Question about these (darn) robo-callers...

Coytee

I keep getting these "we've been trying to reach you about your car's guarantee....  if you want to speak to us about your car's guarantee, dial 1..."

"If you want to be put on the do not call list, hit #2"

I used to hit #2 presuming they'd have at least one ounce of integrity but alas... either I'm wrong, there are more of them than I'm aware or both.

Plan 2, go ahead & hit "1" and just draggggggggggggggggggggggg out their phone call.  I have to presume they are on a call quota and or sales quota so if I can slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww it down some, it will hit them in the pocket (or so I hope?)

After a certain amount of getting into the conversation 

"what make/year car do you have"  (I make something up)

"what are its miles?"  (make something up)

They may start to ask something else and I'll interrupt them to go back to the car, ask them something about my wife's car (which could be another potential sale) and all the sudden SILENCE.

They've disconnected me.

Happens every time and just now happened again.

I'm dumbfounded.  Yeah I'm telling fibs and yeah, they might be sensitive to that but, I've got over 30 years of yacking on the phone with people so I'd (like to) think that I'm decent on reading them and/or carrying on a bit of a false conversation yet, EVERY TIME I get disconnected.  Even before their true sales pitch...just in the info gathering stage.

I wonder if the calls are monitored (most likely, they are at least, recorded)  Could some software discern decption in my voice and disconnect to let them speed on?

Is this a ruse for something totally different and they have my number now that I spoke with them?  (I don't mean they have my phone number as they just called me, I mean they "have my number" as in they have my reality figured out.

It really does dumbfound me and in a sense, takes away a bit of a chuckle for me as I'll get them at various times.  If I'm in my car or something where I have time to talk / mess to/with them....  I look forward to the banter but, they "win" because they get to hang up on me in the middle of the conversation....sometimes, even while they are speaking (which is why I'm wondering if it's monitored and a higher force is disconnecting them)

Any thoughts??

I get those too and like to string them along as much as possible.  They say that my warranty is getting ready to expire on my vehicle.  Sometimes I'll ask them which vehicle.  Sometimes I'll string them along and then tell them I ride a bicycle.  I kept one guy on for a while that wanted to remodel my bathroom.  We were even still talking when I told him that I lived in a travel trailer.  He hung up on me when I finally told him that my wife makes all major decisions and he'd have to call back.

• Haha 1

It's more about phishing than anything else.  They want to take advantage of someone.  If you sound competent, you are not a target.  Personally, I don't even want the pleasure of messing with them, so I let the machine have it.  When you haven't owned a car with a warranty in 30 years, you know it's a scam.

Some of these come in on my work phone....  I specifically cover nine counties in the state but, am available to another 30 or so (never counted)

Basically a vertical line drawn from Crossville north/south and everything east of that.  I cover nine of those but if someone else that covers other counties is not available, I might (and have been) asked to cover an event.

So I might get numbers I don't recognize but, my employer wouldn't appreciate me hanging up on people calling in for help so I'm a bit in a quandry with the work phone.

Not like you're thinking.

Couple years ago after I moved back from Florida.... then got downsized when TD Ameritrade bought Scottrade.....

I went to work for Empower.  You will now see Empower's name as Denver Bronco's stadium name.  

Anyway,  I help State (of TN) or county employees with the State of TN retirement system....both on the pension side and on the 401/457 side.

So I'm not "selling" anything today but rather acting more in an advisory capacity.  I don't make any commissions.  It's more about educating them before they enter the retirement system.....helping them while they are in the system and then help them exit the system upon retirement.

In fact, one day a week, I spend in our local office specifically to review things with people that are knocking on the door of retirement.  Help them get things lined up, explain how to start their pension & some of the do's/don'ts regarding working part time after retirement, then also the 401.

We are fantastic neighbors to have at the office building....  I am there one day out of the week and another guy is there for 1/2 of a day.  The rest of the time the place is empty and quiet as a mouse while we are all driving around our territory.

<shrugs shoulders>

It is what it is.  I understand that there have been some issues at that stadium.  (none I can detail and I just recently read about them)

Our HQ happens to be located in Denver so the HQ folks are looking at this as getting the name out.

I just hope I don't have to root for them when they play Cincinnati...

• Haha 1

Uh oh....  seems "Jenny" has the goods on me....  anyone have a closet I can use to hide in?

Now that I think about it....  I must be hanging around some nefarious people lately....

Hmmm....  There seem to be a couple nefarious people around here, no?

The shock and awe with below is.....  I don't have a microphone hooked to my pc....  I don't have a camera hooked to my pc, this gal must be GOOD to get me on audio/video!!

Ultimately, the joke's on her as I always use the right side of the screen when I'm satisfying myself, I never use the left side.  Sheesh. :blink:

Hello!

I am a hacker who has access to your operating system.

I also have full access to your account.

I've been watching you for a few months now.

The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.

Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.

This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?

Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.

With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.

I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,

transfer the amount of $500 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin").

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is:  32aweBbUqTZCkRBTG1kYH3VAcqvKnQ71re

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.

I give you 50 hours (more than 2 days) to pay.

I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.

I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best regards!

Jenny

When they ask if I'm interested in ------, I ask if they are selling the car warrantee, zero interest credit, too and where is Karen?. She keeps calling.

I keep thinking there is or should or can be a way to "interrupt" their dialing system.

tbh

I don't think it matter whether you pick up the phone or not. The systems dial every number.