Vintage LaScala VS KI-396

Jvitti1970

The KI-396 has some fast hard hitting bass.  Very surprising.  I've had la scala I and II.  Sure  on this forum...."we" are gonna say the horn loaded bass sounds better.   You should hear for yourself if you can.

9 minutes ago, jwc said:

The KI-396 has some fast hard hitting bass.  Very surprising.  I've had la scala I and II.  Sure  on this forum...."we" are gonna say the horn loaded bass sounds better.   You should hear for yourself if you can.

I am shocked that you would say I have a horn bias. Working on a project I might bring to Hope that would dispel that idea though.

Hearing is best but they don't exactly give those 396's away so for many that is not an option.

22 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I am shocked that you would say I have a horn bias. Working on a project I might bring to Hope that would dispel that idea though.

Hearing is best but they don't exactly give those 396's away so for many that is not an option.

I wasnt referencing you.....  " the forum".

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Westcoastdrums  thoughts on modifying the home version vintage LS

@jimjimbo  has given me some great info and id like to pick your brain as well

Do it! Mod the LA scalas.  Damn hard to beat for little the minimal investment (assuming you have a pair of can get a pair for a reasonable price).   Pro speakers sound great but are ugly and certainly aren't for everyone.   Good luck on your quest.   

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I actually have everything to do that other than a mini dsp.

Sooooooooo, if you're needing a crossover of some sort....  I have an extra DX38 stuffed into my closet that could be shipped to you so you could try things out.

7 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I 100% agree with this. The louder the 396s get, the more I like them. I did not like them at lower listening levels  As such, I sold the 396s and bought 362 IIs.  They are also not fantastic low level speakers by any means, but they do much better than the 396s at low levels.  

Interesting.. so you actually like the 362's better than the 396's? I imagine bass should be the same between the two.

6 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Interesting.. so you actually like the 362's better than the 396's? I imagine bass should be the same between the two.

At low volumes yes, above that, no.   Bass is identical given very similar cabinet dimensions and the same woofer.   396 is superior, don't hear me wrong, but I'm having a newborn in a couple months so.... 

Regarding the 'bark' of the 396, the last time I was in Hope, Roy had them outside.  They were sitting on top of his new creations.  Music was playing and we heard them from a distance.

On my initial hearing, I (mistakenly) thought the LARGER boxes were playing when in fact, it was the 396's.  It was really a fantastic showing for them.  You can see them sitting on top of the big boys (on the far right)

396.jpg

On 9/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, Jvitti1970 said:

I have my 1976 home versions up for sale right now. Not getting too many bites. Looks like instead of getting the KI-396’s i will be going with a dull restore of the LaScala’s 

Put some work and good drivers in them and they won’t be dull anymore. 

On 9/13/2019 at 6:50 AM, Jvitti1970 said:

Presently own a pair of 1976 LaScala’s. Debating on whether to do a full restore networks  and all drivers or selling them original and getting a pair of 396

Both speakers are at their best with a sub.

My question is for people that own both or have had the opportunity to listen extensively to both.

how does the 510 horn and compression driver in the 396 sound compared to the vintage LS mid and tweeter? 

thanks guys!

Well I veneered the outside of mine and before I put the veneer on I put some screws in the joints also. That eliminated all fluctuation of side walls. Before I cloud make side walls move with just my hands. Now I can put knee and both hands on other side and not hardly make them move. Wished I had video it but I didn't. I can video the way they are now if someone wants video a stock pair flexing. 

I know before they flexed pretty easily mine are from 1980. IMAG0326.thumb.jpg.378b4f01182745aa65692cb92cab1556.jpg

• Like 1