Cleaning/modernizing Lascala balancing network

MZSS

Hi all, 

I recently purchased some single-owner Lascalas circa 1980. My intent is to use them as part of a mobile soundsystem, so I need them to work reliably. The balancing network is quite dusty, with noticeably aged original components. I am curious what you all might recommend as maintenance - my number one goal is to make these speakers reliable. Is there a good way to clean this balancing network? Do I need to? Should I replace any components? If I were to overhaul the balancing network, where might I start?

Thanks!

IMG_2158 (1).jpg

Unfortunately, you have the AL crossover which is better to replace than the normal recap. 

I would suggest new AA x-overs from Bob Crites. But I would first test what you have. If it ends up you need new tweeters as well, I would suggest the A4500 crossover and new tweeters also from Bob. (cant use the A4500 w the K77 tweeter) Contact him and he will steer you right.

There are other options that are more expensive and may be worth it in your home, but for a mobile system, any improvement may not be noticed.

Hope you have a strong back, moving these around can get ya. I just aired some of mine out this weekend and can definitely feel it in my back, and neck, and knees.... but it was worth it.

IMG_4212.thumb.JPG.cb75832946c259275c0de4a26c744fb8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are simply a couple 12" Dayton drivers in some home built cabs. One is the RSS315 and one is a Titanic IV. They are normally in my basement, but I brought them out for the event. They do a good enough job of filling in the very lowest end. They don't quite keep up with the LS but do to a point and did help out. Not ideal for this application, but were all I had. It did sound very nice, never got "cranked". I keep threatening to build a fully horn loaded sub and will eventually. 

• Like 1