sub crossover setting (boa 12)

newbiesacto

I agree with Boa 12 that it's a shame to waste large floor standing speakers by setting the receiver to small but I would like to try the small setting to hear if the bass is less muddy. I also have the de935 (until I upgrade to the denon).If I set the 935 to small for my fronts what HZ do I set the rsw12 at? The sub is in the rt corner directly behind the floorstanding speaker. I would appreciate any inpute.

I'm not Boa, but we seem to think alike. Assuming you have your sub connected to the sub out on the receiver, you will want to bypass the crossover in the sub entirely, and let the receiver do the filtering for you. So set the sub crossover to bypass or to its highest setting. If you can set a crossover in the receiver, I'd suggest setting it at about 80hz, since you didn't specify your main speakers, and that's a pretty typical starting point.

DD

Doug Drake: Thanks for the reply. I have been told by some that the my 2 front speakers are very similar to Klipsch Chrous. You apparently have the Chrous's. A description of my speakers now follows my post. Do you agree they are similar to the Chrous speakers? Also does that change your answer to my cross over question.Thanks again.

Doug Drake: Thanks for the reply. I have been told by some that the my 2 front speakers are very similar to Klipsch Chrous. You apparently have the Chrous's. A description of my speakers now follows my post. Do you agree they are similar to the Chrous speakers? Also does that change your answer to my cross over question.Thanks again.

new, ditto DD on the sub crossover setting. 16.gif believe the rsw sub does have a crossover disable switch, &/or turn it all the way up to the highest setting (probably 120hz).

the de935 was my 1st digital receiver & I now have it in the bedroom driving some cube speaks.

its really pretty good for the price anyway. but it does have a fixed 80hz crossover in its dsp for the sub out & any speaks set small.

so like doug says it does the filtering for your sub out already & you don't want the rsw crossover engaged & at a low setting, also because it sends ALL LFE only to the sub out/rsw (as about all do when you turn on sub:yes) & you don't want to cut any LFE.

from there, as to whether the overall bass quality, especially on 2-channel music, sounds best w/ settings to either fronts:large or fronts:small is up to your ears. should be an obvious dif though.

The Chorus specs are below. Can't see any real similarities to what you have. Cabinet volume is about 35% bigger on the Chorus, plus they have 15" woofers. Don't know anything about the EV drivers. Isn't there a model name/number on yours, perhaps near the binding posts on the back?

Doug

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via fonrt-mounted port

TWEETER: K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 7000Hz

MIDRANGE: K-57-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 650Hz

WOOFER: K-48-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

DIMENSIONS: 39" (99.06cm) x 18.5" (46.99cm) x 15.5" (39.37cm)

WEIGHT: 89 lbs. (40.4kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Walnut Lacquer, Oak Oil, Oak Lacquer, Finished Black

YEARS BUILT: 1987 - 1990