French Press

mr clean

Wow there's a lot to read here and now I have more home work to do.  I too recently started using a press (only on weekends) and first video I watched said not to steep longer than about 3 minutes, sounds like I need to increase my steeping time.  I too like a bolder flavor, no cream or sugar here.  I did try bulletproof coffee, if you have to have creamer and are on a keto diet, I recommend it.  If not and like me who likes it black, then stick to black coffee.  I need to research what a coarse ground really is, as I just pick the French press setting on the grinder at the store.  I boil tap water in a tea kettle, add grounds to the press ( about 6 heaping tablespoons), pour some water in for a about 30 secs, fill the rest of the way and steep for about 3 minutes.  Pour into a cup or carafe,  I would like to know what heating the press does and if there is proof that it makes a difference.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Wow there's a lot to read here and now I have more home work to do.  I too recently started using a press (only on weekends) and first video I watched said not to steep longer than about 3 minutes, sounds like I need to increase my steeping time.  I too like a bolder flavor, no cream or sugar here.  I did try bulletproof coffee, if you have to have creamer and are on a keto diet, I recommend it.  If not and like me who likes it black, then stick to black coffee.  I need to research what a coarse ground really is, as I just pick the French press setting on the grinder at the store.  I boil tap water in a tea kettle, add grounds to the press ( about 6 heaping tablespoons), pour some water in for a about 30 secs, fill the rest of the way and steep for about 3 minutes.  Pour into a cup or carafe,  I would like to know what heating the press does and if there is proof that it makes a difference.

I steeped mine today for about 7 minutes. Broke the crust after about a minute. I don't know how big your press is but you use more coffee im sure. 

YO @The Dude!

The steep might just be a preference from what I read up on the trick I ordered to make coffee with now. When I've got some primo beans I'll take the time to mess with. Or when the power goes out.

The pre-heating I do is just because I want to end up with HOT coffee... like Mc D's used to do decades ago. So I take it to the hilt... each step of the way. I'm usually not patient enough, but since it's the middle of a lazy day for me I just "did it"

Hope you're doing good, last time we crossed paths it was over coffee and CDB stuff I think.

And yep good coffee doesn't need anything else, just like a good cut of beef on the grill doesn't!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

I don't know how big your press

I want to say maybe 18 ounces, but could be wrong, now I want to go check. 

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Hope you're doing good, last time we crossed paths it was over coffee and CDB stuff I think.

Doing good, yeah if I remember correctly, you re purpose the left over water to water your plants.  I try to do the same, or it goes in the dogs bowl.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WillyBob said:

yes, you can munch on "raw" [roasted] beans.

Chocolate covered expresso beans are easy to find.

So I'm told.  My wife schooled me on that after my above comments.

I had no idea.  Then again, I'm not a coffee person.... so have never delved into that deep, dark abyss.

• Like 1

Steep time, like beans and grind etc is a personal choice. With non acidic beans like Hawaii beans, I use a bit more time. I use cream and sugar because my stomach doesn’t tolerate acid well.  Once you find a system, eg. by weight or volume and steep time, then it becomes a mater of consistency.

chocolate covered coffee beans are great! All the caffeine and no water dilution.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, JohnJ said:

YO @The Dude!

The steep might just be a preference from what I read up on the trick I ordered to make coffee with now. When I've got some primo beans I'll take the time to mess with. Or when the power goes out.

The pre-heating I do is just because I want to end up with HOT coffee... like Mc D's used to do decades ago. So I take it to the hilt... each step of the way. I'm usually not patient enough, but since it's the middle of a lazy day for me I just "did it"

And yep good coffee doesn't need anything else, just like a good cut of beef on the grill doesn't!

I preheated the press the last two times and  it is noticeable. Hotter for sure. Good tip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

I pour hot water in my coffee mug to preheat it as well.

...I like a lot of cream in my coffee...

I abuse cream and half and half. I have cut back. I was most likely using about 10 tablespoons for 18 oz. Ive cut back using one of these to mix it in better and use it on warm half and half first by its self also to give it some foam. About 3 now which I guess is better. I find I can't control myself if I pour from the carton so I put it in a juice glass first🍮🍩!

41e5mx5-ltL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess in 2019 this can be said. I think im a little girl in a mans body! I am using 3 tablespoons dark roast coffee to 18 0z of water and it is perfect for me. Thats 2 or 3 tablespoons less than alot of sites say to use. I got the water boiling and after the water boiled waited 1 min to add to grinds. Poured the water in a circle to wet the grounds and just poured half the water. Waited 35 sec and then slightly stirred and added the rest of the water. Waited until 4 mins total passed and pressed. Poured most but left a bit in the press as was recomended on one site I was reading. I was reading somewhere going over 4 mins was a mistake and would make it over extract but everyone has an opinion on this. There is nothing perfect but as I drink this im thinking this saved me a 15 min drive to New Harmony for a really enjoyable cup of coffee.  

On 9/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, Coytee said:

So I'm told.  My wife schooled me on that after my above comments.

I had no idea.  Then again, I'm not a coffee person.... so have never delved into that deep, dark abyss.

Around here they're called buzz beans.  Dark chocolate and espresso beans are my favorite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

I am using 3 tablespoons dark roast coffee to 18 0z of water

That sounds like the instructions.

1 tablespoon coffee/ cup.   6oz is a "cup" of coffee.

last trip to OZ, was talking to a young lady [of course], her boyfriend was a bodybuilder. He was saying he wanted some extra energy...  Gave him a handful of beans to munch. No chocolate. Were still OK to eat.. 

beans? I don't take chances. I bring my own...

23 hours ago, mr clean said:

I abuse cream and half and half. I have cut back. I was most likely using about 10 tablespoons for 18 oz. Ive cut back using one of these to mix it in better and use it on warm half and half first by its self also to give it some foam. About 3 now which I guess is better. I find I can't control myself if I pour from the carton so I put it in a juice glass first🍮🍩!

41e5mx5-ltL.jpg

* ^^^^^ Milkshake ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Can't believe I missed it...  I had him pegged as a teenage girl in a man's body.  Must be mature for a little girl.

Im over here with alligator tears in my eyes right now! How could you guy pic on a kid! Oh well I got a cup of joe and listening to jon lord beat that hammond c-3 up so I will get over it im sure. I just got my toys out also. I just wanted to show everyone im not a little girl!

image.png.1bc6a2b7cf3fa62574938a00cf572fd3.png 

• Sad 1