What Speakers?

Gunnett

I am going to start up a home theater system and I am 15 years old. I will be setting up in a room in my basement, the room is 23 x 13 and the size of the area where the speakers will be is 14 x 13. I am planning on getting the Sony STR-DB840 Reciever - Click Here for Info (I am not getting the reciever from Crutchfield, I am gettign from a site on Yahoo!) I am also planning on getting the KSW 12 Subwoofer. My question is should I get the Quintet Microsystem or should I get 4 Quintet sats from Ubid and get the Klipsch SC-1 Center?[/size}

Another good question to ask is; how much are you willing/able to spend?

The Quintet Microsystem is good but its no doubt the lower end of the Klipsh product offering. I can understand where youre coming from though, having been 15 once myself, and trying to build a good system.

The Quintet system will undoubtedly sound good for the room size as long as they are coupled with a subwoofer. Id recommend springing for any of the Synergy series speakers if you can afford them. They will last longer than the Quintets and they will sound fuller. Given your choices Id say get the SC-1. If you can afford the SF-1 for the front speakers Id suggest those too. The rear speakers are not as important in a first system as the front speakers are.

Youve got a lot of loud music playing ahead of you; it would be best to get some speakers that would last the abuse smile.gif

Gunnett,

Having a center speaker that matches your front L & R is very important in home theater, so ideally you would buy the complete Quintet system (w/ matching center channel speaker). However, if you decide the price is too good on ubid...I would consider the SC-.5 instead of the SC-1. I belive it would be a better match and it is a little bit cheaper...I saw the SC-.5 for $99 at my local dealer here in Florida.

There are not many Sony receiver fans here on this BB (mostly Denon & Yamaha)...I actually like the new Sony STR-DB series receivers...lots of bang for the buck in my opinion.