KG2 question

DavidJB

Hello. I'm putting together a vintage audio system for listening to records. I am by no means a technician. I have an HK930 receiver and a Phillip's 312 turntable. I have a chance to buy some KG2 speakers. I read conflicting information about the compatibility between my receiver and the speakers because the speakers are 4 ohm. So I figured I'd go straight to the source to see if this would be a good match. Thank you.

I saw that, but like I said, I've read conflicting info in a couple of different forums. I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can before I make a decision. I've wanted some Klipsch speakers for some time and though I'd prefer a pair of Heresy they're just not in my budget right now and these are.

not trying to give you a hard time but if the manufacturer says that it is fine in the owners manual and you still have doubts why would the comments of folks you don't even know make you feel any better? Why would their opinion carry a greater weight than that of the manufacturer? I have never owned a HK930, I have had other HK models though. The 930 has dual supplies and can output 50 watts per channel which is a lot more than you will ever play in to the KG2 you are considering so I fail to see why amplifier stability should be an issue you will have much reserve nothing will ever be stressed. My concern would not be one of stability but rather exploding decades old electrolytic capacitors. A re cap would be a wise investment for this nice receiver.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DavidJB said:

Hello. I'm putting together a vintage audio system for listening to records. I am by no means a technician. I have an HK930 receiver and a Phillip's 312 turntable. I have a chance to buy some KG2 speakers. I read conflicting information about the compatibility between my receiver and the speakers because the speakers are 4 ohm. So I figured I'd go straight to the source to see if this would be a good match. Thank you.

Yes it would be a good match, I use a HK930 on a pair of Cornwall lll's and have also used them on a pair of LaScala's and Heresy's at times, never tried them on KG2's but they are fine on the ones I tried should be no problem with the KG's.

I have no idea about the KG2, never had or heard them but would think if it has no problem with the others it would be fine, actually the HK930 has a really nice sound.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, moray james said:

not trying to give you a hard time but if the manufacturer says that it is fine in the owners manual and you still have doubts why would the comments of folks you don't even know make you feel any better? Why would their opinion carry a greater weight than that of the manufacturer? I have never owned a HK930, I have had other HK models though. The 930 has dual supplies and can output 50 watts per channel which is a lot more than you will ever play in to the KG2 you are considering so I fail to see why amplifier stability should be an issue you will have much reserve nothing will ever be stressed. My concern would not be one of stability but rather exploding decades old electrolytic capacitors. A re cap would be a wise investment for this nice receiver.

Thank you. I see your point. I was hoping for input from actual HK930 and Klipsch owners which I have now received. Fist thing I did when I got it was to take it to a local guy who does repairs and refurbishing. He took very good care of it and assured me I would enjoy it for years to come.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes it would be a good match, I use a HK930 on a pair of Cornwall lll's and have also used them on a pair of LaScala's and Heresy's at times, never tried them on KG2's but they are fine on the ones I tried should be no problem with the KG's.

I have no idea about the KG2, never had or heard them but would think if it has no problem with the others it would be fine, actually the HK930 has a really nice sound.

Thanks much! I will have Heresy's one day. For now, I'm looking forward to hearing these little KG2s. At $75, I can't pass them up.

• Moderators

I have never heard any of the KG line but many people like them, I know I really like the 930, classic vintage sound. Which to me means better than many of the sterile sounding new amps sold today.

This happened to me when I first tried it.  I connected some Cornwalls to it, this is in a room with a completely different set up for HT but all electronics were in the same place. I connected the 930 and turned it on and had music playing and thought I need to turn off the sub to hear just the Cornwalls, I went to reach for the sub amp then realizing it was off and not even connected to this set up. This vintage amp was way more lively with a powerful sound not flat and dull like what the Yamaha HT receiver sounded like, it was overall a much better sound, anyone could hear the difference. A friend that was here just sat and laughed at me when I went to turn off the already off sub amp. He just looked at me and said I knew it would sound better and wanted to see what you thought.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dtel said:

I have never heard any of the KG line but many people like them, I know I really like the 930, classic vintage sound. Which to me means better than many of the sterile sounding new amps sold today.

This happened to me when I first tried it.  I connected some Cornwalls to it, this is in a room with a completely different set up for HT but all electronics were in the same place. I connected the 930 and turned it on and had music playing and thought I need to turn off the sub to hear just the Cornwalls, I went to reach for the sub amp then realizing it was off and not even connected to this set up. This vintage amp was way more lively with a powerful sound not flat and dull like what the Yamaha HT receiver sounded like, it was overall a much better sound, anyone could hear the difference. A friend that was here just sat and laughed at me when I went to turn off the already off sub amp. He just looked at me and said I knew it would sound better and wanted to see what you thought.

I love it. A neighbor essentially gave it to me. I have it in a relatively small room (16'x13') connected to a pair of custom cabinets (also given to me). Each has an 8" driver and a ribbon tweeter. They're loud, but lack the crispness and clarity I desire. I believe the KG2s will be good for the room. I'll find out Saturday. 

• Like 2

Are KG2s really rated at 4 ohms?  I have a pair running on a Technics SA-300. 

At any rate 4 ohms.pulls twice the current that 8 ohms does at a given voltage out to the speakers.  Current makes heat.  Heat kills transistors.  Control the volume so you can't hear distortion and you control the heat at safe levels.  This would also apply to 2 ohm loads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidJB said:

I love it. A neighbor essentially gave it to me. I have it in a relatively small room (16'x13') connected to a pair of custom cabinets (also given to me). Each has an 8" driver and a ribbon tweeter. They're loud, but lack the crispness and clarity I desire. I believe the KG2s will be good for the room. I'll find out Saturday. 

Welcome!

they will be good until....

I bought a pair of entry level bookshelf speakers. R15Ms   Liked 'em so much, I decided to upgrade .....  to LaScalas and an H/K630 in one jump. And not horrible expensive. I set a budget and came in under.

Must of done something wrong

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Have fun, but one warning your going to be addicted, I warned you.

next upgrade might as well be pro gear...

Don't hang around with these guys. They are a bad influence.A lot of fun, though

• Like 1

I've had KG2's I bought new in 1986. For years, I ran them with a HK330i and thought it was a nice match. For the price you mention, the KG2 would be a nice grab. Recently ---- I thought the KG2's sounded a bit muddy/flat. So I modified them with titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites, and can say that it was well worth the money, at least for me. I didn't realize the KG2's were 4 ohm speakers, so not sure about your other questions with the 930.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam S. said:

I've had KG2's I bought new in 1986. For years, I ran them with a HK330i and thought it was a nice match. For the price you mention, the KG2 would be a nice grab. Recently ---- I thought the KG2's sounded a bit muddy/flat. So I modified them with titanium tweeter diaphragms from Bob Crites, and can say that it was well worth the money, at least for me. I didn't realize the KG2's were 4 ohm speakers, so not sure about your other questions with the 930.

I've heard several people mention Crites tweeters. Does he still make them? Do you send the speakers to him or just buy the parts and DIY?

I had the integrated amp like that receiver,  though I think mine was 40 Watts a side.  Probably the pre/power amp from the receiver below yours.  Same vintage, same Twin Power setup.  I continually cranked the crap out of it with two sets of speakers, so 4 ohm nominal.  You'll be just fine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DavidJB said:

I've heard several people mention Crites tweeters. Does he still make them? Do you send the speakers to him or just buy the parts and DIY?

Yes, got to this page, then the info. is down towards the bottom. Currently $54 + $9 shipping. You can e-mail Bob from that site (About Us > Contact Us) for more info. You do the mod. yourself, but it's real simple. Here's a general overview of the process.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

Yes, got to this page, then the info. is down towards the bottom. Currently $54 + $9 shipping. You can e-mail Bob from that site (About Us > Contact Us) for more info. You do the mod. yourself, but it's real simple. Here's a general overview of the process.

Oh cool. So, to remove the tweeters, do I have to separate the connections and then resolder after I complete the diaphragm swap?

No soldering. I can't remember -- but I think you just remove the screws on the front to gain access, then follow the instructions on Bob's website. If that's not the case, you might have to remove the passive radiator to gain access thru the back, but I don't think that's the case. Basically this procedure. You might have to remove the clips, but they shouldn't be soldered. You should see two leads like this, and you might have to pull the wires off to have more room to complete the swap. You just re-connect the wires after you've swapped the diaphragm, and re-install.

image.png.b07d1eaec350a6bc92564c16b9a9521a.png

• Like 1