Adding extension bass bin cab to La Scala

Don McPhee

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In a LaScala, the lower bass is "thinner" sounding  below 100 Hz. with the K43 because the K33 resonates with the air volume as a direct radiator in a tight environment. The LaScala is not a horn below about 104 Hz. Sensitivity ratings of a woofer enclosure interaction has much to do with what frequency you are doing a conversion to spl, looking at impedance, etc., and assigning "efficiency" rating. The K43 has a much bigger magnet and voice coil, and besides, which K33 are you speaking of? CTS, Jensen, EV, Square Magnet Eminence, Round Magnet Eminence? Same goes with the K43. They vary by date.

So I should be crossing over my subs (2x th-spud clones) at 100hz?

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

In a LaScala, the lower bass is "thinner" sounding  below 100 Hz. with the K43 because the K33 resonates with the air volume as a direct radiator in a tight environment. The LaScala is not a horn below about 104 Hz. Sensitivity ratings of a woofer enclosure interaction has much to do with what frequency you are doing a conversion to spl, looking at impedance, etc., and assigning "efficiency" rating. The K43 has a much bigger magnet and voice coil, and besides, which K33 are you speaking of? CTS, Jensen, EV, Square Magnet Eminence, Round Magnet Eminence? Same goes with the K43. They vary by date.

Claude,

Both the round K-33Eand square magnet K-33E, but the square magnet K-33E sounds better to me. What can you  tell me about my four EV 15W=K drivers, they are 1950s models with the huge / heavy Alnico magnets.?

Never had any K-33Ps or Stevens Tru Sonics to test.

Thanks.... Rog

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Claude,

Both the round K-33Eand square magnet K-33E, but the square magnet K-33E sounds better to me. What can you  tell me about my four EV 15W=K drivers, they are 1950s models with the huge / heavy Alnico magnets.?

Never had any K-33Ps or Stevens Tru Sonics to test.

Thanks.... Rog

I never had a chance to test them all, nor have I had a desire to do that. My friend has EV woofers in his Cornwalls from early 70's. I never opened up my Khorn or LaScalas for the over 30 years I had them. Subsequent to that, when I started my journey with MWMs bins, I ended up with some Square Magnet K33P's, which were my favorites in Peavey FH-1 bins with a touch of PEQ. In my small basement office, those suckers went down to 30 Hz. (cabin gain I'm sure), but they were pretty darn good with EV DH1A drivers on940 Horns and Behringer Active Xover. That was a great 2-way setup. K33P's (made by CTS of Paducah), were the best sounding ones I ever had. Got them from a guy who sold/traded me for some Chorus 1's and 2's and some cash. I can't recall the details. All I know is when I took some K43's and put them in my LaScalas, the midrange definition was vastly improved, which eventually got me to recommend the Eminence Kappa 15C for owners of LaScalas and Belles, since they modeled even better in Hornresp  than the K43's and also sounded great. Many here have done that and agreed! They are still the best bang for the buck in those short horns and that experience got me going the active route for Xovers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I never had a chance to test them all, nor have I had a desire to do that. My friend has EV woofers in his Cornwalls from early 70's. I never opened up my Khorn or LaScalas for the over 30 years I had them. Subsequent to that, when I started my journey with MWMs bins, I ended up with some Square Magnet K33P's, which were my favorites in Peavey FH-1 bins with a touch of PEQ. In my small basement office, those suckers went down to 30 Hz. (cabin gain I'm sure), but they were pretty darn good with EV DH1A drivers on940 Horns and Behringer Active Xover. That was a great 2-way setup. K33P's (made by CTS of Paducah), were the best sounding ones I ever had. Got them from a guy who sold/traded me for some Chorus 1's and 2's and some cash. I can't recall the details. All I know is when I took some K43's and put them in my LaScalas, the midrange definition was vastly improved, which eventually got me to recommend the Eminence Kappa 15C for owners of LaScalas and Belles, since they modeled even better in Hornresp  than the K43's and also sounded great. Many here have done that and agreed! They are still the best bang for the buck in those short horns and that experience got me going the active route for Xovers.

The 1970s version of the EV 15W-Ks wpuld be the mud magnet version. The 1950s version also has flat wire aluminum voice coils.

Rog

OK, I'll chime in to the OP's question. I added the bass bins about three years ago to great effect. When I changed listening rooms last year, I decided to revert back to the original format. Granted, I've got some pretty serious cabin gain and the stock Lascalas were placed in the corners, they sounded great as is. I listened to them for a couple of weeks before reinstalling the bins. I will echo what essentially everyone says, they add enough LF extension to be worth it without any loss, to my ears.

Now to be honest, I find them really really ugly and much prefer Claude's Qpie solution for looks and surely performance. That is still my winter project which I should tackle sometime in the new year. If I were to rebuild the bass bins I'd make the doghouse cutout such that I could try aiming the ports towards the back, just to see. They'd be significantly better looking that way too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello All!

Newbie here, this is my first post, just thought I would chime in on the La Scala bass bins , as I have built them and am currently using them under my Scalas.

I am a hobbyist audiophile and also a hobbyist woodworker. I am not a proffessional at either of these hobbies. I was introduced to Klipsch heritage stuff by my friend Mike, who has a very nice SAE rack setup and a pair of speaker lab Khorns. I started with a pair of herseys then bought walnut Khorns at pawn shop for $900 back in the 90's. Sold the khorns and herseys as my wife and daughters came along and house would not accomodate the khorns anymore. Then comes I pod etc. vintage music went away in our household and did not fit in until I built 30 x 40 woodworking shop behind our house. Ended up lurking on craigslist for woodworking tools and stereo stuff. Ended up with a nice mitsubishi amp, pre, meters and tuner setup from one owner. then along comes La Scalas from craigslist, painted black, cats lived in them and get them home both tweeters blown. Get crites c-120 tweets washers for mid drivers and new crites 4500 xovers. I do really like the scalas alot, but they do lack in base and if you listen for long periods your head will hurt. They are very direct  in the mids and will get to you with louder volumes.

I am a blues guitar guy and that is the music I listen to and I do like it louder, these speakers will wear you down.

So, that was just a little history to set the scene here. I built the base bins , and I am currently running them. My opinion is that they do help some, and are a little better than without, but not the total answer. I am going to get a sub for sure, or make a sub. I am super glad I ran into this post as, I feel I will probably make one of the Bill Fitzmaurice subs referenced in this thread>

Sorry for the long rambling Thanks for Looking The bass bins are not enough of an answer------------ a sub is needed to reproduce the lower frequencies.

Thanks 

Gordon

• Like 1