Adding extension bass bin cab to La Scala

Don McPhee

I’ve been reading many post-in reference to  this modification and lots of specs....  bottom line I would like to know what kind of performance can we actually expect, will frequency range drop into the high 20s? .... should I expect distortion in this range?  Is performance of 40-100 Hz going to change as current set up it is very pronounced tight add accurate ??.

Cheers

Don

3 hours ago, Don McPhee said:

One thing I forgot to add is these cabinets have K 43 woofers. Is it worth changing to K 33‘s or Crites is woofers? 

NO, keep the K-43's they have better midrange presence due to the stiffer cone as well as higher power handling.  I use a K-43 in my center La Scala for that reason.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

NO, keep the K-43's they have better midrange presence due to the stiffer cone as well as higher power handling.  I use a K-43 in my center La Scala for that reason.

Thanks!! Great info. So was the K 43 meant to be a professional series release?So was the K 43 meant to be a professional series release?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:
7 hours ago, jason str said:
https://billfitzmaurice.info/THT.html

Cross it over @ 90 Hz or so to the La Scala's.

In my opinion, this is the correct answer. Leave the La Scalas alone.

I agree, all the changes presented would make a much smaller improvement than this idea, positively. These two together would be VERY nice.

I know some don't like adding a sub, but if done right you really can not tell it a sub making up the bottom, overdone yea it is not a good idea. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don McPhee said:

One thing I forgot to add is these cabinets have K 43 woofers. Is it worth changing to K 33‘s or Crites is woofers? 

That K-43 is more musical than the K-33. Also 200 watt vs 100 watt. I never take K-43's out but I have been know to take K-33's out right now and in fact have a nice pair for sale.

• 2 months later...

I would leave the La Scala's as they're originally built and add a pair of horn subs; horns for horns, as they say. Crossing them over to the La Scala's in the 80-100Hz range seems like a good choice. 

Horn subs sound different compared to direct radiator subs. To my ears the former is smoother, more enveloping and refined, and will integrate better with your La Scala's. Low distortion is not the only reason horns sound different, but also the way the cone through the gradual impedance match of the horn interacts with the air, makes a perceived difference. 

Suitable FLH subs could be the THT's and Cinema F20's, but I find tapped horns variants to be suitable as well. I use a pair of MicroWrecker tapped horns to augment my Belle-inspired Uccello's below 78Hz. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:56 AM, Don McPhee said:

I’ve been reading many post-in reference to  this modification and lots of specs....  bottom line I would like to know what kind of performance can we actually expect, will frequency range drop into the high 20s? .... should I expect distortion in this range?  Is performance of 40-100 Hz going to change as current set up it is very pronounced tight add accurate ??.

Cheers

Don

It helps, but not enough to make a subwoofer redundant, IMHO - regardless of what some other posts say.