Chorus ii-Tube Pre/SS Amp combo or other way around?

Imsjry

Room is a medium size living room and Chrous's are in the corners with no toe in. I had them toed in but actually think not opened up the soundstage a bit. I sit about 9 feet from them which I realize is maybe not enough distance. Most do low to medium volume unless i have the house to myself (usually never). 

I may get a tube preamp at some point to see if I like the change in the chain. My main power amp is pretty darn nice with these and I'd hate to part with it. 

• Like 1

Do you have a way to measure the SPL at your listening position at low to medium playback levels?  That would provide some idea of how much power you require.  If you want to take an actual measurement, all that's needed is a cheap multimeter.  The method is extremely simple and is well outlined in this discussion:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/170414-who-wants-to-measure-how-much-power-voltage-is-really-needed/

Some guys keep a SS amp for the really loud levels and also a tube amp for the lower levels.  An inexpensive switcher can be used to select the amp you want to listen to.  The best of both worlds can be had that way.

Maynard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As with Forte's vs Chorus in your room, give both tube and solid state a try.  I don't agree that there is a universal 'best', but rather a choice based on personal preference and your own experimentation.  I've built and used tube amps for years with Heresies, La Scalas, Klipschorns, and now Chorus IIs.  I am running a Parasound Halo right now, which just what happened to be in my system.  It's superb sounding, but am using a very good valve line stage (The Masterpiece, as it's called, from Transcendent Sound).  If you have the opportunity to try a tube amp, do give it a chance!  There are some that I think would be outstanding with your Chorus IIs.

Let your own ears and brain make the decision -- not someone else', regardless of how much experience that person has.  It's always completely up to you! ;) 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Our Decware amp is finally being shipped to us within the next couple of days. I was curious about tubes with our ChorusII's. LOVE em with our ss gear anyway as well. Tubes Should be pretty cool too

• Like 1