Khorns in the audio room... its been 13 years.

charlieboy

On 9/21/2019 at 7:09 AM, emw2net said:

I have Khorns the same vintage - Have yet to find the right set up. Recommendations? What cables do you use. Did you do any crossover/woofer modifications?

I just got them home two days ago and have not done a thing to them. I'm using regular 14 gauge copper speaker wire and everything is stock with the Khorns. I haven't even thought about any upgrades and I am just enjoying them for now. Upgrades will come later when I determine what they will be. I will be treating the room in the coming months as that has been my plan for a while now.

Charlie

IMG_8326resize.jpeg

• Like 8

For now I will do two simple and free things. I have dynamat left over from another project which I will wrap the mid horns with,  and I will time align the tweeter drivers with the mid drivers placing them at the top rear of the speaker for now. 

Currently setup with a James Burgess 45/2A3 S.E.T. amplifier (1wpc and 3wpc respectively) easily interchangeable to Burgess Eiclone 6550 triode monoblocks (30wpc triode or 60wpc ultra linear), a James Burgess tube preamp/phono stage, PeachTree Audio 65SE (serving as DAC), Modified AT1240 TT with AT33EV cartridge and Cardas wiring straight to the Burgess phono stage. Media is served up via an Otari MTR10-2, Teac 1040Sl, Akai 280D-SS and Akai X-150D Reel to Reel machines, a PC music server with over 25 terabytes of Hi-Rez files, and plenty of great vinyl selections. All playing through a pair of 105db efficient Klipschorn loudspeakers with an 18” Velodyne sub crossed over around 40Hz. Room is 24x20x8

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sounds great, I like the size of the room, I love when a speaker has a little room to breath and come together, nice.

I like the idea of the sub also, especially if you decide to not use it at times just turn it off, simple. I like to turn off the sub at times just to have a little difference on occasion. When a sub is done right it does not affect the mains, just reneforce where they leave off.

I think this is where some object to a sub, they probably heard them over done, crossosed to high or to much gain, which tends to muddy things up especially if the sub under performs the mains, just a little fill under the mains sounds good to me. Some say there is not much music down there, well they might be surprised how much really is down there, definitely worth having a sub. IMO

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, emw2net said:

I have Khorns the same vintage - Have yet to find the right set up. Recommendations? What cables do you use. Did you do any crossover/woofer modifications?1301042655_Klipschornspeakers(6).thumb.jpg.a37d4ab60e8c5dd54c3c3c14d811e2e2.jpg

Can't find the right setup?  Before changing anything I'd try turning them around and placing them tightly into the corners.  Hahaha!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, charlieboy said:

Sold my Khorns 13 years ago but now I have some again thanks to the “alert” thread here in the Garage Sale section. They are KBR 1979 vintage.

1B51F3ED-65C3-411D-BAF1-058D0A69ABB7.jpeg

13 is a very unlucky number. Better ship them up here and I'll keep them another year and remove any associated bad ju-ju before sending them back to you! 😉

Wb

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 9:22 PM, charlieboy said:

Sold my Khorns 13 years ago but now I have some again thanks to the “alert” thread here in the Garage Sale section. They are KBR 1979 vintage.

Very nice setup.  Enjoy them.  Bet they kick much better than the speakers next to them :-)

Pipe foam for seal into corner.....vertical and horizontal. Mid range washer....I used an O-ring on mine. I changed caps and woofer inductor made a type A with crites 4500 hz mod and his tweeter. 

Probably should check bass bin air tightness....not easy but it can be done . I found leaks in my 1972s due to old glue cracking probably. 

Since you got hard smooth floor you should get furniture grippers also.....learned that one from HDBR [ Andy]. 

On 9/27/2019 at 2:19 AM, glens said:

Can't find the right setup?  Before changing anything I'd try turning them around and placing them tightly into the corners.  Hahaha!

That is obviously not how they are set up. They are placed perfectly into the corners.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 5:25 PM, indyhawg said:

Nice set up.   Congrats on getting back to K-horns.

Thank you. It's been a long wait but it's been worth it. They kind of just walked into my life as I took a long break from searching as of the last few years. These and a pair of GPA Altec 604H II speakers in custom Stonehenge cabinets have always been on my bucket list and in a week or so I will be bringing home the Altecs for which I am having custom 300b amps made for. 

• Like 1