Over Air TV Antenna Positioning. Whos up to snuff

joessportster

I have used Over Air Only TV for a few years now. Recently there was apparently Govt. Mandated upgrading to the signaling.  B-4 The Upgrade we were getting ABC, CBS, CW, PBS, & Fox Around 20 channels.

Now We barely get CBS, PBS, & Fox (Some of which come & go)

Looking on the WEB I found a site  ( https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html )  I enter my ZIP and it tells me all the stations within a 65 mile range and the direction in degrees that they are from my ZIP.

What I am not clear on is,  Are the degrees stated such as 155.39 degrees a direction the signal is being sent from or is that a direction to aim my antenna ? I have fought with this crap for some time I  refuse to pay the rip offs like Direct and Dish (Bad Experiences with Both) We do not have a cable option here (Another POS experience I dont want to get into)

So can anyone with more experience than Me Help out with understanding ?  I have a military compass and have aimed my antenna front side close to the best direction.

• Like 1

Been there, done that.  My smart phone has a compass function.  If your does, all you have to do is go to the antenna, set your phone to compass, move your phone till it's pointing to that degree then aim your antenna to the same direction that your phone points to.  You can use a standard compass that's labeled in degrees the same way.

• Like 2

This may explain why I am not receiving FOX now all of sudden.,  I used to follow an OTA thread over at AVS forum.  There was a lot of helpful knowledge there.   If I remember correctly the channels that are 180 degree off from one another will fight over the better signal.  Some even use programable antenna movers to move the antenna for these different channels.  But this could all of changed in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This may explain why I am not receiving FOX now all of sudden.,  I used to follow an OTA thread over at AVS forum.  There was a lot of helpful knowledge there.   If I remember correctly the channels that are 180 degree off from one another will fight over the better signal.  Some even use programable antenna movers to move the antenna for these different channels.  But this could all of changed in the last couple of years.

They may have just changed antennas.  Rescan the channels and see if it comes back.

• Like 1

Thanks to "MOST" of you. I have done SEVERAL rescans all to no avail. The wife called the main station we worry about having. It has the most accurate weather forecasts apparently it takes them 2 months to do what all the other stations did in 1 day or less. We will see come Oct 1st. (that date has changed 3 times now)

I was under the impression I was doing things close to proper with the compass and I apparently am, Tried the cell phone compass I could turn  90 degrees and it would move a paltry 3 to 5 degrees.  My ex Military Compass has degrees and works very well still so I am pointed at least close to the proper angle.

Thanks for the links though I had already consulted them.

What kind of antenna do you have? If it is a log periodic you might have it pointed backwards. Just suggesting the simple things. We went through the repac

here a few weeks ago and everything has settled down as there were some antenna changes also at some TV stations. All of the same channels come through fine as before. The frequency changes may be a factor as your antenna now may not be able to pass them. And 65 miles is a far piece as all of the stations here are about 20 miles.

JJK

• Like 1

Have had great success with using a Yagi type of antenna. There are various one's misnamed as such online. Depending upon distance to the various stations, they can of time be received by not having a rotor to change antenna position. Would think most stations have migrated to UHF by now from VHF, which is now being used for purpose per FCC. There are some that are slowly complying. Also have used Archer brand VHF/UHF/ FM 25db amplifier for those more finicky stations that pixelate or dropout... fun times for sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

Me, too.  Specifically, the RCA mini-yagi for about $40+ at Wal-Mart.  That's a very good antenna, and it's not too huge.  It fits nicely in the attic.

Lol, that is the same one am using with amp just described...small world, and antenna...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

All of our stations are way on the other side of Houston.  Must be 25-30 miles or more.  They all come in great.  

What is your location in relation to the broadcasting towers?

Appox.45-60 miles due east of me.

Could have used larger antenna but all they had in stock. The amp makes it possible. As in other physical concerns, bigger is better.

Quite pleased however. Could have used 4 Bay am sure with good results and received an extra station or so.

• Like 1

They made a big deal out of the cheap little plastic crap antennas being digital, but it was the same frequencies and the old style work great. Almost all channels for TV are now UHF. I use a about 6 ft long antenna craft with the yagi and bowtie together. Use the UHF for TV and the VHF for FM. It works well. I also use Philo, Hulu, and Netflix and its more than enough. Philo comes over the internet and I like it better than satellite because it does not lose signal when it gets cloudy outside during storms. You know when you most want to watch tv.  

I use a Yagi style made by GE, I also have a winegard signal Amp.  I looked into the direction of the antenna and the small end is considered the front which is what I have pointing at 155 degree.  most of my stations are approx 35 miles away and within a few degrees of 155 degree.  I ordered another antenna that has great reviews from Amazon I plan to try it has a built in amp I will see if it doesn't pick up I can return it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VJLH3KX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Supposed to be omni directional 

• Like 1