Khorns in the audio room... its been 13 years.

charlieboy

I have been wanting to build a pair of speakers around the GPA 604s for awhile. Just have not found the right deal on drivers.  Yours look awesome! I would really like to hear your impressions on the comparison between them and the khorns.

Unexpected time off so it's been jazz all day.... set the lights for a blue mood this morning and before I knew it the day was done. Swapped out the 2A3's for some 45's today. Glorious midrange with either but it's fun to hear the 45's and how 1 watt per channel can sing so good!

Snapseed-24-resize.jpg

Snapseed-23-resize.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 7:15 AM, No.4 said:

I have been wanting to build a pair of speakers around the GPA 604s for awhile. Just have not found the right deal on drivers.  Yours look awesome! I would really like to hear your impressions on the comparison between them and the khorns.

With the Klipschorns none of the drivers are aligned (and they still sound good). I was just going to get started with dsp delay/eq and tri-amplification about 13 years ago with my first set of Khorns but due to a divorce I ended up selling them and that never happened. I heard an amazing Khorn setup doing that with custom crossovers and it was amazing. They are the tweakers dream and I don't mind starting that process all over again. It's just hard to get motivated lately since I have just been enjoying my Altec 604H II's so much without all the extra tweaking other than tuning the cabinet and really good crossovers. I use the sub with both the Klipschorns and Altecs, just adding a tiny bit of a well crossed over sub adds something really nice to certain recordings.... for me anyway.

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, charlieboy said:

Snapseed (1).jpeg

So can you give us a comparison of your Stonehedge's vs. K-Horns? My guess is that the soundstage is more accurate and maybe even wider with the Stone's but better dynamics and volume with the K's. Please set us straight.

21 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

So can you give us a comparison of your Stonehedge's vs. K-Horns? My guess is that the soundstage is more accurate and maybe even wider with the Stone's but better dynamics and volume with the K's. Please set us straight.

Nothing has changed from my thoughts two posts above. I have been working so much lately I have not upgraded the Klipschorn crossovers (which to do a fair comparison is needed as they are the original 41 year old crossovers). Having said that the Altecs just sound better to me. Both can play louder than I need and with the extra 4db efficiency of the Khorns I'm sure they will go beyond the Altecs which are already plenty for me and the 20x24 room. The Klipschorns have been pulling stereo subwoofer duty for a few months now with solid state amplification (it's nice having remote controlled subwoofers as some recordings are too much and some are too lean and this allows great subwoofer level every time) and the entire setup sounds amazing. I need to take some detailed photos though and probably sell the Khorns as they are too nice to just sit in the corners as subwoofers, but before I do that I want to upgrade the crossovers and give them a fair shot for sure. 

• Like 2

If it were me, I would sell the Altecs, buy some K402 horns + appropriate drivers, put them on top of the KHorns bass bins, along with your choice of active crossover, and enjoy far better sound than anything else possible. oh yes you'll need two amps but I suppose you already have them.