4 crossover cap options- $94-$350..

iaRIVR

I've got Forte IIs with the sonicaps from Crites and planning to move the crossovers to new boards as I did a pretty hack job fitting everything into the original PCB. I priced out 4 different packages- how would the Jantzen Cross Cap or Mundorf Mcap Classic work? Or should I wait until I can afford something like Mcap Supreme?

Here are the options:

image.png.8b0cb790cca07ceba201b62cd84c2e6c.png

My plan is to keep these, and I'm having a hard time understanding the crossover upgrade options. On the one hand you have SET12 going all out, and many people rocking the Sonicaps and loving it.

I am probably just a cheap son of a gun, but these all seem a bit pricey. First, unless there is a problem, I would not bother replacing the power resistors. Look at the values on your current system and look at the Parts Express selection. Solen caps (poly prop) are fine. If you want get some extra quality  then by all means bypass (wire in parallel) the caps with a Dayton film/foil (about 1-5% the value of the cap being bypassed). This alone will save you a ton of money.

In all honesty, I am someone who hears a bit more energy in the highs after the caps are replaced (however, it is worth doing). I am not someone who goes running down the street yelling "Eureka, I have removed the veil on the sound ..... It's as different as night and day". 

Just my opinion .....

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I don't see AudioCap Thetas, Kimber Kaps or Sledgehammer coils on your list.  I would run your list by @DeanG as has tried a large number and can tell which ones are the best for your buck.  Did you check Parts Express?

Kimbers don't exist anymore. Sledgehammers are junk - the steel laminate plates slide. Thetas don't come in 1.5uF.

Arizona Blue is a hermetically sealed, oil filled, paper and polyester film and foil. I use a lot of them.

20190706_170638.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

I've got Forte IIs with the sonicaps from Crites and planning to move the crossovers to new boards as I did a pretty hack job fitting everything into the original PCB. I priced out 4 different packages- how would the Jantzen Cross Cap or Mundorf Mcap Classic work? Or should I wait until I can afford something like Mcap Supreme?

Here are the options:

image.png.8b0cb790cca07ceba201b62cd84c2e6c.png

My plan is to keep these, and I'm having a hard time understanding the crossover upgrade options. On the one hand you have SET12 going all out, and many people rocking the Sonicaps and loving it.

The larger layout of the Crites crossover is a part of why they sound better, less interaction between parts and better orientation of parts which do interfere with each other. Just so you know jamming your expensive parts onto the pcb on the terminal cup is not your best option.

• Like 2

Thanks all- I'll take a look at Arizona blue. I'm rebuilding because I want to spread everything out on new boards. I was planning to just do caps for now and leave the rest of the parts stock but will look at options.

I'm trying to figure out a good price point, I'd like to do this eventually and if the answer is I should budget $300+ that's good to know.

@PrestonTom - Appreciate the advice and noted 👍

Edit- Arizona blue are $30/ea for the 1.5 and 2uf. That would be $200 + the 100/10uf. I haven't found larger caps other than Mundorf classic and Jantzen.

Edited by iaRIVR

4 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

110 uf parallel to the woofer. 

What does this do Dean?  How does it filter if in parallel or does it do something else? 

I stole this from another site:

"A cap will behave like a resistor with a different resistance depending on frequency. the higher you go up in frequency, the lower the 'resistance' value of the capacitor. The cap across the woofer bypasses or shunts the higher frequencies, making the higher frequency voltages smaller. This makes less high frequency content available for the woofer."

• Like 1

The capacitor in parallel with the woofer  makes it a second order filter. Meaning above the crossover frequency the roll off will be 12 dB per octave. With just the inductor in series with the woofer it is a first order filter with 6dB roll off per octave.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deang said:

I stole this from another site:

"A cap will behave like a resistor with a different resistance depending on frequency. the higher you go up in frequency, the lower the 'resistance' value of the capacitor. The cap across the woofer bypasses or shunts the higher frequencies, making the higher frequency voltages smaller. This makes less high frequency content available for the woofer."

So it behaves as a filter by affecting the resistance.  It also looks like it does not need to be a fancy cap as current that goes through it does not through the driver.  Sound correct?

• Like 1