Looking for an amp to connect Urei 1620 to LaScalas

MZSS

I run a record label in New Orleans and I am building a soundsystem to use for our party series. I want to run my Urei 1620 mixer into two mid 70's Klipsch LaScalas. I need an amp with XLR inputs and speaker cable outputs. Something durable that can be moved around quite a bit. 

There are several live - sound options, the Crown XTi 2000 Amplifier, for instance. Would it be ill-advised to run such a powerful amp (1000 watts per channel) into such efficient speakers (100 watts continuous)? 

Any recommendations for an amp that would pull this system together? Thank you!

The XTi2000 is rated 1000 watts into 2 ohms. Would you need the DSP functions in the 2000? What is your budget, or do you already have an amp you could use. Is your party series always the same venue or will it change?

The Crown XLI800 would provide plenty of power for the La Scalas, especially if used to power a single pair of LS. Some of the QSC amps would also be good.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, 

Thank you for your reply! I should say that eventually I hope this system includes 2 more LaScalas for a total of 4. Currently, I also have a pair of vintage Klipsch bookshelf speakers I plan to use as monitors for the system. Is it possible to run 2 Lascalas and 2 monitors off the same amplifier while controlling volume individually?

The venue will change, as will the purpose (looking into partnerships with theaters and film festivals in town for their sound needs). 

It might be nice to have the DSP functions since the spaces will change and equing may need adjustment accordingly. At the same time, I'd prefer to limit any amount of digital processing. 

As for budget - I'd like to purchase an amplifier that gives me some room to grow as my system evolves. Ideally something in the $300-$500 range, but could be pushed up to $750 for the right reasons. 

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, MZSS said:

s it possible to run 2 Lascalas and 2 monitors off the same amplifier while controlling volume individually?

No, not in a practical or safe way.

Most of the DSPs in amps are for a crossover and setting delays on one channel, i.e., you want a sub attached, use the DSP to set the crossover point and, ig the sub is back further, delay the tops for the time alignment to be correct.

La Scalas really don't need a whole lot of power, being fully horn loaded they are very efficient. You already know this if you have some.

Another smaller amp could be used for he bookshelf speakers. If you are DJing events, will the mixer be behind the mains? Guessing that is the purpose of the bookshelves.I've found it harder to mix accurately with that kind of setup.

Bruce

Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't see myself adding a sub or horns in the hear future. For the spaces I want to inhabit most, 4 LaScalas would be ideal IMO. I have an old Marantz PM 7000 I could use to power the bookshelves, but I need an amp with XLR inputs for the main system -- the Urei's RCA outputs are not as warm IMO. 

2 minutes ago, MZSS said:

............. Is it possible to run 2 Lascalas and 2 monitors off the same amplifier while controlling volume individually?

No, unless it is a 4 channel amp or you run monitors on Ch A and La Scalas on Ch B.  All in Mono.  La Scalas need about 200 watts each.  You could start with a Crown XLS1000/1002 and add additional ones as your system grows.  They are light and sound good.  Look at used versions on Reverb or at Guitar Center.  Your monitors could be powered by a smaller amp, since they would be closer to you. 

2 minutes ago, MZSS said:

The venue will change, as will the purpose (looking into partnerships with theaters and film festivals in town for their sound needs). 

It might be nice to have the DSP functions since the spaces will change and equing may need adjustment accordingly. At the same time, I'd prefer to limit any amount of digital processing. 

As for budget - I'd like to purchase an amplifier that gives me some room to grow as my system evolves. Ideally something in the $300-$500 range, but could be pushed up to $750 for the right reasons. 

Thanks again!

You need an EQ unit at least for the house.

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/215s

A Driverack PA2 will auto eq (faster) and adds feedback control and the possibility of adding a subwoofer(s) with the built-in crossover. 

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-pa2

There are cheaper versions out there, but I have had trouble from Beheringer,  a crossover unit I bought only works with a 10 lb weight on top. 

Awesome info, thanks to the both of you! 

I think I've got enough info to get my system up and running once the Lascalas get here. 

Going forward, what do you think would be the best expansion to the system? Another Lascala or two? A sub or tweeter set? Or higher quality amplification / equing? For reference, I'll be playing dance music of all varieties, but primarily international disco, funk, and house music. 

Thanks! Can't wait to hear these speakers. 

While the bass on La Scalas is clean and tight, it doesn't go very low. For that application I would certainly add a sub next. I can't give you any recommendations. It would partly depend on the size of the venues. If you are up for building, some of the BFM subs would probably work well. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

https://billfitzmaurice.info/

Nice Urei, btw. Roatary pots... haven't used a mixer with rotary pots for a long time.