French Press

mr clean

Who uses one? I was using one a few years ago but its been in the panty for awhile, until last week. The more I read, the more confused I get. Im starting to get mine, to where its not to far off  from what a a place a town over serves, and they do a great job. Im messing with times, temps, grind size, beans, and water.  Any experts have any tips that work for them. I really like the taste from a press better. You don't take away the oils like a paper filter and thats what im after.

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

Who uses one? I was using one a few years ago but its been in the panty for awhile, until last week. The more I read, the more confused I get. Im starting to get mine, to where its not to far off  from what a a place a town over serves, and they do a great job. Im messing with times, temps, grind size, beans, and water.  Any experts have any tips that work for them. I really like the taste from a press better. You don't take away the oils like a paper filter and thats what im after.

I use a fairly coarse grind similar to what you would use in a drip/paper filter style pot.  Water is mixed with the beans and I usually wait 4 minutes before I press.  Slow steady pressure on the press knob works better than forcing it.  Other than that it's bean to water ratio to taste.   I think @jimjimbo uses one as well.

• Like 2

You’re going to get a big spectrum of attributes. I use medium fine grind of a mixture of Kona and dark espresso beans, well stirred initially and 12 minutes of steep time. But I take mine with whipping cream and coconut palm raw sugar, so there goes all the effort to taste the coffee! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weigh everything for consistency.  Most will recommend starting with a 1:15 (coffee to water ratio) I prefer closer to 1:10-12 ratio. Weigh the water at heated temperature (200 deg F). Fresh ground as course of a grind as my burr grinder goes. I use a kitchen scale and electric kettle with temperature setting to keep things consistent.  

Start with enough water to just wet the grounds and stir, let sit for 30sec to bloom. Stir again, add the rest of the water, stir again, put the top on. let sit for 10 mins. Press and enjoy!  

If your looking for a great french press the Frieling double wall stainless press is impressive, keeps coffee warm for at least two albums. 

As with changing audio gear, when experimenting to find your own ideal taste, only change one aspect of brewing process at a time, otherwise you never know what actually "changed" the taste.

This might sound excessive just for coffee, but if I don't get a good cup, I don't hear the music right... then the real problems start :) ha! Good luck!      

• Like 3

@MC39693 I know labels are variable but do you get sludge in the bottom of your mug with med-fine ground in a press? I use one notch above halfway on the gauge for grinding for the coffee pot and paper filter, closer to max grind size for hand made with the screen filter.

Had a press and kept it under the counter until it got broken one day. Found an improved way (Immersion) and with the great beans from HI I got last week I brought it out again.

https://www.amazon.com/Eva-Solo-Coffee-Neoprene-1-Liter/dp/B00009OWEV/

@Jerspokin KNOWS!

I don't weigh the stuff but I measure 5 rounded tbsp to 1 qt, use water just off of a boil, allow 1 min or so for the bloom then break the grinds up that are floating (not stirring) & steep for four min after that.

Not regimented like the $$ latte folks do it but with good beans it's worth the effort and almost as good as my previous addictions!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Could you just munch on the raw beans?  

(I'm not a coffee person, but wife is....she uses a Jura.  Don't think she's ever done the press thing)

That’s what the coffee shop I go to uses! Very nice. I hope you used that for leverage on a nice pair of speakers.

I mentioned this thread to her (telling her how hysterically funny I was about you munching the beans....  no, she didn't laugh either)

None the less, she said she thought the Jura just might be a press type machine.

It takes the beans (or ground if you wish to dump that in) and grinds them up....  packs them into a puck thing then under pressure, forces the water through it.

Being very ignorant of coffee....  I would think that "coffee is coffee" but that clearly isn't the case and I must say, most everyone that she makes a batch for, comes away (saying) that they really liked the difference.  Her brother put his money where his mouth is and went out to buy a Jura for himself.

Side note:  She's got a gal-pal who's got more money than sense.  Gal pal told my wife it didn't work and how should she dispose of it....?  Should she just take it to the curb?  My wife said she'd take it because "I" can fix anything (hahahahahahaha).  

Well....  got to taking it apart (it was leaking) and it simply needed a new water pump.  Slapped a new pump in for something like $100 and she's been making coffee like a bandit since.

Not bad for something heading to the curb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

I mentioned this thread to her (telling her how hysterically funny I was about you munching the beans....  no, she didn't laugh either)

None the less, she said she thought the Jura just might be a press type machine.

It takes the beans (or ground if you wish to dump that in) and grinds them up....  packs them into a puck thing then under pressure, forces the water through it.

Being very ignorant of coffee....  I would think that "coffee is coffee" but that clearly isn't the case and I must say, most everyone that she makes a batch for, comes away (saying) that they really liked the difference.  Her brother put his money where his mouth is and went out to buy a Jura for himself.

Side note:  She's got a gal-pal who's got more money than sense.  Gal pal told my wife it didn't work and how should she dispose of it....?  Should she just take it to the curb?  My wife said she'd take it because "I" can fix anything (hahahahahahaha).  

Well....  got to taking it apart (it was leaking) and it simply needed a new water pump.  Slapped a new pump in for something like $100 and she's been making coffee like a bandit since.

Not bad for something heading to the curb.

The Jura's are pricey machines, Great Score! 👍 Also, well done on fixing the machine not knowing anything about it.   They do use vacuum pressure, which really extracts the last bit of flavor from the ground coffee and takes a cup of coffee to the next level,  in my opinion of course.   its the crema, which does it and what is it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I use a fairly coarse grind similar to what you would use in a drip/paper filter style pot.  Water is mixed with the beans and I usually wait 4 minutes before I press.  Slow steady pressure on the press knob works better than forcing it.  Other than that it's bean to water ratio to taste.   I think @jimjimbo uses one as well.

I do, and I use a medium grind and steep about 10-12 minutes.  I enjoy very strong coffee.  However, lately I have been doing the cold brew thing, with a device called "The Toddy Coffee Maker".  Cold brew tastes head and shoulders better than hot brew coffee, and packs a serious caffeine kick, depending on how you end up diluting the end product.  Very, very smooth, hardly any acid taste and very full bodied.  Highly recommended.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnJ said:

water just off of a boil, allow 1 min

205 degrees Fahrenheit

Heat water to 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit.

Getting the water temperature right is critical: 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't have a thermometer, use this simple trick: wait for the water to boil, then remove from heat and wait 30 seconds before brewing

Water/Boiling point

212°F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtmudd said:
Heat water to 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit.

Getting the water temperature right is critical: 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't have a thermometer, use this simple trick: wait for the water to boil, then remove from heat and wait 30 seconds before brewing

You've misrepresented my statement by editing it.... "Ya work for the Times!"😆

By the time I'm ready to pour it the water has cooled and isn't bubbling. But you broke up ", allow 1 min or so for the bloom"

Therein lies the secret of how those baristas with the wedgies can make such good $10 coffees.

• Like 1

I found a chart online to make getting the ratio right and I was using just little more than a 1:10-12 ratio. I use 3 and a half teaspoons of beans for 18 ounces of water. The chart was showing a fuzz over 3 teaspoons. I saw some where a teaspoon of beans for about 6 ounces of water and then added a half teaspoon. This chart is pretty handy for rookies like me. Im getting ready to make some coffee but I hope I don't hurt myself! This is hard😎!

https://www.frenchpresscoffee.com/pages/french-press-coffee-to-water-ratio-calculator 

1 hour ago, MC39693 said:

@JohnJ yes, sludge! Kona and Kauai coffee plantation mixed with espresso. I used a glass bodum press until it broke when it tipped over on the quartz counter. Now we have a steel one.

That is the same one that I broke a couple of years ago! Check out the eva solo, the surface area of the more fine screen is larger and conical. Different than a press, I use a process I read about at amazon or somewhere else to preheat it - then put that hot water in the thermal carafe - dump grinds in the maker..after new water has boiled - pour water into maker gently - let bloom happen - wait then get my mug and put the rest in the glass thermos. The Bunn has been heating water for nothing the last few days.

Pickier with this than I am the condition of my LPs before going under my stylus!!

• Like 1

@mr clean I'll tell you that grinder you have is the best there is. And it is still less than a bill to buy like it was a decade ago.

I've had three over about ten years, a rock ruined one and the other just got dull after so much usage. The consistency of the grinds is maintained well no matter where I stop on the selector. From not quite fine enough for espresso to more coarse than I need for my not electric coffee maker. The new one I got last year on sale is more quiet than the previous one. You're probably aware how much better the glass catcher is for preventing static!

Just made a second quart, the first was at 5:30 today.. 7 hrs ago.

IMG-20190919-120711.jpg

IMG-20190919-121029.jpg

IMG-20190919-121412.jpg

• Like 1