drivers or selling them original and getting a pair of 396

Both speakers are at their best with a sub.

My question is for people that own both or have had the opportunity to listen extensively to both.

how does the 510 horn and compression driver in the 396 sound compared to the vintage LS mid and tweeter? 

thanks guys!

The 510 on the LaScala beats the pants off the stock horns/drivers on the LaScala (my opinion)

The 402 on the LaScala beats the pants off the 510 on the LaScala

Theme?  Larger horns are going to sound better and both, the 510 and 402 are good sounding, large horns.

I would expect the bass to be less distorted on the LaScala since it's horn loaded.

• Like 1

Any driver on the La Scala's K-400 horn (being an approx. 7/8 inch throat) will be pretty easy to cause the horn to overload. The K-400 horn is not a bad horn at all, but the K-510 is years ahead. I still like the horn loaded bass of the LS, but would love to have a pair of the KI-396.

14 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@CECAA850  which sound do you prefer?

restored LaScala’s with new Crites drivers or the 396’s 

Sound is subjective and you should never make a purchasing decision based on someone else's ears.  I like them both BUT they're different.  For quieter listening I like the Lascalas,  when I want to get stupid loud I prefer the 396's.  I can't really ever envision getting rid of either pair.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:26 PM, CECAA850 said:

I like them both BUT they're different.  For quieter listening I like the Lascalas,  when I want to get stupid loud I prefer the 396's. 

I 100% agree with this. The louder the 396s get, the more I like them. I did not like them at lower listening levels (this will be the new norm for me for the next few years).  As such, I sold the 396s and bought 362 IIs.  They are also not fantastic low level speakers by any means, but they do much better than the 396s at low levels.   Bass is very tight and snappy, still needs a sub IMO.  The LA scalas didn't sound good in my room.  I strongly feel they need more distance apart than I could offer. They sounded so much better outside than in the listening room. Of course, the LA scala would be the low level listening king.  For mid to higher level listening, I would strongly prefer the 396s over LA scalas.   Imaging, top to bottom balance, insane clarity and dynamics as volume goes up.   Again, this was in my room, with my gear.   I wish my room were larger, I'm sure the LA scalas would sound fantastic and likely be keepers for me.   The direct radiator on the 396s is very clean, but I would also give a knod to the LA scala (lightening quick by comparison).   However, that being said, I prefer the bass of the 396 for my listening habits.   

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, jimjimbo said:

LSIs, and especially LSI splits (which Carl is working on), are definitely not the same as regular consumer La Scalas.  I have and have owned multiple pairs of both.  You can find the specs and configurations on line.

Absolutely and I prefer the LSI's by far. Fiddling with eliminating side wall resonance with LSI's and I have tried two things. One is with the one piece I stuck braces in there between the dog house and sides and it make a big improvent. If you have a two piece what I have done is to beat the sides off and replace with 25mm Baltic Birch. Then make a new top horn section with the K-400 and K-55-V and a set of large MAHL's with the DE10 and it becomes a whole new world.

You do nothing at all to LSI's but recap the crossovers and they are still much better than stock La Scalas with recapped crossovers. Two piece LSI's are the very best thing you can get to make huge improvements in what you hear.

30 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I 100% agree with this. The louder the 396s get, the more I like them. I did not like them at lower listening levels (this will be the new norm for me for the next few years).  As such, I sold the 396s and bought 362 IIs.  They are also not fantastic low level speakers by any means, but they do much better than the 396s at low levels.   Bass is very tight and snappy, still needs a sub IMO.  The LA scalas didn't sound good in my room.  I strongly feel they need more distance apart than I could offer. They sounded so much better outside than in the listening room. Of course, the LA scala would be the low level listening king.  For mid to higher level listening, I would strongly prefer the 396s over LA scalas.   Imaging, top to bottom balance, insane clarity and dynamics as volume goes up.   Again, this was in my room, with my gear.   I wish my room were larger, I'm sure the LA scalas would sound fantastic and likely be keepers for me.   The direct radiator on the 396s is very clean, but I would also give a knod to the LA scala (lightening quick by comparison).   However, that being said, I prefer the bass of the 396 for my listening habits.   

If you ever get La Scalas again try a mid brace in there. At higher volumes eliminating the resonance does not give you more bass but what is there becomes crystal clear and dramatically better when the resonance is gone.

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

If you ever get La Scalas again try a mid brace in there. At higher volumes eliminating the resonance does not give you more bass but what is there becomes crystal clear and dramatically better when the resonance is gone.

No more LA scalas for me.   Very hard to find in my neck of the woods, two pair didn't sound good in my room (Justin's hypermodified pair and recapped originals).  I also didn't like khorns in my room. Seems Cornwall or smaller is the way to go.   Seating is in a fixed position unfortunalty (against the rear wall and nothing I can do about that...).  Effortless is the best word to describe 396s. Not that you couldn't say that about LA scalas, but the mid and top I end is just incredible as the volume increases...

26 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Absolutely and I prefer the LSI's by far. Fiddling with eliminating side wall resonance with LSI's and I have tried two things. One is with the one piece I stuck braces in there between the dog house and sides and it make a big improvent. If you have a two piece what I have done is to beat the sides off and replace with 25mm Baltic Birch. Then make a new top horn section with the K-400 and K-55-V and a set of large MAHL's with the DE10 and it becomes a whole new world.

You do nothing at all to LSI's but recap the crossovers and they are still much better than stock La Scalas with recapped crossovers. Two piece LSI's are the very best thing you can get to make huge improvements in what you hear.

I have my 1976 home versions up for sale right now. Not getting too many bites. Looks like instead of getting the KI-396’s i will be going with a dull restore of the LaScala’s 

48 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No more LA scalas for me.   Very hard to find in my neck of the woods, two pair didn't sound good in my room (Justin's hypermodified pair and recapped originals).  I also didn't like khorns in my room. Seems Cornwall or smaller is the way to go.   Seating is in a fixed position unfortunalty (against the rear wall and nothing I can do about that...).  Effortless is the best word to describe 396s. Not that you couldn't say that about LA scalas, but the mid and top I end is just incredible as the volume increases...

Well you know me and pro gear is the best way to go as far as I am concerned. I have been having great success making La Scalas sound much better though and what you can do with a two piece LSI is create something really nice just not super deep bass. I mean sound nice in the same room next to the Super MWM's. They make great book shelf speakers:D

• Haha 1